Strataglass Deep scratch repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mainship Pilot

Vessel Name
Eagle
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot II, Prior vessel 43’ Bluesea
I’m pretty sure my daughters jewelry caused this as she was climbing around to the bow. Any ideas how to fix/fill this so it’s less noticeable? Strat is less than a year old and is always covered and protected at the slip. Help!
IMG_3479.jpeg

I saw IMAR was specifically a Strat polish, is this the right stuff? If so, are there application suggestions for the deep scratch portion?

Not to be the bearer of bad news but if it is as deep as you suspect there probably isn’t a way to fix it. I agree on the Imar approach but don’t hold too much hope. And make some new rules for the boat as to what people can wear and what they have to leave at home.

Hummmm Dave, You are making the assumption I wield that kind of authority around the Admiral and our Lieutenant! :cool:

I'm afraid you are out of luck. It likely has a scratch resistant coating and can't be polished out. If it bothers you enough some canvas shops can replace the plastic, but sometimes it's more straight-forward to just have the panel remade. Bummer too since that panel looks to otherwise be in perfect condition....

If you are in San Diego I know a great canvas guy.

BTW, from the looks of your picture like you are first line out in Avalon near the fuel dock, that's a nice place to be!

That’s what I was afraid of, gonna just have to live with it I guess, was hoping someone would have some kind of magic blemish repair solution. Yes Alphabet row in Avalon, best 30’ moorings!

Lol, but not really funny I hate marks that won't come out and when things cannot be repaired. Took the 23 AMG G to be ceramic coated, when driving on a hill in the right light, there it was, a scratch in the glass! Big deal at the time, not so much now....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240810_093512_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240810_093512_Chrome.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230818_114011.jpg
    20230818_114011.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 21
I’m pretty sure my daughters jewelry caused this as she was climbing around to the bow. Any ideas how to fix/fill this so it’s less noticeable? Strat is less than a year old and is always covered and protected at the slip. Help!View attachment 157125
Just accept that you can’t own anything nice.

Just kidding, a whole year before the first major scratch is pretty good.

Just remember, boats are made to be used, if they are not used due to fear of leaving a mark, that’s a shame.

Let the scratch be a reminder of the great time you had, and be thankful your daughter I’ll boat with you (and she can afford to have jewellery and hasn’t traded it away to support an opioid habit.

I too am blessed with great kids.

If something minor gets minor damage while enjoying time with them, that is what it costs, and I’m good with that.

Bill, once you have decided to "fix or die," get your heat gun and IMAR polish out and heat, polish and repeat until you have totally screwed it up at which time you take it to the canvas guys. :)

Bill, once you have decided to "fix or die," get your heat gun and IMAR polish out and heat, polish and repeat until you have totally screwed it up at which time you take it to the canvas guys. :)
I like it…

EZ2CY panels are glued in, not stitched in. It may LOOK like it is stitched, but that is done before the glass goes in. If it bothers you that much, try a LITTLE heat on the edge to see if it lets go. Remove panel, duplicate it & re-glue. Might as well, panel is toast.

House work!!!! Are you nutz, Steve? I don't mow, clip, sweep, cook or anything else house-related. Give me a dirty, smelly bilge or engine room and all the other boat-related work you can think of, but NOOOO house stuff; that stuff is for professionals like this recently spiffed up carport floor whose many cracks were sealed up by the crew before applying the topcoat.

Attachments

• DSC04646.JPG
    DSC04646.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC04645.JPG
    DSC04645.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC04644.JPG
    DSC04644.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC04643.JPG
    DSC04643.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC04642.JPG
    DSC04642.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 8
Like a new car; the first ding really hurts, after that, oh well.

Back
Top Bottom