The Dinghy dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grahambda

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bom Dia
Vessel Make
DeFever 44 OC
Where to put the dinghy!?

So when we bought our DeFever 44 the dinghy was rigged to hang off the transom via a couple of power winches attached to a pair of Davit s. A few problems with this configuration, 1) extended the LOA by 4-5ft, 2) restricted access to the swim platform, unless you dropped the dinghy. Now the DF44 is not an easy boat for line handling nor boarding , and not having the ability to use the swim platform for docking and boarding is an issue and 3) as we plan to cruise the islands having the dinghy hanging off the transom during extended blue water crossings is not ideal.

The plus side of the dinghy transom set up is easy launch and retrieval , vs aft deck roof storage, and having to swing her over to launch and retrieve.

For us to reconfigure to store the dinghy up top comes at a cost and we have to remove the transom Davit setup and make good.

Would welcome the members thoughts on the pros and cons based on their experience.

We use a dinghy sling which allows us to stow the dinghy vertically on the swim platform. Easy to drop and retrieve. This eliminated begging charged for extra length. Still does not solve your line handling issue but is an inexpensive easy option

We use a dinghy sling which allows us to stow the dinghy vertically on the swim platform. Easy to drop and retrieve. This eliminated begging charged for extra length. Still does not solve your line handling issue but is an inexpensive easy option

The topic has been debated here regularly. It comes down to personal preference.

Ignoring the cost and fuss to make the change, the tradeoff is ease of launch and retrieve vs. the cons you mention. Throw in a reduction of rear sightlines from the topside helm if that matters to you. So in the end a part of the decision hinges on whether you use the dink with great frequency (where ease has high value) or rarely. There is no one right way.

On a previous boat we put a SeaWise davit on the dinghy. The dinghy would tip up onto the swim platform. It left one side free for boarding. It was a wonderful system and made launching and recovery a snap. It will add about a foot to the overall length of the boat. It took about a minute to launch and about 2 minutes to recover the dinghy.

My boat came with a dinghy crane and the dinghy store in a cradle on the upper deck. In the beginning launch and recovery were a PIA. Developing techniques and quick release hold downs reduced launch time by 75%. As with any operation, practice makes perfect and reduces time. Now, I couldn't imagine accepting the compromises to store it any other way or tow it. When at destination anchorages, it gets used every day.

Ted

Last edited:
My boat came with a dinghy crane and the dinghy store in a cradle on the upper deck. In the beginning launch and recovery were a PIA. Developing techniques and quick release hold downs reduced launch time by 75%. As with any operation practice makes perfect and reduces time. Now, I couldn't imagine accepting the compromises to store it any other way or tow it. When at destination anchorages, it gets used every day.

Ted
Ted - what "quick release" hold downs did you go with? I just made a set using 1" webbing and 316 compression strap buckle. I don't have a pic of the install, but happen to have spare parts arranged in the attached pic - snap clip goes to hull of RIB, of course. I have seen wire rigging with turnbuckles used which are very secure, but a pain to get on and off.

What are you using?

Peter 20221217_140035.jpg

I think we should add dinghy selection to the list which already includes diesel vs. gasoline, anchor choices and single vs twin engines.

pete

Hey, Slow Hand... Could you elaborate on your techniques and quick release hold-downs?

It sounds like you will do some cruising out of the US, the land of docks. So most of the time, everything you use will come to the boat in the dink. It gets used every day. Get the biggest dink you can for the size of the boat. As tiring as it will be, always, always pull the dink up on the boat at night or you will find it gone due to thief or wind or whatever. Making it as difficult to remove from your boat is as important as making it as easy for you to launch and retrieve every day. We had the luxury in our 45 and 70 fters to be able to put a 13-14'Whaler up on top. We could water ski with it, haul people, scuba tanks etc at 30mph. But where to put it? It had to go on top with a davit. Boat pretty much has to be designed with that in mind. But when the wind is howling, it's raining and you absolutely positively have to get to shore or back to the boat, a small, weak powered dink just won't cut it. Not all boats have this luxury, but if you can, it will be worth it.

I have a boat that is very well suited to upper deck storage, and when I bought it I was very much inclined to go in that direction. If security on offshore passages ranked highly on my list I think I would have gone that route. But I was concerned about my ability to launch and retrieve the dinghy while solo in harsh conditions, and most of the negatives you listed didn't concern me.

I opted for davits. In my case when things start to get really bouncy I drop the dinghy onto a long heavy tow line and look back regularly to make sure it's still there. It's a rare occurrence for me. I'm not sure I've seen davits yet that I'd be comfortable going offshore with.

Anyway, there are always compromises, and sometimes workarounds for unusual use cases. If you've got decent davits it might be worth living with them for a while. If you've got a long passage strap the dinghy on the foredeck or up top with a bit of help.

Ted - what "quick release" hold downs did you go with? I just made a set using 1" webbing and 316 compression strap buckle. I don't have a pic of the install, but happen to have spare parts arranged in the attached pic - snap clip goes to hull of RIB, of course. I have seen wire rigging with turnbuckles used which are very secure, but a pain to get on and off.

What are you using?

Peter View attachment 134515

Hey, Slow Hand... Could you elaborate on your techniques and quick release hold-downs?

These guys will build anything you want in boat straps. They have a variety of stainless hardware including stainless steel ratchet strap hardware. Quality work at very reasonable prices. Unfortunately, there website isn't the most user friendly.

https://customtiedowns.com

I use a 2" ratchet strap to hold the dinghy to the cradle. It has hooks to hold it to the cradle.

https://customtiedowns.com/product2...products_id=5401&catlist=1&store=1#variations

I use a 1" stap with a spring loaded cam buckle, and hooks on each end to keep the dinghy from moving forward or backwards. With a hook in the bow eye and the other in the cradle eye, you just pull the bitter end to cinch it tight. To loosen, push the spring loaded release to get some slack in the strap. Then just take the hook off the bow eye. There is an identical strap on the stern. I could also use the same cinch cam buckle to hold the dinghy to the cradle, but I already had the ratchet strap and like it a little tighter in heavy weather.

https://customtiedowns.com/product2...ngth=0.500&webbing=cw1-g3pe&catlist=1&store=1

Ted

I used Soft Chocks and installed folding pad eyes on the upper deck. We have a crane. My thought with the soft chocks was that they are easily stored when the dinghy is in use. No toe stubbers on the fly bridge. The pad eyes are backed with 1/2" G10 epoxied in place.

The photos show the tie down method. Straps are ss from U S Cargo Control. I had the bow turnbuckle from the Green boat.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_1732.jpg
    IMG_1732.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2482.jpg
    IMG_2482.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2481.jpg
    IMG_2481.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
These guys will build anything you want in boat straps. They have a variety of stainless hardware including stainless steel ratchet strap hardware. Quality work at very reasonable prices. Unfortunately, there website isn't the most user friendly.

https://customtiedowns.com

All of our dinghy tie-downs are from them, maybe from an earlier tip here... Good stuff.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom