Swim Platform - MS 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidla

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Shady Lady
Vessel Make
Main ship Trawler 400
Hi and apologies for annoying you again so quickly. Though there may be a few of these as I move through the purchase process.
The Trawler i am looking to buy has a swim platform with "water storage" in it. (According to the sales agent). This is a new concept to me. It is not sealed in a tank so I would not consider it potable water. Is this common to these vessels and if so, what do people use this water for? Washing machine perhaps? I do not see any plumbing in this regard.
Cheers,

David
:confused::confused:

David, the advert has a photo of the swim platform but I can`t copy the image to post it here. If you post the advert link people can view the platform. Looks like 2 lockers set into the platform with latched teak hatches. I`d guess storage for equipment not water, but water could be present if non waterproof hatches get wet when the boat is run. If you can`t post the advert ask me. Some people don`t post adverts in case someone else gets interested.
That gyro install would have been expensive.

Unlike the MS390, the swim platform on all the 400's that I am aware of is relatively thin, i.e. maybe 3 inches. I can't envision water storage, or really any storage in there. If it was modified somehow, perhaps a well was added, it would seem to me that is would drag in the water.

I would ask for clarification and perhaps you could get ahold of some photos of what they are talking about.

Are you sure it is a 400 or could it be a 390? The 390 have room inside them that was originally, I believe, filled with foam. As I understand the foam most likely has been removed and maybe the water leaking into the platform could be referred to as water storage???

David, the advert has a photo of the swim platform but I can`t copy the image to post it here. If you post the advert link people can view the platform. Looks like 2 lockers set into the platform with latched teak hatches. I`d guess storage for equipment not water, but water could be present if non waterproof hatches get wet when the boat is run. If you can`t post the advert ask me. Some people don`t post adverts in case someone else gets interested.
That gyro install would have been expensive.

Thanks, no problem posting the link it’s here. They have accepted my offer and I have paid a deposit. Just waiting for surveys.

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/mainship-400-trawler-family-cruiser/294539

I'm no MS 400 expert but am now confused as I agree with the comments above that the 390 had a hollow/ foam filled swim deck that was essentially a hull extension that MS added due to some handling issues, as I understand it... many posts and discussion about the 390 swim deck.
If it's a 2008 I believe it is truly a MS 400, however, I thought the 400 swim deck was a more traditional relatively thin deck supported above the water.

The Stella Blue website by Steve Cyr is the best resource I've seen for the MS400.
https://scyr.org/stellablue/index.html

Here is another summary of MS Models that indicate the 2000's would be a MS400
https://www.yachtingmagazine.com/mainship-400-trawler/

I'm wondering if that swim platform was a custom build / addition as I've never seen one with large hatch covers as shown in the ad pic?
I'll try to attach a swim platform pic from the Stella Blue website... if not it's available via the link above

[Edit] Just read the post about the gyro and my guess is the platform is indeed custom and designed, built & added whenever the gyro was added. This is likely a one of a kind as far as swim platform and gyro goes.

Attachments

• stellablue2.jpeg
    stellablue2.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I walked by a 400 at the dock a few days ago, and I'm pretty sure it had an integrated platform like the boat for sale. Maybe there was a refresh in the design along the way?

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Trawler Forum mobile app

Looking at the listing it does indeed look like a custom swim platform with hatches. Maybe, as suggested above, due to the weight of the gyro. Overall nice looking boat, as least the photos.

My first attempt at uploading some photos. You can see how it is integrated. Note the deck fill on the top view photo. It says water and simply fills water into the void. Great place for a fender stowage, but not much else I am thinking.
Regards
David

Attachments

• IMG_6206.jpeg
    IMG_6206.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6205.jpeg
    IMG_6205.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6208.jpeg
    IMG_6208.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 46
David
Good job with the photos... you are now an experienced TF member.

That sure does not look like anything I've ever seen before on a Mainship. The 390s of the 1990s had something looking somewhat similar except it was foam filled and the bottom was essentially a hull extension.

Are there any indications of hoses/ piping to the boat such that it could possibly be used as a fresh but non- potable water system?
How is the water removed when no longer desired?

David
Good job with the photos... you are now an experienced TF member.

That sure does not look like anything I've ever seen before on a Mainship. The 390s of the 1990s had something looking somewhat similar except it was foam filled and the bottom was essentially a hull extension.

Are there any indications of hoses/ piping to the boat such that it could possibly be used as a fresh but non- potable water system?
How is the water removed when no longer desired?

All good questions. I see no evidence of piping to use the water. There is a small pump with hoses in the transom locker with 12volt alligator clips on it. I am unable to speak with the PO and the agent does not have the answers. If I proceed with this, I would plan to keep it dry and use it for fender and line stowage only.

Cheers

Perhaps....just a thought

The very nice dingy davit arrangement was enough weight aft to cause her to squat like the original 350, and the owner contracted with a very good fiberglass contractor to "fix" the problem in a similar fashion as Mainship did with the 390 by adding a "bustle."

That does not look anything like any 400 stern I have seen, and the trim tab installation doesn't look like a factory installation at all.

Just a thought :socool:

Perhaps....just a thought

The very nice dingy davit arrangement was enough weight aft to cause her to squat like the original 350, and the owner contracted with a very good fiberglass contractor to "fix" the problem in a similar fashion as Mainship did with the 390 by adding a "bustle."

That does not look anything like any 400 stern I have seen, and the trim tab installation doesn't look like a factory installation at all.

Just a thought :socool:
Agree with a well done custom fiberglass job but If weight aft was a concern... why make provision to fill it with water?

If you could identify who in that area sells / installs that brand gyro you might find the custom builder and possibly the need for it?

Agree with a well done custom fiberglass job but If weight aft was a concern... why make provision to fill it with water?

If you could identify who in that area sells / installs that brand gyro you might find the custom builder and possibly the need for it?

I would guess that is could be filled with water to make the boat sit correctly on her lines, otherwise, it would sit relatively low in the bow and may have made the down-sea wallowing worse. It is kind of ironic to see a 400 with a custom/integrated swim platform after it was a very intentional of Mainship to go with a conventional, bolt on swim platform on the 400, which was an evolution of the 390. The davits bolted onto the back of that platform wouldn't have worked on the stock 400 platform, but it still seems like an extreme modification.

"the trim tab installation doesn't look like a factory installation at all."

The reason I question if the Platform/Extension (technically a bustle) is factory, is that there are no Mainships (or Luhrs Models) with exposed trim tabs like that. All the other models have the trim tabs under a "traditional" platform or in "pockets" like the 390 in the bustle. I just don't believe Mainship would install trim tabs in such a fashion.

:socool:

Well, somebody spent some serious money on upgrading this little 400, that is for sure. A big custom platform, really nice davits (look custom to me), custom trim tabs and a gyro. My wild guess is that is $60K or more of work.

It`s like what Integrity did to the Island Gypsy 36 to produce the Integrity "386". The 2ft 6" swim platform becomes part of the hull, thereby extending LWL. The Integrity platform is full width, see my avatar photo.

Well, somebody spent some serious money on upgrading this little 400, that is for sure. A big custom platform, really nice davits (look custom to me), custom trim tabs and a gyro. My wild guess is that is $60K or more of work.

The gyro may have cost $60K by itself. I am sure the installation work wasn’t cheap, probably had to do a lot of additional structural work. The swim platform could have been another $15K. Nice upgrades…

My first attempt at uploading some photos. You can see how it is integrated. Note the deck fill on the top view photo. It says water and simply fills water into the void. Great place for a fender stowage, but not much else I am thinking.
Regards
David

Wow, never say anything like that before. Definitely an owner mod.

This is only a guess or alternate answer, but that extension just looks like it is from the MS390 or MS350 factory mold. There is too much that looks exactly like the mold used to build the MS390 swim step like the built in boarding step. Now whether or not the factory added it or it was added after market, it has to be from that factory mold IMHO.

This is only a guess or alternate answer, but that extension just looks like it is from the MS390 or MS350 factory mold. There is too much that looks exactly like the mold used to build the MS390 swim step like the built in boarding step. Now whether or not the factory added it or it was added after market, it has to be from that factory mold IMHO.

I don't think so, the factory 350/390 platform has a lot of taper from as it goes aft. My father's 390 was leaking water through the joint between the bottom and top sections of the swim platform, usually hidden by rub rail. I spend alot of time working in this area as we sealed it back up and there is a very significant taper from the transom to the back of the platform. The recess for the swim ladder looks very different. Whoever made it, or adapted it from another boat spend a lot of time on it and it does look very factory.

I don't think so, the factory 350/390 platform has a lot of taper from as it goes aft. My father's 390 was leaking water through the joint between the bottom and top sections of the swim platform, usually hidden by rub rail. I spend alot of time working in this area as we sealed it back up and there is a very significant taper from the transom to the back of the platform. The recess for the swim ladder looks very different. Whoever made it, or adapted it from another boat spend a lot of time on it and it does look very factory.

Could be. I do know there are different swim step additions for the MS. My 350 is built and attached totally different than my buddies 390. The trim tab placement might have been another attempt at improving the handling by extending the footprint underway. Guess we'll never really know. I like the stern thruster, wish I had one on my MS350.

Could be. I do know there are different swim step additions for the MS. My 350 is built and attached totally different than my buddies 390. The trim tab placement might have been another attempt at improving the handling by extending the footprint underway. Guess we'll never really know. I like the stern thruster, wish I had one on my MS350.

That is interesting, on the 390, the both the lower and upper fiberglass shells were made separate from the hull, you can tell because you can see where it is thru-bolted to the transom of the boat but, the way it is faired into the hull, all the way around, up each side and across the bottom it appears as it came out of the hull mold.

I think the swim platform is for water ballast to level the trim of the boat out, maybe due to the gyro weight???

Once again thanks for the comments. I do agree that up close it looks very factory like in its fit and finish. Also the gyro is definitely an Australian add on but I suspect the swim platform is fairly original. I could not see any evidence of an old platform ever being fitted on the inside of the stern looking from the lazarette. i was looking for patched up holes where the original support struts for the slim style swim platform might have been. I was assuming they are visible inside there somewhere?

Someone that is good with fiberglass can do it so the repairs don’t show.

Do you see many Mainships in Australia OP? I wonder how the boat made it down there. Shipped in, I guess.

Do you see many Mainships in Australia OP? I wonder how the boat made it down there. Shipped in, I guess.

You see a few but not a great deal of 400s. This one was imported properly and is configured as they might be for Europe IE with a 240volt fitout in lieu of 120v, including the genset as 240v 50hz. Makes marinas so much easier.:)

There is another one on the market here you can see as a local import. It is wired for 110v with generator the same and has additional wiring for an extra 240v shore supply and some outlets - messy. So a hybrid of 120/240 but not as you would know it.

It still has the old port of rego on the back being Naples Florida, a giveaway!

What is the HID

What is the hull identification number? Also, what side is the galley cabinetry located on, port, or starboard?

Back
Top Bottom