The invasion of BC has begun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, it appears nothing is for sure.

From a mom here in BC:

My daughter, in Washington State was planning on coming to visit us this week. She did the rapid test for COVID and was so sure it would be clear she set out.

Half way to the border, she got the results and guess what. She tested positive for COVID, even though she had been doubly vaccinated with Phizer.

She had to turn around and go home. Now her whole family (all fully vaccinated) are quarantined and are being tested today.

Canada considers those with 2 doses of AZ to be fully vaccinated, those with one moderna, one Phizer to be fully vaccinated.....
Is that really the Canadian benchmark for Moderna and Pfizer, ie. one shot = fully vaccinated? If so, there will surely be trouble ahead.

Well, it appears nothing is for sure.

From a mom here in BC:

My daughter, in Washington State was planning on coming to visit us this week. She did the rapid test for COVID and was so sure it would be clear she set out.

Half way to the border, she got the results and guess what. She tested positive for COVID, even though she had been doubly vaccinated with Phizer.

She had to turn around and go home. Now her whole family (all fully vaccinated) are quarantined and are being tested today.

So it looks like everything is working like it is supposed too. The entry rules prevented a positive case from crossing the border. She had it, but didn't know until the test told her because she had the vaccine as well as her family.

Canada considers those with 2 doses of AZ to be fully vaccinated, those with one moderna, one Phizer to be fully vaccinated.
However the US does not look at it that way at the moment.
I have mixed feelings about this one way border opening.

We are fully vaccinated with 2 doses of any combination. Many people have AZ and Moderna.

Meanwhile our authorities here in Aus are still undecided about accepting a mix of vaccines - because we are a different species, is my guess. Who knew..? :facepalm:

So it looks like everything is working like it is supposed too. The entry rules prevented a positive case from crossing the border. She had it, but didn't know until the test told her because she had the vaccine as well as her family.

My point was, you can be fully vaccinated and still get the virus.

My point was, you can be fully vaccinated and still get the virus.
You are absolutely correct the vaccine doesn't prevent infections, it lessons the symptoms and hopefully prevents serious side effects. That is why she didn't know she had it until the test. Everyone will still get it.

I hope everyone traveling to and through B.C. has a safe and wonderful trip. I look forward to the photos.

CharlieO said:
I hope everyone traveling to and through B.C. has a safe and wonderful trip.
I'm hearing murmurs of a couple of strategic fuel docks asking for proof of vaccination.

You are absolutely correct the vaccine doesn't prevent infections, it lessons the symptoms and hopefully prevents serious side effects. That is why she didn't know she had it until the test. Everyone will still get it.

That is not what the clinical trials proved. The better vaccines are pretty good at preventing detectable disease and very good at preventing serious disease. Everyone will not still get it.

The Canadian regulations recognize that you may test positive for several months after recovery, so under some circumstances you can enter with a positive test.

DDW,
"The Canadian regulations recognize that you may test positive for several months after recovery, so under some circumstances you can enter with a positive test."
Can you explain, as I had not heard that the Border Officers were considered "medical personnel" or even medically qualified in any way?
I am not "doubting" your statement (just details or source of info) however, as our Governments has shown itself capable of many "strange" decisions.

I would appreciate it if you could post where you are getting your test. The link shows Walgrens, but they cannot verify within results within 24-48 hrs. As you know, we need the results back within 24 hrs to get there in time tomeet the 72 hour limit. Plus it has to be the PCR test. I have friends who drove over at 9:01 PM last Monday night to get to their summer cabins, make sure you use the ArriveCAN app and have the actual card, & papers to confirm, all went well!

I was in sight of the Peace Arch crossing, about mid day on the 11th and 12th, and there was no traffic, headed North. I am sure there is some traffic, but it must be very light. I was only there for a few minutes. Pre-pandemic days there was always a flow of traffic. The invasion must be on hold.

You might want to verify it but I believe that Canada will accept all molecular tests not just PCR tests. It is Antigen tests that have shown accuracy problems.

I was in sight of the Peace Arch crossing, about mid day on the 11th and 12th, and there was no traffic, headed North. I am sure there is some traffic, but it must be very light. I was only there for a few minutes. Pre-pandemic days there was always a flow of traffic. The invasion must be on hold.

Monday the ninth, was like a Walmart grand opening; seven hour lines at Peace Arch and a swarm acoss the water. Tuesday a few, then just a trickle since.

https://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/13.html

You might want to verify it but I believe that Canada will accept all molecular tests not just PCR tests. It is Antigen tests that have shown accuracy problems.

Accepted tests:
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ng-into-canada

All travellers must provide one of the accepted types of tests, not an antigen test, including those who are fully vaccinated.
Accepted types of tests
These tests are considered acceptable molecular tests:
• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
• RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
• Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
• Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
• Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
• Isothermal amplification
• Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
• Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
• RNA (Ribonucleic acid)
• Ct (cycle threshold)
• CRISPR
• Sequencing
• Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS)
• Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE)
• Detection of the N gene
• Detection of Orf1a/b
• Detection of the S gene
• Detection of the E gene
• Detection of the RdRp gene
These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample. At this time, proof of having a vaccine will not replace a negative test result.

