Steel hull repair question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandog

Hello. I have purchased a Dutch-built steel hull trawler. During the ultrasound, it was found to have two spots that are thinner than it should. Plate is built at 0.375" In one of the spots, starboard side, plate thickness measured 0.20", port side, plate thickness was measured at 0.23". Both spots about 18" diameter, where the plate than goes back to 0.30 or above. The spots were caused by leaving fuel in the tanks, and water accumulating. The fuel has been removed, and tanks are now dry. Have been for some time. Both spots are just to the side each side of the keel. With all of that being said, what is the proper form for fixing this? And can anyone recommend a welder for this in the Houston, Galveston, TX area?

I have enclosed a few pics to show just the general location.

Attachments

• InkedMe_Too_478.332100029_large_LI With area marked.jpg
    InkedMe_Too_478.332100029_large_LI With area marked.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Inked3394-400x284_LI with area marked.jpg
    Inked3394-400x284_LI with area marked.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Inked3392_LI with area marked.jpg
    Inked3392_LI with area marked.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 34
I'm guessing the wastage is all on the inside.

You can cut out the area and weld in new or weld a plate on the inside over the bad spots.
When you're done, use a tank coating approved for diesel and it will never happen again.

I don't have any personal experience with steel boat repair but there are a few commercial facilities that do steel repair--barges and other steel boats. They are concentrated on what used to be Port Industrial Drive and now called Harborside and the other area would be on Pelican Island

https://www.pier77texas.com/pages/equipment.html

https://www.gulfcopper.com/services/marine-services/

http://http://www.arc-marine.com/

If you want to look around some and find other possibilities there is a concentration of shrimp boats at Pier 19--they might have someone they know of. And on Teichmann Rd there is another cluster of marinas--Payco is a do it yourself yard where they might know of other options and there is another area farther down Teichmann road (it is a dead-end) where they have a marina and a salvage operation.

Again--I have never had need to use any of the above but there is a lot of barge work, crew boat and larger repairs, jack-up oil rig work, etc so I am sure there are some competent people around---

Commercial yards might be your best bet especially considering your location. However, remind them that you are a yacht, not a commercial vessel. What might be the easiest and cheapest fix is what is known as a "doubler." However, doublers are not acceptable for a vessel under USCG classification so be sure to make them aware that is not applicable to you.

When going to a commercial/work boat yard ask them to protect the flooring and other surfaces where they'll be working if they are not accustomed to working on yachts.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Trawler Forum mobile app

The yard is a commercial yard on the Bolivar peninsula, and they are having a very difficult time getting workers for anything currently. I looked at doublers but figured that is not the best way to go, as it is the fuel tank and currently they are empty, so easier to do the right now in TX, as I am taking it to the west coast for me to use, and yards there are quite pricey.

I can cut out the pieces but have no experience with penetrative welding, so definitely need the assistance that is there.

So, you need to install an ‘insert’. That is, cut out the corroded plate and replace it. To be done properly it should ideally be at least 18” x 18” and pass over at least one frame to which it should be attached.
Anything less than that is called a postage stamp and generally not approved by any authority (which is probably not an issue as your boat is not an inspected vessel?)
I can’t stress this next point enough. Ventilate the area well with blower fans and get a chemist certificate stating ‘safe for men, safe for fire’. You don’t want to blow up your boat and it CAN happen.
As for where to get it done. Look for a place that hauls out shrimp trawlers or oyster boats. There are plenty of them in the area. Ask in there who does the work. There are literally hundreds of guys with welding machines on the back of pick up trucks that make a living doing this kind of stuff along the Gulf Coast.
Personally I usually go to Henderson Bayou on Galveston Bay, the yard lets you do your own work and there’s always a truck welder guy in the area.

Back
Top Bottom