Standard Horizon Explorer GX 1850 VHF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cargile

Vessel Name
Quasimodo
Vessel Make
Cargile Cutter
Bought a 2nd hand unit from A&G Electronics in the Lambs Yacht Center/Marina Jacksonville yesterday. Impressive facility. 126 page User's manual. No way am I going to print this out to keep on board for "quick reference. .pdf only. Radio has a DSC button which my old Uniden did not. Apparently there is a MMSI code registered in the radio. Whether to a person or vessel I am not sure. This is new territory for me. The manual states to change registration I must get a code from Standard Horizon. Does anyone have experience doing this? with DSC or MMSI? The tip of my antenna sits easily 25' above the water so I anticipate great VHF range. The DSC looks like a must have for offshore. Thanks.

Unable to help w/ the code, but glad that you are on the case as it's necessary to get it done before you need it. Will state with confidence that you can't go wrong with the Standard Horizon Explorer.

The MMSI belongs to the vessel and the owner. It identifies the vessel and is linked to the owners emergency contact list. If you don't change the number and press the Mayday button the CG will be calling the PO's emergency contacts, not yours. Obviously that won't do you much good. So get your own number and follow thier instructions to change it in the radio. MMSI's can be transferred but the original owner must start the process. Since you don't know who that it is it's a no go. You can get a number from the FCC or BoatUS. The FCC process is cumbersome and I believe there is a charge, the BoatUS process is easy and free. But... The BoatUS number only works in the US. No where else, even Canada. I'm not planning on leaving the country so I did the BoatUS number. If I do leave, I have a second radio I can put an FCC number in.

By US and international law, if you travel outside of US waters or communicate with foriegn stations or vessels you must have an FCC station license. No license required otherwise. The license comes with an MMSI so that's the process. FCC.gov.

Generally to change the MMSI in the radio you’ll need an authorized Standard Horizon service person or send the unit in to have it changed. The user is not allowed to change it themselves.

That's what I always thought. The manual for mine says to call for instructions. I don't know if those instructions tell you how to actually change it or how to send it in.

The manual does state they will send me a reset code. I wanted to copy and paste the text in the manual but Adobe will not let me do that with their free version so please take my word.

Some models come with the ability to change the MMSI one time and after the second MMSI has been inputted then it has to go back to the manufacturer. Maybe the code allows that to happen. I would call the manufacturer and ask how to get it done. But first get your own MMSI either from the FCC or Boat/US depending on your travel plans. And as said above if you plan on travel outside the US then you have to go the FCC route. With the FCC version your MMSI info gets on the international SAR databases, with the Boat/US it is only on the US database.

All sage advice. Thank you. They open shop at 1200 EST Monday. I will call them.

Back
Top Bottom