I would appreciate it if you could post where you are getting your test. The link shows Walgrens, but they cannot verify within results within 24-48 hrs. As you know, we need the results back within 24 hrs to get there in time tomeet the 72 hour limit. Plus it has to be the PCR test. I have friends who drove over at 9:01 PM last Monday night to get to their summer cabins, make sure you use the ArriveCAN app and have the actual card, & papers to confirm, all went well!

I think they are covering themselves. The PCR test has to be sent off so that will take a while, but they are doing a NAAT test which is acceptable to Canada also, I know three people to get it and they received notification shortly after leaving the store. As I mentioned, the testing instrument is on site, it’s just the time it takes to put your sample in the machine, let it run its protocol, and a store bureaucracy of paperwork.

DDW,
"The Canadian regulations recognize that you may test positive for several months after recovery, so under some circumstances you can enter with a positive test."
Can you explain, as I had not heard that the Border Officers were considered "medical personnel" or even medically qualified in any way?
I am not "doubting" your statement (just details or source of info) however, as our Governments has shown itself capable of many "strange" decisions.

All I know is what I read on the Ca government website. It does seem to change in subtle ways quite frequently. For example it says

If you’ve already had COVID-19 you may continue to test positive after you’ve recovered and are no longer infectious.

If you are now symptom-free, you can provide proof of a positive COVID-19 molecular test when crossing the border, instead of a negative one.

The test must have been conducted between 14 and 90 days prior to your scheduled entry into Canada
The proof of the positive result must be from an accepted type of molecular test

So you are actually better off having had it and still testing positive, than not.

Can we please get back to the CBSA requirements .

Can we please get back to the CBSA requirements .

"CBSA requirements" are listed throughout this thread.
Are you now hoping to change your status from transit through to discretionary travel? Are you fully vaccinated, with a vaccine acceptable to the Canadian Government?

"CBSA requirements" are listed throughout this thread.
Are you now hoping to change your status from transit through to discretionary travel? Are you fully vaccinated, with a vaccine acceptable to the Canadian Government?
A good lawyer would already know the answer, as do you. :D

Yes please. This discussion must be uncomfortable for the unvaccinated.
Might be might not. For those not vaxxed the trip south is the same as heading north other than the COVID test.

The CBSA are just passing those that are Vaxed. So they are approved on the phone.

This may be redundant information, but here it is (again).

Our local providers are now referring persons seeking PCR testing for travel purposes to:

http://www.pixel.labcorp.com/covid-19

They state that results will be emailed within 1-2 days.

Ive cancelled our day-long mainland travel and testing and ordered a couple of kits. Ill let you know how the timing goes once we are thru the process. For us we've gained a little flexibility coordinating with other commitments prior to departure.

Unfortunately the Pixel literature is not reassuring on the timing.

"Currently the average time to deliver results is 1-2 days from when your sample is received at the lab."

No maximum nor does it include transit time to the lab. Let us know how it works for you. Would be great if it works.

I just checked (as I will be in the area in a few weeks myself and am doing my pre-trip research) and as a sample, almost all Skagit and Whatcom Walgreens locations have appointments available for tomorrow and Saturday though you may not get your ideal time slot. This is for the ID NOW rapid molecular test.

It doesn't appear to me that you can schedule an appointment more than two or three days into the future - at least with Walgreens.

Curious about this. I was just on the Walgrens website, they show no ID NOW tests available at any store north of Olympia, and no appointments available for any store north of the Everett for any test. Did you have to call the stores, and did they say something on the phone that was different than the website?

Unfortunately the Pixel literature is not reassuring on the timing.

"Currently the average time to deliver results is 1-2 days from when your sample is received at the lab."

No maximum nor does it include transit time to the lab. Let us know how it works for you. Would be great if it works.

I'm interested in the same thing, and the timing is definitely a consideration. You'd want to do the test as close to the last pickup as possible, then stage ready as close to the border as practical. I'm thinking of doing one that ships via UPS and one that ships Fedex to hedge my bets, as delivery times have been inconsistent.

Amazon has a test that is only $40 and claims 24 hour turn around from receipt: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZR5XNBM Haven't used it.

Curious about this. I was just on the Walgrens website, they show no ID NOW tests available at any store north of Olympia, and no appointments available for any store north of the Everett for any test. Did you have to call the stores, and did they say something on the phone that was different than the website?

No, I was on the online system.

But yesterday I tried it again and the site kept crashing. Never did get to the reservations page. I wonder if demand has jumped.

Yeah, I found the same thing the other day when i was looking.

Back
Top Bottom