Temporary Leak Stop - Bad Idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpj23

Vessel Name
Black Horse
Vessel Make
Med Yachts 62
I have a pretty bad leak coming from above into the saloon and I can only find the general problem area via water testing. It will be some time until I am able to start drilling bungs and pulling up teak..... fun times ahead!
As a temporary emergency measure I am considering applying Semco Liquid Membrane on the problem deck area - probably 4 square ft. My assumption is that the membrane will just sand off once I've properly addressed the leak.
Am I nuts?

Greetings,
Mr. m. IF you're going to re-use the teak decking, keep in mind whatever you apply will soak into the teak and perhaps permanently stain it. Might it be possible to fasten a piece of waterproof membrane over the leaking area? I'm thinking using SS staples to stick down a piece of plastic tarp.

Greetings,
Mr. m. IF you're going to re-use the teak decking, keep in mind whatever you apply will soak into the teak and perhaps permanently stain it. Might it be possible to fasten a piece of waterproof membrane over the leaking area? I'm thinking using SS staples to stick down a piece of plastic tarp.

I like your idea better... thanks

Water can travel a long way under screwed down teak once the bedding has failed.

Patches over certain areas may or may not stop the leaks.

Look for areas where water pools and that is where most of the water comes in my opinion.

How long till you can redo the deck?

What is your final fix?

I just looked at some thin nonskid plastic (neoprene?) Deck coverings at West Marine.
Buying some time by installing 4x4 patch should be fairly inexpensive, and is self sticking.
It would surely leave some goo behind, but you’re going to be doing extensive refinishing anyway.
Before you dump a ton of cash into your teak decks, remember that they are inherently troublesome….
Numerous options available!

If you are eventually going to get rid of the teak decking, and you probably should, then maybe something like truck bed liner as a temporary fix. Sand the teak to give it some tooth and then spray on or paint on some bed liner.

The method you use depends on how long it will be before you plan to address the problem and correct it. Since you are in Bradenton, we only have a month or so before dry season in Florida.

If you are eventually going to get rid of the teak decking, and you probably should, then maybe something like truck bed liner as a temporary fix. Sand the teak to give it some tooth and then spray on or paint on some bed liner.

Good idea. May even look good enough that the temporary fix becomes permanent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom