Synthetic Teak Interior Floor Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See attached. Our current nuteak has lots of detail, grain etc. The swatches are permateak. Nice, but very different.

Attachments

• 8ABB7735-6D90-4012-82B2-BAD18B715D6C.jpg
    8ABB7735-6D90-4012-82B2-BAD18B715D6C.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 33
See attached. Our current nuteak has lots of detail, grain etc. The swatches are permateak. Nice, but very different.

You could actually pick and choose permateek colors that would make up a color pattern that is closer to what you want. Panels are asssembled in the factory so there is lots of flexibility. Need to work with an installer on the design you want and they will work with the factory. Not sure you'll find an exact match anywhere.

Yeah, ive been working with a permateak installer, seems like a good guy and I like their product. But he doesn’t think he can get it wven close to what I currently have. The nautikfloor looks much closer. I have samples of it on the way.

No problem, good luck with whatever you end up with.

I decided to go with the nauticfloor, same color as laredo. I figure it will be better to go with a completely different color rather than close but not the same.

Pulled the carpet out of both cabins yesterday, no fun but not as bad as I expected.

How do y’all think I should handle the small 12x12 access hatch in the fwd cabin? I’d like it to be as unnoticeable as possible. Im thinking of just gluing pieces on it that line up with the surrounding planks, but I could trim it out if needed.

Attachments

• 786056B1-49BB-4754-A80E-A2A5A8E58A6A.jpg
    786056B1-49BB-4754-A80E-A2A5A8E58A6A.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 42
  • E9674D16-F1BE-4FEB-A099-F8E6571F47FD.jpg
    E9674D16-F1BE-4FEB-A099-F8E6571F47FD.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 41
Search Baccus's posts. Look for his reply to me. I asked the same question.

Search Baccus's posts. Look for his reply to me. I asked the same question.

Will do, but good grief, he has a zillion posts. Do you recall the subject?

He will probably show up in here before too long. Lol.

Last edited:
Interesting.

In addition to needing new flooring on our boat the vinyl liner material on the hull sides, as discussed in other threads, is peeling and needs to be addressed. Another poster had a canvas guy glue a headliner carpet over it, and it seems to have worked well. I'm friends with one of the top yard guys over at Grand Banks and he took a look at my peeling vinyl the other day for me. His thought is that I could glue vinyl over it.

I see that permateak makes solid panels. What do you think about putting a "cherry" panel over it? I've got an installer coming in on Friday to give me a quote on the floors, I'm going to ask him what he thinks.

Doug,
I am doing my forwards cabin hull sides now. As soon as I get it done, I’ll post some before, during and completed pictures. I completely remove the port locker and the interior of the starboard locker. Multiple steps and learning curve.

Doug,
I am doing my forwards cabin hull sides now. As soon as I get it done, I’ll post some before, during and completed pictures. I completely remove the port locker and the interior of the starboard locker. Multiple steps and learning curve.

Yeah, that is my next project after the flooring. I'm considering gluing nautifloor "solid wall" (that is what they call it) panels over the vinyl. I'm going to try a scrap piece using their adhesive before I order any of it. I think it would look really nice and the material is thick enough to cover any imperfections in the underlying vinyl. It will also flex in two directions, so it should work with the compound curves of the hull. I just don't know how well it will adhere.

Getting the lockers out looks like a bear of a job.

Yeah, that is my next project after the flooring. I'm considering gluing nautifloor "solid wall" (that is what they call it) panels over the vinyl. I'm going to try a scrap piece using their adhesive before I order any of it. I think it would look really nice and the material is thick enough to cover any imperfections in the underlying vinyl. It will also flex in two directions, so it should work with the compound curves of the hull. I just don't know how well it will adhere.

Getting the lockers out looks like a bear of a job.

On my walls the top material was flaking off. If you want any material to stick permanently, you'll want to remove as much of that surface as possible. I read several posts of people covering what is there versus removing and replacing.

On my walls the top material was flaking off. If you want any material to stick permanently, you'll want to remove as much of that surface as possible. I read several posts of people covering what is there versus removing and replacing.

Same here.

I’m going to sand a little area and see if I can get good adhesion. It’s worth a try.

Removing the vinyl and its foam backing that appears to be glued to the hull is major surgery. My canvas guy quoted $6k plus to do the job and said it would make a massive mess.

I saw the post where a carpet was applied over it, it seems to have worked well, but I would personally prefer a wood grain there. I am looking forward to your posts on your project. I hope it turns out nicely.

Same here.

I’m going to sand a little area and see if I can get good adhesion. It’s worth a try.

Removing the vinyl and its foam backing that appears to be glued to the hull is major surgery. My canvas guy quoted $6k plus to do the job and said it would make a massive mess.

I saw the post where a carpet was applied over it, it seems to have worked well, but I would personally prefer a wood grain there. I am looking forward to your posts on your project. I hope it turns out nicely.

On my boat neither vinyl nor foam were glued down. They stapled through both at each side. Because of the way the old material was attached, I glued down tack strips behind the headboard and under the floor boards. I hope to have the new material installed in the next few days.

On my boat neither vinyl nor foam were glued down. They stapled through both at each side. Because of the way the old material was attached, I glued down tack strips behind the headboard and under the floor boards. I hope to have the new material installed in the next few days.

Man, that would be a wonderful development if it were not glued to the hull.

I think I understand how you put the tack strips under the headboard and floorboards, seems like a great idea. Are you putting strips on the vertical edges too? Behind the hanging lockers?

I'm wondering if I could maybe cover the bottom strip with a quarter round molding along the floor edge, which I want to install anyway, to cover the cuts in the new flooring I'm laying down.

Thanks for all the info.

Doug

Figured I would post a progress report on this project.

I pulled up the carpet last week, with the help of two friends. It was glued down, and stapled on some edges. Took us a couple of hours to get it up. Plywood underneath, sealed with what appears to be unthickend epoxy resin.

Decided to go with Nautikflor in teak and holly color. Its got shades of our old floor in it but is not the exact color. It complements it more than matches it. The odds of finding an exact match to our old floor were pretty much nil, so I think this is a gy solution.

Laid the flooring in the side cabin today. Every piece needed at least one cut. Most needed two cuts and two pieces had angles plus curves, so it was slow going. I used a combination of a utility knife, jig saw and a drum sander to make the cuts.

Will do the edge moldings tomorrow. I going with some 1.5” teak I have laying around. Decided not to glue the side cabin floor. It’s so small and will have all edges covered, I really don’t see how it could shift.

Pics attached.

Pics

Attachments

• C536B22F-ACFD-4E4B-8B0C-8C85989ABB9A.jpg
    C536B22F-ACFD-4E4B-8B0C-8C85989ABB9A.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 00A222E6-54B7-41A7-A03D-E55A718EB6D2.jpg
    00A222E6-54B7-41A7-A03D-E55A718EB6D2.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 7B46D2AB-5CDD-4FD9-AEA9-8D618553DEC7.jpg
    7B46D2AB-5CDD-4FD9-AEA9-8D618553DEC7.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 29
  • E52264F8-CE06-4176-9FAE-665DD87B98B3.jpg
    E52264F8-CE06-4176-9FAE-665DD87B98B3.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 29
Man, that would be a wonderful development if it were not glued to the hull.

I think I understand how you put the tack strips under the headboard and floorboards, seems like a great idea. Are you putting strips on the vertical edges too? Behind the hanging lockers?

I'm wondering if I could maybe cover the bottom strip with a quarter round molding along the floor edge, which I want to install anyway, to cover the cuts in the new flooring I'm laying down.

Thanks for all the info.

Doug

I put tack strips behind the headboard using 1/4" X1" pine. Then glued a second strip on top. Using this thin material allowed me to bend to conform to the shape of the hull. Be sure to mark where the front edge of the headboard is before you glue down or the headboard wont fit. On the port side I also put vertical strips along the edge of the rear wall. Remember I removed the port hanging locker completely. I also put strips UNDER the edges of the floor that I pulled up. Then when the floor went back, the vinyl was right up to the edge as it was originally.
The last important suggestion is because I removed all vinyl on every surface and recovered I wanted to make sure everything fit BEFORE I reinstalled the foam and vinyl so I reinstalled the 3 horizontal panels below the windows and in front of the headboard. I ended up trimming the middle piece because it didn't quite fit after the tack strips and headboard were reinstalled. Luckily I did this before covering them with new material.

Figured I would post a progress report on this project.

I pulled up the carpet last week, with the help of two friends. It was glued down, and stapled on some edges. Took us a couple of hours to get it up. Plywood underneath, sealed with what appears to be unthickend epoxy resin.

Decided to go with Nautikflor in teak and holly color. Its got shades of our old floor in it but is not the exact color. It complements it more than matches it. The odds of finding an exact match to our old floor were pretty much nil, so I think this is a gy solution.

Laid the flooring in the side cabin today. Every piece needed at least one cut. Most needed two cuts and two pieces had angles plus curves, so it was slow going. I used a combination of a utility knife, jig saw and a drum sander to make the cuts.

Will do the edge moldings tomorrow. I going with some 1.5” teak I have laying around. Decided not to glue the side cabin floor. It’s so small and will have all edges covered, I really don’t see how it could shift.

Pics attached.

Nice job on the flooring.

Almost finished. Had to make 18 different patterns for the forward cabin, it was very time consuming. Not sure if I like the teak trim. What do y’all think?

Attachments

• 8778EA92-399D-4E36-B1CB-1ADBD8087303.jpg
    8778EA92-399D-4E36-B1CB-1ADBD8087303.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 23
  • F22780C6-9203-4833-B166-878D060D7F70.jpg
    F22780C6-9203-4833-B166-878D060D7F70.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 55B2AECF-0D80-4D54-8AF8-8716C04CC5E1.jpg
    55B2AECF-0D80-4D54-8AF8-8716C04CC5E1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 21
Trim

Attachments