Starlink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get this message:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN ORDERING STARLINK!
Starlink Maritime is currently not available in your area. Please check back again for future availability.

A neighboring boat has Starlink aboard, working at "exceptional Speed", though not the "Maritime" version.

For me, Starlink Maritime is available here on the Gulf Coast -- Corpus Christi, TX. I did not order... My Residential with Portability works fine docked at the marina and at anchor. I never use it while underway.

The maritime terminal is designed specifcally for use in motion so it is probably on some type of stabilized platform in some type of radome. The reason for two terminals is to get the 350 Mbps speed and also continuity of service when part of the structure of the vessel blocks a terminal. There is probably a lot of different software involved so that the terminals are looking at different satellites all the time. I would be interested in looking at one, but $10,000 for a true maritime terminal with that capability is not a bad price. The service price probably includes the cost of using the laser crosslinks since on the satellites involved could be using a lot of constellation resources.

I'll stick with my home terminal. I wish I had brought it along this year.

Tom

Guy
I picked up Starlink just fine from a boat moored two slips away. They were generous enough to provide password. ? Thanks Scot

No problem! And I answered my own question, our Starlink stopped working about 15 miles North of Petersburg, AK. We're now near Juneau, AK, and using our old ATnT wifi. . . 22.95 mbps down, 9.90 up, ping of 81, vs Starlink in the low 200's down, 20 to 40 up, and pings in the mid 20's . . . but now working North of Petersburg, and we'll not pick it up again until South of Sitka, but by next year, all of AK is supposed to be covered! But next year we're going to Mexico. . . . Great news, Mexico ALREADY has Starlink coverage!

I put in my pre-order Feb 8th, 2021, it got filled June 20th, 2022. I originally got it to use on boat, rv, and back up at the house when my regular service goes down. I have tested my speeds just about every day, so far my best speed has been 38mbs download. Im at 30deg Lat.

While some might say this is good, I get about 45mbs our of my AT&T($20/month) and TMob ($25/month) hotspots. Slowlink @$110/month is criminal.

The technology is certainly there, but since they have over sold the bandwidth, people really need to keep expectations in check.

Bottom line, Slowlink needed cash and just stared pushing units out to stave off their cash crunch, service will suck bad for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
I put in my pre-order Feb 8th, 2021, it got filled June 20th, 2022. I originally got it to use on boat, rv, and back up at the house when my regular service goes down. I have tested my speeds just about every day, so far my best speed has been 38mbs download. Im at 30deg Lat.

While some might say this is good, I get about 45mbs our of my AT&T($20/month) and TMob ($25/month) hotspots. Slowlink @$110/month is criminal.

The technology is certainly there, but since they have over sold the bandwidth, people really need to keep expectations in check.

Bottom line, Slowlink needed cash and just stared pushing units out to stave off their cash crunch, service will suck bad for the foreseeable future.

I'm at 27.8 deg lat and regularly get over 185 mbs down and 35 plus up. Definitely something wrong happening with yours.

@HT You need to spend some time in the Slowlink forums my friend, every other post is one complaining about congestion, poor service and outages. Im glad your cell isn't over sold, enjoy it while you can.

Last edited:
So at an equipment cost of $10,000, and monthly service cost of $5,000, is there anyone here who would consider StarLink's Marine offering?

I thought I was only going to get one year's use out of my Intellian V60, but it now looks like I'll be using it for years to comes.

And now that the Marine version is available, how long do you think it will be before StarLink blocks operation of the Home and RV products when you are over water, and the systems people are using today, and buying today stop working?

I am just guessing but do you think the marine version would be like for a cruise ship or some operation allowing a lot of connections. For me its just checking mail and netflix.

The maritime terminal is designed specifcally for use in motion so it is probably on some type of stabilized platform in some type of radome.

It looks to be just a pair of larger flat panels with the same style positioning mechanism as the rectangular dishes.

Attachments

• BEAFECEC-2DCF-4751-AD5C-8A7C87F0D08B.jpg
    BEAFECEC-2DCF-4751-AD5C-8A7C87F0D08B.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 33
And now that the Marine version is available, how long do you think it will be before StarLink blocks operation of the Home and RV products when you are over water, and the systems people are using today, and buying today stop working?

