The Adventures of Sylphide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking at all those trees perched on the edge of the canal makes me think that going through there during or after a storm could be iffy. Thanks for the great report.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. S. As per the norm, an excellent travelogue. Them's my old stomping grounds. Lamb's Marina in Camden was our home port for 5 years.

Does everyone pretty much stick to daytime navigation of the Dismal Swamp? Can the locks be scheduled for openings outside normal operating hours like one might schedule a bridge opening?

I'd be happy to initiate an avatar title change for you from Guru to Swamp Commander. How about ****Swamp Commander Supreme****

Looking at all those trees perched on the edge of the canal makes me think that going through there during or after a storm could be iffy. Thanks for the great report.

Actually, I did encounter one tree down across the canal. It was fairly spindly, and I tried to ram it out of the way, but it gave enough for me to just ride up and over it. Example number 2,398,156 of me being grateful for my sturdy keel and protected running gear. It was also kinda nice to run into something on purpose for a change.

Greetings,
Mr. S. As per the norm, an excellent travelogue. Them's my old stomping grounds. Lamb's Marina in Camden was our home port for 5 years.

Thank you sir. It's a fine stomping ground, indeed.

Does everyone pretty much stick to daytime navigation of the Dismal Swamp? Can the locks be scheduled for openings outside normal operating hours like one might schedule a bridge opening?

I'd be happy to initiate an avatar title change for you from Guru to Swamp Commander. How about ****Swamp Commander Supreme****

Hahaha, Swamp Commander Supreme, that's rich. Actually I think that might be more appropriate than Guru, which implies I might know what I'm talking about, which is misleading at best.

As far as I know, the locks and bridges are only a daytime thing. I'm not sure if night passages can be booked or otherwise arranged, but they don't seem to advertise it that way.

The more I read about the Dismal Swamp, the less I ever want to take my boat though it if we travel down that way. 5 mph / 4.3 kts is dead idle for me, and I have too much mechanical sympathy to want to idle for that long. If I had to, I'd probably end up shutting an engine down. Otherwise, I consider about 5 kts to be minimum continuous speed. Plus, the tree thing concerns me. No way I'm going over one of those without prop damage...

I transited the canal last May and encountered 7 logs. All were submerged and invisible so I didn't know they were there until I bumped them. Although my props were not protected there was no damage. I think the initial bump pushed them down sufficiently to carry past them. No rolling along the bottom. That said, it could have been worse. I also stopped at the park area Sylphide mentioned. A nice elderly couple gave us some fresh picked strawberries. Must be a very friendly populace around there.

I think "Supreme Swamp Commander" has a better ring to it!

And after my mosquito episode last night, I thought I would ask whether the swamp you're in is also inundated with these little critters?

The bridges and locks are on a rigid schedule...4 times a day.

Most times I have gone through it has been at 6 knots and had minimal wait at the other end.

If you stop at the visitors center, timing the openings southbound are a snap...really both ways. The current is minimal...maybe a 1/4 at best 1/2 knot. And reverses somewhere near the middle...the feeder canal from the lake.

I have never touched anything on the bottom in over a dozen transits...drawing 4 feet. If you squat at all and have unprotected props and draw 4 feet, bets are off. But plenty of 5 foot draft boats have gone through without incident.

After hurricanes, it has taken all season or more to clear debris and dredge.

Lots of trips through the Dismal Swamp without issue. My recollection is that the speed is 6 MPH which I fudge to 6 knots. Much prefer it to the beating you can get in the Currituck sound.

The Jennette Brothers food service dock is the preferred location above the bridge. There are also several good spots to anchor out a little further North. Cypress Creek Grill is my choice for dinner in Elizabeth City (a few blocks down Water street). Without question, far better than the offerings in Coinjock.

https://m.facebook.com/cypresscreekgrill/

Ted

Greetings,
I agree with Cypress Creek. Another excellent eatery in EC is Quality Seafood Market. Just behind the Museum of the Albermarle...If I remember. About a 4/5 minute walk from Cypress Creek. Quality Seafood is also a fish market although I've never sampled their wares.

Would NOT recommend Groupers which is immediately beside the EC docks.

Listen up Swamp Commander! If you intend to carry this lofty title it will be expected that we hear from you monthly at a minimum. Thank you for the post, as always a great read. Good to know the world goes on as it should.
Bill

Greetings,
Mr. S. Further to Mr. m's comment regarding monthly reports and to maintain your "commander" status you should include at least ONE "swamp report" per quarter or you may be demoted to Bog Bosun or worse yet, Muck Mate. A dismal prospect IMO...

iu

Swamp Commander: Tip of the hat to the Seinfeld reference. ;-)

The more I read about the Dismal Swamp, the less I ever want to take my boat though it if we travel down that way. 5 mph / 4.3 kts is dead idle for me, and I have too much mechanical sympathy to want to idle for that long. If I had to, I'd probably end up shutting an engine down. Otherwise, I consider about 5 kts to be minimum continuous speed. Plus, the tree thing concerns me. No way I'm going over one of those without prop damage...

Thankfully ol' Perkins seemed to be only too happy to lazily trundle along. I think it would certainly have been a less enjoyable experience if I knew my family jewels were more exposed.

I transited the canal last May and encountered 7 logs. All were submerged and invisible so I didn't know they were there until I bumped them. Although my props were not protected there was no damage. I think the initial bump pushed them down sufficiently to carry past them. No rolling along the bottom. That said, it could have been worse. I also stopped at the park area Sylphide mentioned. A nice elderly couple gave us some fresh picked strawberries. Must be a very friendly populace around there.

There certainly seems to be love in the air! lol.

I think "Supreme Swamp Commander" has a better ring to it!

And after my mosquito episode last night, I thought I would ask whether the swamp you're in is also inundated with these little critters?

Thankfully not! I can't speak for what it might be like in the middle of summer, but I think I was in town after cooler temperatures had knocked the bug population down a peg or two.

The bridges and locks are on a rigid schedule...4 times a day.

Most times I have gone through it has been at 6 knots and had minimal wait at the other end.

If you stop at the visitors center, timing the openings southbound are a snap...really both ways. The current is minimal...maybe a 1/4 at best 1/2 knot. And reverses somewhere near the middle...the feeder canal from the lake.

I have never touched anything on the bottom in over a dozen transits...drawing 4 feet. If you squat at all and have unprotected props and draw 4 feet, bets are off. But plenty of 5 foot draft boats have gone through without incident.

After hurricanes, it has taken all season or more to clear debris and dredge.

I didn't notice any current at all, but my speed through the water-o-meter stopped working ages ago, so I can't offer any scientific measurements. I can definitely see how a good blow could really foul the place up. I was more worried about the horrific duckweed stories I'd heard before, but I didn't see a leaf of it.

Lots of trips through the Dismal Swamp without issue. My recollection is that the speed is 6 MPH which I fudge to 6 knots. Much prefer it to the beating you can get in the Currituck sound.

The Jennette Brothers food service dock is the preferred location above the bridge. There are also several good spots to anchor out a little further North. Cypress Creek Grill is my choice for dinner in Elizabeth City (a few blocks down Water street). Without question, far better than the offerings in Coinjock.

https://m.facebook.com/cypresscreekgrill/

Ted

I'm sure you're right about the speed limit. I hadn't even thought to check for one before I got there. The only reason I knew there was a speed limit is because the guys on Mikado told me about it. I was curious to know what kind of speed they were going to make, and didn't want to hold them up. I'm glad I didn't let them go ahead.

Listen up Swamp Commander! If you intend to carry this lofty title it will be expected that we hear from you monthly at a minimum. Thank you for the post, as always a great read. Good to know the world goes on as it should.
Bill

Greetings,
Mr. S. Further to Mr. m's comment regarding monthly reports and to maintain your "commander" status you should include at least ONE "swamp report" per quarter or you may be demoted to Bog Bosun or worse yet, Muck Mate. A dismal prospect IMO...

iu

Well I certainly didn't earn the rank of Swamp Commander Supreme, and I definitely don't deserve it, lol. Surely the honor should go to OCTed or pScott. I will however wear it with pride, and do my best to report on any swampiness I encounter with the utmost vigilance. :flowers:

Swamp Commander: Tip of the hat to the Seinfeld reference. ;-)

Haha, yeah, I wasn't sure anyone would notice!

The speed limit is probably because of erosion....the fix is to only open the locks and bridges 4X a day so going faster just means a painful wait until they do open.

If one goes fast, passing is miserable and those who care about the canal can make passing all but impossible for trouble makers.

In mid-May there were no mosquitoes or other annoying bugs going through the Dismal Swamp. But.... the Elizabeth City free dock was infested with mosquitoes!

Dear Swamp Commander,

Can you go back to posting a few photos of your adventure? I'm on a work computer that blocks Youtube.

Carry on,

Sidney

Dave, not sure where you are.

Still trying to make the Fort Pierce gathering starting this afternoon?

Dear Swamp Commander,

Can you go back to posting a few photos of your adventure? I'm on a work computer that blocks Youtube.

Carry on,

Sidney

Hi Sidney! There should be a fair few pictures showing up already. Are they not showing up? If not, then my blog site might also be blocked. All of the pictures I post here are just links to that website, or sites like Giphy.

Dave, not sure where you are.

Still trying to make the Fort Pierce gathering starting this afternoon?

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this one. I had some scheduling conflicts with some other friends and family visits that I couldn't resolve. I'm still up in Georgia, and I'm likely as far south as I'll get this year.

48. E-City to B-Fort

It was a gray and clammy night at the Jenette Brothers dock, and the next morning was even more gray and clammy. Patches of thicc mist and thin fog wafted around, making for unreliable visibility. It was the kind of day that encouraged terrible people like me to make insensitive and tasteless jokes about good people like Ray Charles.

CantSeeShit.jpg

Sorry Ray

Back in the olden days, before I had my fancy-ass radar-o-matic, I might have given my departure plans a second thought. Now that Sylphide had finally joined the 20th century though, I had no qualms about getting underway. Anyway, the overall trend seemed to be one of improvement.

The Elizabeth City Bridge operator did not share in my qualmlessness, however. Apparently the bridge is operated remotely, and the only view the operator had of his domain was provided by a camera at the bridge. I’m guessing the camera was of questionable quality, because he said he couldn’t see the other side, and wouldn’t open until he could.

I wished I’d known that before I left the dock, but since I could see both sides of the bridge just fine from a few hundred feet away, I figured he’d be back in business in no time. So, I opted to just float there and wait. The current and wind were both basically nonexistent, so it didn’t take much effort to sit still.

After twiddling my thumbs for a while, I realized I was hungry, and decided to use my free time to fry up some breakfast. I had about a metric ton of potatoes I needed to use, courtesy of a hapless Instacart shopper, so homefries seemed like a good idea. As any good pessimist would have predicted, the bridge started opening just as the potatoes reached their peak level of doneness. By the time I cleared the bridge, I was trailing a fug of slightly burnt onions.

Don’t cook and drive, kids.

As I masticated my immolated tubers, I noticed an unusual building peeking out of the fog toward the southwest. It was a big stretched out dome kind of thing, with clamshell doors at the ends. It would have made one hell of a Jello mold, but I’m pretty sure it was a blimp or airship hangar. Alas, there were no sky whales to be seen. Maybe next time.

IMG_4200.jpeg

As the Pasquotank River widened out, the skies continued to clear, and the sun burned off the rest of the fog. The wind stayed calm, and when we met the big scary Albemarle Sound, it was flatter than a mashed cat. It was a perfect day to cross.

IMG_4202.jpeg

IMG_4201.jpeg

About halfway across, I noticed the horizon started getting a little fuzzy again. By the time we were two thirds of the way, the fog had socked back in. Visibility was maybe a hundred yards at points, and several small targets came and went across my radar screen without ever being picked up by the ol’ Mk 1 eyeball. This was the first time I’d really needed this unit, and I was pretty impressed by what it was able to pick up.

One target in particular was more interesting than the rest. It was bigger than the others had been, likely something similar in size to Sylphide. She seemed to be making a similar speed too. Maybe a touch faster. They were coming down from the Coinjock route, and looked to be heading to the same spot I was. This point was driven home by the big red flashing AIS symbol that was kind enough to show me exactly where the shipwreck would be, if we both continued as we were.

As an aside, on the Great Lakes, channel 16 on the VHF radio- the international hailing and distress frequency, is often gummed up with lots and lots of chatter. It’s at it’s worst during sunny summer weekends, when every jerk who owns a radio somehow feels it’s his sacred patriotic duty to ask for a radio check at least once every eight minutes. After most of those radio checks, the Coast Guard tries to get them to knock it off, usually with the tone of a parent who’s ‘had it up to here with your bullshit, Kevin.’ It never works. The result is an endless cacophony of squeals, clicks, and static, people blowing out their mics by screaming at point blank range, drunken renditions of Sweet Caroline, and even the occasional numnomnom sounds of a baby trying to eat the mic. It can sometimes be really difficult to resist the urge to slowly pour your hot coffee into the back of the radio, just to make it stop.

This doesn’t seem to be the case on the coast. Even in busy harbors like New York and Norfolk, 16 tends to be mostly quiet. Out in the sticks on a rainy Tuesday, it’s perfectly normal to not hear a single transmission all day. This is why I sometimes forget that I even have a radio, and why it usually scares the ever-loving bejesus out of me when someone calls me.

This is what happened when the cruiser in the fog called me.

giphy.gif

When I managed to remove my claws from the ceiling, and coax my heart rate back down into the triple digits, I answered back. It was just a friendly ‘hey, I see you there. Do you see me?‘ kind of thing. We confirmed that we were both headed for the Alligator River swing bridge, and that he would beat me to it. And so it came to pass.

IMG_4203.jpeg

After a short wait, we were through the bridge, and heading south on the Alligator river. The visibility came and went several more times as fog banks rolled through. The wind stayed in the low single digits, and the ride stayed smooth.

Eventually we reached the bottom end of the river, where I found my usual anchorage was already full. There was a smattering of other anchorages in the area, but none were great. Most didn’t offer much weather protection, and there weren’t many reviews from other users. Many of the notes warned of anchors getting tangled up with crap on the bottom. My charts didn’t show much detail in those areas either. It didn’t give me the warm and fuzzies, but it would have to do.

So I picked a spot, and waded in as slowly as I could. I circled a few times like a sleepy dog getting ready for a nap, triple checked the forecast and tide chart, and dropped anchor in about seven feet of murky, alligator colored water.

As I’ve mentioned before, this is one of the most remote places I’ve anchored in. From this spot, it’s hard to see evidence of civilization in any direction. Aside from the handful of anchor lights over yonder, there isn’t a single light on the horizon. Not even the faint glow of some distant town. It’s also absolutely quiet. No hum from a highway or airport or factory. Just the occasional fish jumping, or gurgle of water lapping at Sylphide’s quarters. There was exactly no cell service.

I treated myself to dinner and a movie, followed by a beverage on the lido deck under the Milky Way. It was all very peaceful and romantic, until a sixty pound Great White Egret very ungracefully landed in a heap on the roof a few feet from me. In the silence, it sounded like somebody dropped a bell tower down a flight of stairs into a blender full of forks. It’s really difficult to imagine how the Halifax Explosion could possibly have been any louder.

Needless to say, I was slightly startled by this development, causing me to do a bad comedy spit-take, and nearly fall over backward in my chair. This commotion alarmed the idiot bird, who somehow hadn’t seen me. It squawked loudly at me, scrabbled for purchase with it’s long stupid legs, like something from a Scooby Doo cartoon, and clumsily lurched back into the air.

