Starlink Mini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Cofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Puffin
Vessel Make
Willard Vega 30
Got the Starlink Mini yesterday and hooked it up on Puffin. The Wi-Fi router is built in, it operates on 12v and draws about 30 watts. Very simple to setup and connect. It is 11' x 10.5" and weighs a pound or two. For my usage it will be installed on the FB and plugged into a DC outlet when in use and stowed in a drawer when not needed.
Mini Deck 1.jpg
Mini Deck.jpg
Mini Screen.jpg

How does it mount to the surface? Can you show some detail from the underside?

And what about the plans? Are you happy with the cost?

• It comes with a kickstand bracket and also a bracket to mount on a pipe, I will take some more photos.
  • The plan is a $30 add on to my home service, now my total for both is $150 per month.
  • The price of admission seems a bit high at $599 for this system but I will be using it in multiple locations and it makes my wife happy.

The cost for those of us who use Starlink as our primary connectivity is $499 equipment + $30/mo for 50GB. I just paid $20 for 5GB with T-mobile for a prepaid hotspot to watch the Stanley cup final 2 games. I think its meant be portable so I'm not sure if there's more to do than a kick stand.

My understanding is that you must already have a home plan for $120 a month in order to get the $30 a month add on.

Good deal if you have a home plan. On the other hand it might justify dropping your home provider and switching to starlink at home if it’s costing you $150 on the boat anyway.

I have pretty much decided not to take the mini offer. The main reason is it would force me to replace the cable in my current boat and RV installation. On the boat since I already have the ethernet adapter, I will have to run a new power cable and new ethernet cable to the mast where the mini would be mounted. I wish they would have just gone with a straight POE connection and not a separate power cable.

Tom

I have Starlink Gen 3. Mounted flat on my pilot house roof. One can purchase a kit made of some plastic substance for the frame, and it has SS brackets holding it to the roof. About $100 depending on the quality (UV and color resistant) of the plastic. Installed flawlessly. Made by a company called Zephyr's Market.

I need to caulk the edge where it meets the roof, otherwise it is done. Being flat works just fine and is one less thing sticking up to snag something or person. The Starlink works flawlessly.

Attachments

• Starlink.JPG
    Starlink.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 9
My understanding is that you must already have a home plan for $120 a month in order to get the $30 a month add on.

Good deal if you have a home plan. On the other hand it might justify dropping your home provider and switching to starlink at home if it’s costing you $150 on the boat anyway.
That was my thought.....

Isn't the mobile RV plan $150/month? So you can get a home system for $120, the mobile for $30, and end up with both for the same price?

Isn't the mobile RV plan $150/month? So you can get a home system for $120, the mobile for $30, and end up with both for the same price?
Early reports were the Mini is throttled at 30 gb per month. Bob/OP - is that correct?

Peter

You go over that 50GB in a month and it's 1$ per GB overage fee per billing cycle. The Mini may be a good solution if you already have a residential account, and need an extra connection somewhere else - and it does have lower power draw than the regular antennas. Might be a good for on-board security camera, emails and lighter web surfing. If you want to watch 4K TV, you'll be spending more on excess data fees - so it'll all depend on how you use it. It is rumored that the pricing model might change once they roll out more satellites and increase capacity - not sure if that means it'll get any cheaper...

Back
Top Bottom