Tasmanian cray boat Gardner diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koastal

Hi All thanks for the access to this wonderful resource.

I am in the throes of purchasing my first displacement boat. It is a 48 ft Tasmanian cray boat.
It has a Gardner 6LW which appears to be quite an intimidating piece of machinery.
I will be sea trialing it in 10 days. I would be grateful for any words of advice, particularly in regards to observing the health of this engine.
I will be taking oil samples, but i expect an oil change will be done prior to my visit.

Here's a "Sea Trial Checklist." A bit old, but might help.

I don't know much about Gardners, but general guidance on a sea trial is to run the boat at WOT for at least 5-mins and observe temps and exhaust. Should also check RPMs at WOT against non-load WOT. Should be within 10%-15% or it's not propped correctly (which may not be a huge deal). But there are folks who are moe knowledgeable on Gardners - I'll defer to them.

Good luck - -

Peter

Thanks Peter
I am concerned about its WOT under load, supposedly it max speed is 8 knots as is cruising speed 8 knots @1000 rpm. I fear that it is overpropped, I am hoping that it achieves 1500+ rpm at WOT and will be happy if it doesnt achieve any more speed at these rpm, as is the nature of displacement hulls.
I believe its operating temperature should be circa 60c and oil pressure 35 psi ish. Any confirmation of these no's would be very helpful

Is there a reason you can`t prevent the oil change before you take samples?
I may have found the boat online, looks interesting.

Last edited:
Here's a "Sea Trial Checklist." A bit old, but might help.

I don't know much about Gardners, but general guidance on a sea trial is to run the boat at WOT for at least 5-mins and observe temps and exhaust. Should also check RPMs at WOT against non-load WOT. Should be within 10%-15% or it's not propped correctly (which may not be a huge deal). But there are folks who are moe knowledgeable on Gardners - I'll defer to them.

Good luck - -

Peter
yes when you buy boat under 6 years old engine. for example my CAT 3406E is produced 2002 installed 2003 .buy cat evidence server he don't have exchange heat exchange after 6 years or 10000 hours what come first. 40-50000€
engine have +-1800 hour average working 10 gallon hour. in reality he maybe have 500 hour sailing but very month engine start and work on minimum.
dealer say exchange engine or overhaul by us 126 000€+ tax 25% for 2 engine.
i say seller do this or lover price for this expense.saler say I lover price and I buy boat. i don't make test drive.

So it must be daytime there. Cool.
Yes, but which day? Today? Yesterday? Tomorrow? :)

Koastal - I don't know the Gardner operating temps, but would be most concerned about changes in temp during WOT but shouldn't exceed ~95C (205F). Some increase is normal. ~60C (150F) is too low - perhaps you meant ~80C (175F)? I wouldn't pay too much attention to the advertised cruising speed and RPMs.

Peter

Of more importance than engine temp with our Gardner 8LXB is the EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature).
I suggest you give Gardner Marine a call. Give them the serial #. Than can tell you a lot about the engine over the phone, when it left the factory, any parts order history associated with the engine, etc.
Ask them about things to look for, temps, pressures, etc during a sea trial.
Best of luck going forward!

Yes, but which day? Today? Yesterday? Tomorrow? :)

Koastal - I don't know the Gardner operating temps, but would be most concerned about changes in temp during WOT but shouldn't exceed ~95C (205F). Some increase is normal. ~60C (150F) is too low - perhaps you meant ~80C (175F)? I wouldn't pay too much attention to the advertised cruising speed and RPMs.

Peter
Yes 60 C is correct apparently. Low operating temp, seems to be part of thier legendary longevity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom