Star link

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motion30

Guru
I'm fed up with directv, they're poor options and the ridiculous $300 a month price. Thinking about starling so I can get Netflix and options like that.
What do I need to know about star link and my options?

We yanked out our DirectTV Dome and Dummy Dome, all hardware and said goodbye in May, 2024. Replaced with the High Performance model mounted on a Seaview mount painted to match our hull. Best move ever. Only downside is the power it needs, but we cut the breaker at night to save 1/3rd of the draw. It takes about 60 seconds to acquire the satellite connection and get back on line in the morning. We now have streaming TV, Internet and our iPhones function as Sat Phones. Pretty cool. We regularly see 220 MB down and 18 MB upload in Southern California. I think KVH, Intellian, etc. are in trouble. We kept our WiFi extender and cellular amplifier as back ups. Used now about 5 weeks in Catalina and the California Channel Islands with no issues.

That's where I am at this point I am paying DirecTV $300 a month and the programming is junk

The hardest part will likely be terminating the DirectTV account - they do not want to let you go : (

I find in these instances when you stop paying. They will let you go

I am cruising the Gulf Islands, swinging at anchor with the dish laying flat to avoid loss of signal, while typing this reply, while watching TV, or reading emails, surfing the net and receiving/making wifi phone calls.
I have GEN2 and would get it again if a freak accident damaged it, no need for GEN 3 unless you go offshore and/or are always on the move.
The only problem with SL is more and more people are getting it, hope it does not affect this service I have become accustomed to.

I use Starlink as well. The one caution is that if your media accounts like YouTube TV, or let’s say Netflix are US it won’t work in Canada - unless you create a proxy server to say you are in the US. Appletv works in Canada though with US subscription.

It's been over a year since I streamed TV via Starlink, but back then I found:
- Hulu Live TV and Youtube TV are geofenced, meaning they know where you are via the Starlink antenna. It won't work unless you change your location within their app (Hulu allows 2 per year) and Canada was not an option
- only FubtoTV didn't geofence and didn't care where you were, so that was our choice of live TV provider.

Don't forget, your Starlink is $150 but then your Live TV provider (FuboTV, Hulu Live or Youtube TV) is another ~$90. So you're into it $240/mo

While we have Starlink, we have DishNetwork at the house, so using receivers on the boat as a 3rd BR is about an extra $15/month. A better deal for us than $90/mo

I use Starlink as well. The one caution is that if your media accounts like YouTube TV, or let’s say Netflix are US it won’t work in Canada - unless you create a proxy server to say you are in the US. Appletv works in Canada though with US subscription.
I can’t speak for YoutubeTv but Netflix and YouTube work just fine in Canada. Some programming might be restricted but you probably won’t notice.

I don’t have any experience with starlink mini. I believe it could be the best answer for boats as it’s small, self contained and uses the least amount of power. I have been on Gen2 for two years and very happy with it.

I pulled my Intellian dome last summer, opened a tremendous amount of room on my arch.

I can use Direct TV Stream anywhere over Starlink.

I've used NordVPN for over 5 years, including the last 1+ year on Starlink. I have watched Netflix, Hulu, PlutoTV, and Amazon while in Mexico. When I was working, I used it during several business trips to Europe too. Occassionally I'll get an error about using a VPN at which point I'll change the server location on NordVPN. However, I have never been able to access Spectrum TV - they seem to object to even using a VPN (vs location).

We cut the cord on cable close to 5-years ago - it was an adjustment for my wife who had her programs she liked to record and watch. Netflix comes free with our T-Mobile phone plan. I'm letting the Amazon account lapse since I'm not buying as much anymore (not sure how that will go.....it's such a handy service). We do have a basic Spectrum subscription that's included in our rental condo in St Pete Beach so occasionally watch via a dumbed down app.

PlutoTV has filled the gap for mindless TV. They have an eclectic set of channels. I cannot get enough of American Greed episodes......

Peter

We got Starlink in April of 2022, so about 2 years and 4 months ago. We got the Residential, with Portability for $145/mo. (which is no longer offered).
We've used it from PNW, up to Alaska, down the West Coast to Panama, then to San Blas Islands Panama, where we converted to the "Mobile" plan for $150/mo, which allowed to get "offshore" for $2/gb while crossing the Caribbean to Florida.
Currently our plan is on hold since we get ATnT Wireless through our Mobley plan for less than $25/mo while land based here in Florida while we are renovating a new to us house.
Once we get back on the boat, we will reactivate the "Mobile" plan for $150/month, but even in the Bahamas see little reason to go to the "Offshore" plan.
We're looking forward to Amazon and others launching (tongue in cheek) new satellite based service so there will be some competition with Starlink, but except for the cost, we've been very pleased with Starlink over the past 28 months.

Back
Top Bottom