I’d be surprised if they cut off service to consumer terminals in areas where they already provide it. My bet would be that they continue to offer best effort service for reasonable price to RV and residential+portability customers anywhere they provide service via satellites directly connected to a ground station.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they offered some intermediate tier of best effort service via a cheaper terminal offshore via laser interconnects while giving high bandwidth priority to the commercial users and super yachts who spring for the maritime product.

But maybe I’m an optimist.

I saw on the news tonight they shot up 50 more birds.

I’d be surprised if they cut off service to consumer terminals in areas where they already provide it. My bet would be that they continue to offer best effort service for reasonable price to RV and residential+portability customers anywhere they provide service via satellites directly connected to a ground station.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they offered some intermediate tier of best effort service via a cheaper terminal offshore via laser interconnects while giving high bandwidth priority to the commercial users and super yachts who spring for the maritime product.

But maybe I’m an optimist.

I'm thinking about coastal and near-shore cruising where lots of people are using Starlink today, and lots of people are buying it every day. Now that there is a Marine offering at 50x the price, it seems that they will have to draw the line somewhere to get people to buy the marine package vs just using the existing product and data plans as they are today.

Maybe the marine product will be used for off-shore locations where there isn't currently service, so a non-overlapping, expanded service area. But that would seem to limit customers to those who spend a lot of time off shore and need the extra bandwidth.

But I think if they want coastal and near-shore customers to buy the Marine product, they will have to force them to by restricting use of the other products to areas over land.

I don't know how KVH's and Intellian's business breaks down between the two groups of users, but I think (actually I'm certain) that Startlink could completely sweep the coastal and near-shore market taking 100% of the business just using their existing offering. But with the recent marine offering, I think they will take none of that market.

Last edited:
It is a pretty baffling pricing strategy. $10k hardware + $5k/mo vs $600 hardware + $135/mo. That's an absolutely massive gap, and the maritime unit still doesn't provide coverage far out at sea. I agree I don't see who will go for the maritime version aside from the megayacht crowd (dozens of customers? maybe a hundred?)

I'm thinking about coastal and near-shore cruising where lots of people are using Starlink today, and lots of people are buying it every day. Now that there is a Marine offering at 50x the price, it seems that they will have to draw the line somewhere to get people to buy the marine package vs just using the existing product and data plans as they are today.

Maybe the marine product will be used for off-shore locations where there isn't currently service, so a non-overlapping, expanded service area. But that would seem to limit customers to those who spend a lot of time off shore and need the extra bandwidth.

But I think if they want coastal and near-shore customers to buy the Marine product, they will have to force them to by restricting use of the other products to areas over land.

I don't know how KVH's and Intellian's business breaks down between the two groups of users, but I think (actually I'm certain) that Startlink could completely sweep the coastal and near-shore market taking 100% of the business just using their existing offering. But with the recent marine offering, I think they will take none of that market.

I think you're right. Maritime Starlink as announced is just about useless for everyone here. The higher speed and more stable connection aren't nearly as important as lower price, lower power consumption, and smaller footprint.

My hope is this Starlink maritime offering is geared more towards larger boats than what most of us have. I was recently talking with a small commercial fleet operator about their connectivity and was blown away by what they're happily paying for LTE service...$500 for a few hundred GB of data, 10x what I pay as a consumer. The cost was small in their overall operation and they liked the support offered by a provider that specializes in providing internet to ships. They weren't interested in a Starlink setup that wasn't officially supported for their type of work, no matter how cheap or fast. They spend 10s of thousands a month on VSAT. I suspect this is typical for cruise ships, tug boats, container ships, bulk carriers, etc.

I would be happy with the current level of service and residential hardware on a "best effort" basis at the current price. I'd also be happy to pay substantially more, into the low end VSAT price range, for a Starlink small boat offering that provided service further offshore and while underway.

The coverage map doesn't seem entirely accurate. I'm currently on a boat in Hawaii and have had excellent coverage for several weeks using the RV service and rectangular dishy, even though the map doesn't show coverage here until later this year.

It would seem KVH is playing catch up?

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/tech...PTI&utm_content=219006237&utm_source=hs_email

Saw this on fb

People- step away for the crack pipe and stop getting all worked up about the new SL maritime offering. It’s targeted at commercial users, mega yachts, cruise ships, etc.

Enjoy your residential/RV setups and quit living in fear and rampant speculation…

It works!

I brought my box o’ STARLINK stuff to the boat today, plugged it all together, and set the dish on the boat deck. Yay - it worked! Now I have to wait for the pole mount I ordered and I can create a more ideal place to mount it.

It’s going to be great!!

Saw this on fb

People- step away for the crack pipe and stop getting all worked up about the new SL maritime offering. It’s targeted at commercial users, mega yachts, cruise ships, etc.

Enjoy your residential/RV setups and quit living in fear and rampant speculation…

I think you are correct but Starlink could be much more clearer on their marketing of the Maritime package.

From Starlink, https://www.starlink.com/maritime

From merchant vessels to oil rigs to premium yachts, Starlink Maritime allows you to connect from the most remote waters across the world, just like you would in the office or at home.

The Marine package appears to be two of the Dishy's being sent to people with land based homes. Appears because that is what is shown in the photos and there is no other information but,

High-speed, low-latency internet with up to 350 Mbps download while at sea. $5,000/mo with a one-time hardware cost of $10,000 for two high performance terminals.

So what does premium yachts mean? I sure don't think the yacht they show would be premium in my book. Bill Gate's yacht would be a premium yacht.

The other thing that is odd about this is the cost. It just does not make sense. It is $5,000 for each dishy. 350 Mbps is not that fast for two dishys so do they have a networking solution that would allow more connections? Maybe that makes sense for merchant ships, oil platforms and larger ship yachts that have dozens of people on board but I am still skeptical the network is the issue. More likely Starlink is looking at the competition and pricing accordingly.

If Starlink holds to that price for "normal" yachts they will loose the market for no reason I can see.

Later,
Dan

Here’s an analysis by a mobile Internet YouTuber: https://youtu.be/_A1O73ZTg84

In brief, as many here have pointed out, the target market is the commercial sector, which includes mega-yachts. Nothing for us to see here (or most of us). As for coverage, he covered a rollout plan for the laser-connected satellites, which reduces the reliance on ground stations. And he speculates that Starlink for Cruisers (totally made-up name) will roll out as soon as they’ve gotten the commercial sector covered.

From a business standpoint, this makes a ton of sense. Commercial users will be less-impactful to their bandwidth constraints, and probably be more tolerant of problems so long as the service is at least as good as what they have. Service desk calls will be reduced, because a) there are less customers; and b) commercial operations will have their own internal troubleshooting systems and people to buffer some of the problems encountered by retail users.

I’m just glad to see that global, usable Internet is… ahem… on the horizon. I should be able to work from anywhere I can get reliable 50 Mbps, and that includes enough that my wife can be streaming something on YouTube or Netflix while I’m in a meeting.

I know of a user that has the dish mounted horizontal with no motors and they have been getting good performance in the pacific nw leading me to believe we must have satellites straight above but i was a little south of seattle over the fourth and observed a fellow next to me and his dish was at an angle. It seems odd. What have you guys seen for the dish point direction? Has it been straight up?

The Marine package appears to be two of the Dishy's being sent to people with land based homes.

If you look carefully you will see that these appear to be identical to the larger, square dishes that they were already selling for $2500 each for the Starlink Business service, so the pricing at $5000 a pair makes perfect sense. I think the branding of this as Starlink *Maritime* and not *Marine* was very intentional.

https://www.starlink.com/business

I know of a user that has the dish mounted horizontal with no motors and they have been getting good performance in the pacific nw leading me to believe we must have satellites straight above but i was a little south of seattle over the fourth and observed a fellow next to me and his dish was at an angle. It seems odd. What have you guys seen for the dish point direction? Has it been straight up?

It is a totally different game than many previous satellite systems you may be familiar with due to the sheer number of satellites currently in orbit, which will only grow, and them not being geosynchronous. There is no one black and white complete answer, but a lot of factors that play into it. You can see the current positions of satellites using one of the third party sites such as https://satellitemap.space/ which can help visualize what is going on.

On one hand, yes, there absolutely are satellites straight above-ish in the PNW (until you go too far north). But there don't have to be for it to work pointed straight up.

I'm not sure if calling it a "dish" is technically accurate (note: starlink does call it a dish), at least in the traditional sense where a dish is shaped to transmit a signal in a specific direction, as it is a "steerable" phased array that can transmit over something like an 80 degree swath. So even if it isn't pointing in the "right" direction it can still work just potentially less well, or with more interruptions or using more power, or being less tolerant of having obstructions in the way, or sub-optimally in other ways. So where it is pointing is only one small part of what satellites it is actually talking to. It can, and needs to, switch very rapidly between satellites as they move into and out of view and I believe it can also transmit to and receive from multiple satellites at once.

Exactly where the dish physically points depends on location, it points northward in most places in the northern hemisphere partially to avoid interfering with other geosynchronous satellites (ie. always in the same relative place, you point your old school dish at them and you are set). Currently on the west coast of Vancouver Island, near the current coverage limits, it has a more easterly bias than in Seattle. That isn't due to where the satellites are, since they keep orbiting, but is because currently a satellite has to be able to talk directly to a ground station to deliver service and the nearest ones are in the Seattle area and Ketchikan, I believe.

The full set of logic about where it points when is not publicly known so there could be other optimization related reasons that are about making the best use of Starlink's resources, currently satellites and ground stations but soon to also be laser links between satellites. There are spectrum licensing restrictions on what angles it can transmit at so even if it technically could work in a specific orientation, it likely will refuse to send signals certain ways.

Recently, there are reports of it automatically positioning itself to point straight up if used in motion but they are quite anecdotal. I've experienced the same thing but, again, only anecdotally.

Heck, mine was temporarily working pointing "the other horizontally" when I lowered the mast it was on briefly to do some maintenance.

This is also how it can work, to varying degrees, swinging at anchor without it physically tracking to the "ideal" angle. It makes no attempt to continuously reposition itself as the boat swings. Folks disable the motors and point it straight up to reduce blips, which are especially noticeable for videoconferencing but not necessarily an issue for streaming, web browsing, etc. The (not yet released) $$$ maritime version will be a "flat panel" which presumably will have no motors at all. They are initially releasing the maritime service with existing dishes before those are available.

If you look carefully you will see that these appear to be identical to the larger, square dishes that they were already selling for $2500 each for the Starlink Business service, so the pricing at $5000 a pair makes perfect sense. I think the branding of this as Starlink *Maritime* and not *Marine* was very intentional.

https://www.starlink.com/business

Yes, for now. The ordering page says:

"Customers will have the option to upgrade to a flat panel Starlink and mounting hardware in Q4 2022."

I'd bet that flat panel version will be used for more than just the maritime plan. They are also testing higher duty cycles for higher transmit speeds, however that brings human safety regulations and factors into play so would require professional installation with proper locations and warnings, etc. similar to high powered radars.

My order shipped today and says i will have friday by end of day. It originally was the 24th so they dont appear to be having any supply issues.

Question:

For those that use the Starlink on their boat, and at their home, where the boat is docked:

How to you use the service at home, when the boat is docked? Need a separate antenna or router? (What device, if any ties your equipment to your account?

I'd rather not have to move the antenna..... looks like a PITA....

However, what service range to you have from the boat? Will it transmit 100 feet? And they advertise a "supplemental" antenna for rooms that are further away, would that work for extending the service from boat to home?

Thx

Question:

For those that use the Starlink on their boat, and at their home, where the boat is docked:

How to you use the service at home, when the boat is docked? Need a separate antenna or router? (What device, if any ties your equipment to your account?

However, what service range to you have from the boat? Will it transmit 100 feet? And they advertise a "supplemental" antenna for rooms that are further away, would that work for extending the service from boat to home?

Thx

How far from boat to house?

Thought I read it comes with 100 foot cable.... too much PIA putting the antenna half way and running either 2 cables or just pulling the one back and forth and just carrying the router back and forth?

Question:

Thx

You could point the Starlink Router towards the house and the WiFi might be usable inside or you might have to use an extender for the house.

To get faster performance we pointed the router to the part of the house where WiFi is most used and speed is more important. We use an extender to improve WiFi in the other part of the house. Starlink has an mesh adapter now but we just used the extenders we already had in the house.

One could by the cable that goes from the router to Dishy and put that in place in the house. IF, and it is a big IF, it is easy to place Dishy at the house, just attaching Dishy to the house cable and moving the router to the house is not that much work. I suspect for most people, access to where Dishy needs to be located is not easy. I know our is not.

Later,
Dan

Back
Top Bottom