Strainer baskets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grahambda

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bom Dia
Vessel Make
DeFever 44 OC
Part way through servicing the Groco SV series seacocks, so far so good, however during the process I found that 3 of the 5 combo seacock/strainers had no strainer baskets installed! I can only think this was due to the PO not being able to source any due to age and they are probably discontinued.

Has anyone found a source for these, or recommendations on modifying another model of strainer basket?

BTW I used diluted muriatic acid to clean up the very dirty and impossible to see through, pvc strainer housing , soaked for 5 minutes then rinsed off, they came out great.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230412_165615 2.jpg
    20230412_165615 2.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230412_165612.jpg
    20230412_165612.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 59
Maybe make your own out of S/S perforated sheet metal?

Do the seacocks have screens on the outside of the hull? Often with screens on the outside, strainers aren't needed on the inside. Maybe the boat was retrofitted and the strainer baskets were removed. Here is a picture of an external strainer on my boat.

20221015_124950.jpg

I use a nylon basket that Groco offers, in my internal strainer. The stainless ones are subject to electrolysis and eventually deteriorate.

Ted

I had to replace mine I had no problems in finding replacements on line.

Ted is right, thats what happened to mine.

It has been my experience, if the handle is broken, someone did not take time to seat the strainer properly.

Take it up to West Marine.

Baskets are generally made of SS. They usually fail at the weld where the handle is welded to the basket.

Last edited:
Groco’s docs list all the spare part numbers, then just google for the part. Worst case you can order from Groco if you can’t find them more conveniently.

Found them!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I found them! Depco Pumps has extensive spares for Groco and had them in stock. I bit of a sticker shock at 185.00 each, but of course it’s for a boat.

Depco Pump Company

Very helpful and knowledgeable team, highly recommend them for all pump and seacock related kit.

Not very

4” x 1 1/2”.:ermm:

If I wasn’t scrambling to get the boat back in the water would probably have fabricated them.

It's possible that they were never installed because there is a separate bronze strainer on the actual water intake underneath the boat.

I needed a replacement basket for a Vetus 330 strainer, and it was cheaper to buy a complete new strainer assembly with the basket for $120 than to buy a replacement basket! Of course, in England, the basket was 12.95 British Pounds, but they wouldn't ship to the U.S. . . . . Ahhhhh, you really gotta love boats!

Yes, Depco are expensive but what can you do sometimes. Needed a rebuild kit for a small Jabsco diaphragm water pump… 3 pieces of Buna N. $65 plus $29 for USPS postage. Vendor of last resort for me.

Screen on the sea chest but not enough to filter

Do the seacocks have screens on the outside of the hull? Often with screens on the outside, strainers aren't needed on the inside. Maybe the boat was retrofitted and the strainer baskets were removed. Here is a picture of an external strainer on my boat.

View attachment 137892

I use a nylon basket that Groco offers, in my internal strainer. The stainless ones are subject to electrolysis and eventually deteriorate.

Ted
Hi Ted, my trawler is a Defever and those have a sea chest (where the majority of the seacocks are installed. "It has a larger "grate" on the hull, which would stop any large debris, but when I cleaned out the stainers, most still had some turtle grass etc being down into them - enough to cause an issue with the heat exchangers if no strainer basket.

Hi Ted, my trawler is a Defever and those have a sea chest (where the majority of the seacocks are installed. "It has a larger "grate" on the hull, which would stop any large debris, but when I cleaned out the stainers, most still had some turtle grass etc being down into them - enough to cause an issue with the heat exchangers if no strainer basket.
Yes, the grates aren't a fine enough filtration. The stainless perforated sheet metal on mine have 5/32" holes which block 99%. I still use the Groco strainer to pick up the last little bit.

Ted

Have found sometimes if appropriate and not supplied, you can put a very small button zinc or a pencil on a strainer basket. It helps them last longer. Now a days prefer the plastic ones if available in that size. Also if I can I pick them up by putting my fingers inside and slide them up gently.
Also like pump savers before all domestic exhaust pumps.
Don’t like screens on the outside. Usually hard to clean out growth if it collects inside the screen without removal. That maybe hard to do in the water or uncomfortable in cold water.

Last edited:
2 things can happen to the SS strainers.
1. They can be inserted incorrectly and the strainer top will bend or break the strainer handle
2. The crappy weld can rust and the strainer handle will break loose.

Mine were about $50 from West Marine and still are.
Depco is a great company and they've been good to me but $185 sounds high - unless those strainers are a lot bigger and more special than they look in the picture.

Iirc I paid 79.95 at Boat Owners Warehouse.

Back
Top Bottom