I went to bed.

The next day dawned warm and dry and still. There was no fog to speak of. Coffee was made, fluids were checked, switches were flipped, keys were turned, and buttons were pressed. The anchor came up without a hitch, much to my relief, and we got to splashin’ good and early. Most of the anchorage had cleared out ahead of me, but one that hadn’t looked to be a Southerly 38, as made famous my YouTubers Nick and Terysa of Sailing Ruby Rose.

IMG_4209.jpeg

The Alligator Pungo canal was as straight as I remembered, and made for an easy, relaxed, and uneventful cruise. The same could be said for the Pungo River, too. In fact, the entire fifty mile day was pleasant, but unremarkable.

The overnight stop at the end of this leg was one that I’d been looking forward to. After passing by the RE Mayo Seafood dock a couple of times on previous trips, I decided it was somewhere I wanted to stop next time. There was something about it that reminded me of a roadside stop along Route 66.

It’s a commercial seafood dock. It’s primary function is to be a safe place to moor their fleet of fishing vessels, and to unload, process, store, and distribute the product they catch. They just happen to have more dock space than they need, and you can tie up there.

It is not a marina. There’s no clubhouse, pool, courtesy car, or bathhouse. There are outhouses. There are only a few places to plug in your shore power cord, but they’re probably already taken by the time you arrive. There’s plenty of free water to fill up your tanks, but the hose is a little grubby, and the water has… let’s say flavor. The docks themselves are charmingly ramshackle, but sturdy enough for fishing vessels that are an order of magnitude larger than Sylphide. It’s very cheap. The staff are very friendly and helpful, but their first priority might be to drive the forklift, or pack the catch in the freezer. Their store has a wide variety of stuff, from shackles to postcards to seafood that might have been plucked from the ocean this morning. The only way to get something fresher is to go out and get it yourself.

IMG_4221.jpeg

IMG_4215.jpeg

IMG_4219.jpeg

IMG_4212.jpeg

IMG_4218.jpeg

IMG_4213.jpeg

My haul

The biting gnats were biblical, forcing everyone to seek the shelter of a screen, but otherwise I enjoyed my stay at RE Mayo. I’ll definitely be back. I was underwhelmed by my first ever Moon Pie experience, though. They’re kinda dry and crumbly… meh.

The next day was a beautiful one. It was sunny and warm, with just the right amount of breeze. The sky was it’s best shade of blue, with the correct number of friendly, fluffy white clouds. There was just enough of a sea to remind me that I was on a boat. The easy, comfortable pitching was just enough to throw a little extra splash into the bow wave now and then. Crossing the Neuse River was an absolute joy in these conditions.

Being a lovely Sunday, there were gobs of other boaters out with me. It wasn’t crowded, though. There were just enough to add to the scenery, and to the fun. The sailors were actually sailing, and there were plenty of colorful spinnakers ballooning around.

We were eventually funneled into Adams Creek, where I spotted one of the first Palmetto trees of the trip. It was a sure sign that I was heading in the right direction.

IMG_4225.jpeg

Adams Creek turns into Core Creek somewhere along the way, and I fell in with a parade of other cruisers. The channel was narrow, and there was regular oncoming traffic, so I couldn’t pass, but I didn’t really want to. I was nearing the end of the cruise, and was in no hurry for it to be over, so I throttled back a bit, and took my place in line. As we passed the Jarrett Bay boat works, the resident dolphins came out to say hello, as they have 100% of the time in my experience.

Soon enough, our caravan of boats found it’s way to Beaufort, where I’d reserved a slip at Homer Smith for six weeks. It was about time for me to head back to work, and give Sylphide a break. I ended up at the exact same dock as the last time I was there, with the exact same neighbors, too. This was a good thing, since the fella on the other side of my dock was full time liveaboard, and a part time staff member at the marina. He was also just an all-round good dude. I couldn’t think of anyone better to keep half an eye on things while I was away.

Wifey B: Moon pies are dry and crumbly only when they're old. :eek: Did you check the date? Not the kind of place to buy a moon pie. Better in a high volume convenience store. Then they're melt in your mouth delicious. Much like diving in to get a taste and deep inside a flavorful cream of the goddesses is there for you to enjoy. :D

Oh and hubby told me once that in NY and such areas a similar pie or the same is referred to in your best Phil Rizzuto voice as a "Scootah Pie." :)

Swamp Commander - Good check in, you are cleared for shore leave.
I suspect the moon pie dilemma would be similar to what I believe is our mutual northern regard for the King Dong. There are good King Dongs and there are bad King Dongs. Freshness being the key determinant. Safe travels and thank you.
Bill

Wifey B: Moon pies are dry and crumbly only when they're old. :eek: Did you check the date? Not the kind of place to buy a moon pie. Better in a high volume convenience store. Then they're melt in your mouth delicious. Much like diving in to get a taste and deep inside a flavorful cream of the goddesses is there for you to enjoy. :D

Oh and hubby told me once that in NY and such areas a similar pie or the same is referred to in your best Phil Rizzuto voice as a "Scootah Pie." :)

Ohhhh yeahhh, I've heard of the Scootah Pie, but I ain't never had one a them, neither. Sounds like a wicked pissah!

Swamp Commander - Good check in, you are cleared for shore leave.
I suspect the moon pie dilemma would be similar to what I believe is our mutual northern regard for the King Dong. There are good King Dongs and there are bad King Dongs. Freshness being the key determinant. Safe travels and thank you.
Bill

I'm sure you and the B's are right. I probably got a box left over from the Carter administration. I shall have to call the experiment inconclusive for now. I will try again, for SCIENCE!

Also, I'm familiar with Ding Dongs, and yeah they're pretty tasty little tidbits. I wasn't so sure about King Dongs... so I did a google image search...
giphy.gif

George is right. My bad. Here is what I meant

I must have conflated it in my childhood.

Wifey B: Unfortunately when the company making Ding Dongs closed, Hostess resumed with a far less tasty product. It's smaller and the taste just isn't the same. King Dong was just a previous name. :)

Hey Swampdog,
Great narrative as usual for sure, but for me, Sylphide is always trying to steal the show.
As you are aware, I have been fond of your ride since you introduced her to me and this photo of her wake just reinforces my view on that.

Quite the slippery looking hull!

Attachments

• IMG_4201.jpeg
    IMG_4201.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 36

We'll skip the court martial this time :thumb:

Wifey B: Unfortunately when the company making Ding Dongs closed, Hostess resumed with a far less tasty product. It's smaller and the taste just isn't the same. King Dong was just a previous name. :)

Good! One less thing for me to be addicted to, lol.

Hey Swampdog,
Great narrative as usual for sure, but for me, Sylphide is always trying to steal the show.
As you are aware, I have been fond of your ride since you introduced her to me and this photo of her wake just reinforces my view on that.

Quite the slippery looking hull!

Well you've obviously got excellent taste! Even at 30,000 lbs, she's the prettier and more graceful character of the two of us, lol. She really is quite slippery. She's got a fair bit of rocker and deadrise aft, which make her quarters lift up above the waterline. She's almost got the KK wineglass cross section at the stern, just not as curvy.

Greetings,
Mr. W. That building just outside of Elizabeth city is indeed an balloon (tethered) factory.

https://tcomlp.com/our-company/facilities/

Image-TCOM-Facilities2.jpg

A balloon factory, you say! Well I'll be a monkey's bare-assed uncle!

King dongs?
Here, "dong" is short for "donger', which is slang for....let me see, an example(an alliterative one): "as dry as a dead dingo`s donger".
I tried quite hard to post a pic of the Australian delicacy, the Tim Tam, but the pics didn`t want to be copied.

Anyway, call that fog? I`ve been in fog so thick you couldn`t see your hand behind your back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom