Starlink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WindMaiden

For a boat, to stay in the state of WA, in the San Juan. What type of Starlink do I need? Can it be residential or do I need for boat/rv?

My residential plan is based in Seattle I can travel about 5 miles as the crow flies and everything is fine. After that I get a message that says out of location. Then all I need do is switch to the Roam plan and I have service again. Technically, Roam is lower priority but I never notice the difference. I do notice the extra $30.

Good to know you can now switch between residential and mobile.
Can You pause/unpause service too.

so the roaming allow you to go out of your residence for 30$ per month?
Yes, for $30 additional, in other words for $150 a month.. I went Regional Roam all last summer. Once I got back home I switched to Residential. I leave Starlink on all year so I am not familiar with pause.

OK, then you do not need pause. Mine is on the boat so I pause when not needed, only pay from start to month end. Pause at end of month and unpause on first day I want service. Bill is prorated.

It can get pretty slow in the San Juan’s with deprioritized traffic. I had to run on priority traffic at $2/gb for work…

(apologies for double post, but it seems relevant to two threads) In good news, it now looks like the Mini is available for everyone: Starlink Mini drops residential subscriptions and opens up to everyone in the US

Given the fact that it uses DC and has no separate control box, it seems like a winner for a boat. Plus there is a reasonably priced low-data plan $50 for 50GB, and the regional unlimited (but not in motion) plan for $150/month.

I switched the boat to Residential from Regional Roam back in March. The boat wasn’t going to leave the dock due to maintenance.

A week ago we left the dock for a shake down run. I noticed a message on Starlink that said disconnected due to being in motion. I had never seen that before and was a bit surprised since I was only doing 10 knots. We anchored for the night about 15 miles from our home. Once stopped Starlink went back to working. Same happened on the way back home.

We are now off for the summer and Starlink turned off again while I was in motion. We have now traveled 60 miles from home and Starlink sent a message of not being at my home location so I switched to Regional Mobile and now everything is back to working.

I have not been in motion since switching back to Regional Mobile so we will see what happens in a few days when I leave the dock again.

Yes, I believe you are correct. We will know for sure in a few days when I go in-motion with my Regional Mobile account.

In the past I have never lost connection while being in Regional Mobile.

Back
Top Bottom