Stern Thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butch

Has anyone installed or have a stern thruster on a
36’ Albin Trawler with rear cabin. I was thinking about installing one but wanted to see what you folks had to say.
Thanks
Butch

I put one on our last boat a President 41. It was fairly easy. Measure, cut an 8” hole and bolt it on then hook it up electrically. Loved it for docking since I had to climb down from the flybridge to handle the stern line. By that time the stern would have blown off the dock.

We’re you able to center it on the stern or was the rudder arm in the way? If the center won’t work mioving it more towards the Port side work as well.
Thanks
Butch

I was able to put it on the centerline but it will work just as well if it is offset. The critical measurement is the depth of the tunnel below the waterline.

Here are photos of my installation.

Attachments

• IMG_1313.jpeg
    IMG_1313.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1314.jpeg
    IMG_1314.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_4.jpeg
    IMG_4.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1317.jpeg
    IMG_1317.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 49
Just as another option....Dickson makes a hydraulic stern thruster that is very reliable. And there are no holes below the water line. And unlimited duty cycle.

My Mainship 34HT has an off center stern thruster and I see no issues with that placement. The thrust is 90° to the boat centerline and moves the stern port /;stbd fine.

Just as another option....Dickson makes a hydraulic stern thruster that is very reliable. And there are no holes below the water line. And unlimited duty cycle.

Problem with a hydraulic thruster is at idle, docking speed, the thrust may not be enough.

I have a hydraulic stern thruster on my Sundowner 30 mounted just off center line. Works great even at idle of main engine which drives the hydraulics. It was mounted on transom and can be slid up and down about 8”.

I had a Dickson on my 40 Albin. There are advantages to a hydraulic thruster for sure.
One is that it does not time out. It can run for ever if you want it to. Great for holding against a dock while you tie lines, etc.
But Liz you can vary engine rpm to Gove more thrust when needed.
I also had to replace the motor and external hydraulic lines when one corroded thru. I was able to do that while in the water.

Back
Top Bottom