Starlink raises prices adds Costal Coverage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiltrider1

Guru
Vessel Name
AZZURRA
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 54
First, Starlink is raising the price of Mobile Roam to $165. You will get in motion for speeds up to 100mph and you will get Costal coverage.

Now if only I knew what the definition of costal coverage was.

Starlink Mexico has the same changes. Starlink Roam subscription increased 25% a couple months ago, though it's still quite a bit less than the US subscription - it's now $1650 MXP ($82 USD at current exchange rates). It had been $1300 MXP ($65 USD).

Peter

Pricing in Canada is $189.00 for roam package including the above noted improvments.

James

What is the "Roam" service plan?​

The Starlink "Roam" plan provides high-speed data on the go, with no long-term contracts or commitments.
Included with the Starlink "Roam" Service Plan:
  • Unlimited or 50GB of data
  • Countrywide coverage within country of account address
  • In-motion use up to 100 Mph / 160 Kph
  • Ability to pause and un-pause service at any time (billing is in one-month increments)
  • International travel in available markets for up to 2 months per trip
  • Coastal coverage in territorial waters for up to 2 months per trip
  • For Roam 50GB, ability to opt into purchasing additional data by the GB is supported

I’m also wondering what “Coastal coverage” means.

Also, the terms of service say that the Roam plan provides “Unlimited or 50 GB of data.” But I couldn’t find an explanation of which it is, and what the “or” means.

I’ve always had unlimited data on my Roam plan, and I’d like to be sure it’s going to stay that way.

Mobile roam is unlimited but non priority. You can sign up for priority and then you pay per gigabyte.
But be careful as some plans upgraded cannot be reversed.
I have the unlimited, but if I want priority I can opt on/off at an add on fee. Never have needed it.

The terms of service for US and Canada say:

The Roam Unlimited Service Plan allows you to access Roam Unlimited Services at any land-based destination and in any coastal waters (up to 12 nautical miles off the coast and for a period of up to 2 months) where Starlink provides active coverage around the world. Roam Unlimited Services cannot be used on the open ocean. Roam Unlimited Services can be used in motion (up to 100 MPH or 160 KPH) and can be paused and un-paused at any time. When un-paused, the monthly Roam Unlimited subscription fee will be charged immediately, on a pro-rated basis. If you use Roam Unlimited Services for more than two months in a calendar year in a country that is different than your account address, Starlink may require you to move your registered address to your new location or return to the country listed as your account address.

The big downer is no more ability to opt in to priority data to get offshore service for an additional per GB charge unless you upgrade to Global Roam for $$$ ($400/month for US accounts). On the upside looks like no more 10 mph limit for in motion use.

Also, the terms of service say that the Roam plan provides “Unlimited or 50 GB of data.” But I couldn’t find an explanation of which it is, and what the “or” means.

There are two roam plans now to pick from, the 50 GB one was introduced with the mini. You still have "unlimited" data on the "unlimited" plan.

Roam 50 GB The Mini Roam plan includes 50 GB of Mobile data that can be used anywhere in United States. You can opt in to purchase additional data for $1/GB.

The terms of service for US and Canada say:

The big downer is no more ability to opt in to priority data to get offshore service for an additional per GB charge unless you upgrade to Global Roam for $$$ ($400/month for US accounts). On the upside looks like no more 10 mph limit for in motion use.

My account is on pause until we return to the boat in 2-months or so. This is a Mexico plan so possibly different than US. Appears the option to use offshore data still exists for the Mobile Roam account "OPT IN TO MOBILE PRIORITY DATA TO ENABLE NETWORK PRIORITY AND OCEAN ACCESS."

Sounds promising - see attached screenshot I just pulled off my account.

Peter

Attachments

• SL Mobile Priority.jpg
    SL Mobile Priority.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 11
Appears the option to use offshore data still exists for the Mobile Roam account "OPT IN TO MOBILE PRIORITY DATA TO ENABLE NETWORK PRIORITY AND OCEAN ACCESS."

One can hope, but my understanding is that will change starting 10/10/2024 as just announced so I wouldn't be too optimistic. The Mexico terms of service have the same language.

At least they are giving warning before changes this time, unlike sometimes in the past.

My account is on pause until we return to the boat in 2-months or so. This is a Mexico plan so possibly different than US. Appears the option to use offshore data still exists for the Mobile Roam account "OPT IN TO MOBILE PRIORITY DATA TO ENABLE NETWORK PRIORITY AND OCEAN ACCESS."

Sounds promising - see attached screenshot I just pulled off my account.

Peter
I have the same wording and CAN$ as your picture

Back
Top Bottom