The Long Wait

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the new norm, to use a worn-out descriptor. I see it here in the Great Lakes too. Younger people are not going into the skilled trades. Unless they are working om a union shop, there is no health insurance, no retirement, no nothing. And these things we need on boats are real WORK. Find a shop run by some skillful Mexican family where everybody, including the grandkids know a thing or two. Do not make comments about immigrants. Lots of the stuff we do on boats can be done by people in the automotive industry.
Ha I would agree. I was in a union shop early on in my life. Joined the military, then the Federal Civil service. Why? I looked at the future. Great retirement benefits and a garenteed monthly pay check for life,, even if the government does a so-called shutdown.

Dottos on the Mexican family. We had that happen to us when we replaced the carpet and head tile. Awesome job. On time, worked hard and quality work.

Heck, a crew of workers from Guatemala re-roofed our 4,000 sq ft house last year -- incredible job on a very complex roof, in a day and a half, including cleaning the staples out of the rain gutters. And my grandfather was a German immigrant too, worked in a bakery while he learned English and died a real estate tycoon. I couldn't care less if you're a Martian or blue-green copper-based Horseshoe crab blood runs through your veins instead of hemoglobin, I'll write a check to Tibetan yak herder if he does good work. Whenever I see gov't agencies or the private sector or politicians talk about embracing diversity and broadening the workforce I think heck, when it comes to my boat or my house or hiring employees in my professional life, I don't care if you look like a character from the cantina scene in Star Wars, if you're a good solid, diligent, skilled employee or service provider, you're gold, you're hired!

We wanted some drainage work done at the house last spring. The landscaper said $12,000. We agreed. He said August. Okay. Never heard from him again.
I dropped off some boat cushions to be recovered in October. Here it is December, I'll bet they're not touched yet.
I filed a marina work order last April for new fuel hoses on the boat. Never done, work order was just forgotten.
We went to a tree nursery in June and picked out a large tree. Finally installed in mid-November, surprised he ever showed up.
I could go on but yep, I guess all these people are not very eager for my money. I don't pester people but maybe I should - but I figure I shouldn't have to nag vendors and service people to make money.

Please, do not bother passing along any stock tips. That is a terrible record. I am considering changing residency from FL to SD for RVing purposes. All intention to still domicile here in FL. I thought all the flim flam men were here in FL.

I have an upholstery and canvas business near me. Stidd wants 2 Boat Units ($2,000) for new seat cushion, backrest, and armrests. The guy down the street reupholstered the seat with new foam in 10 days for <$300. I'm taking him the backrest and armrests.

I'm not giving you his name, address, or phone numer. So don't ask. :p

Ted

...The guy down the street reupholstered the seat with new foam in 10 days for <$300. I'm taking him the backrest and armrests.

I'm not giving you his name, address, or phone numer. So don't ask. :p

Ted

How much do I have to pay for his name? I'll make it worth your while. I won't share it with anybody else, promise. I'll have to drive my cushions to to Maryland but I can handle that.

I feel blessed. Several years ago I found a one-man auto upholstery shop to do some work on my cars and boat cushions. He did great work, on time, was very reasonably priced, and also does boat work. I tip him generously each time and offered to adopt him.

Also canvas shops are bad too. We had a brand new center console. The canvas shop had newly laid asphalt paving. So I took several throw rugs and put them in the cockpit of the boat. When I went back there were black asphalt footprints all over the boat including where they stood on the seat backs of the white helm seats. I asked them why they didn’t use the throw rugs, they said because I didn’t tell them to use them... Last time I ever used a canvas shop. I bought a commercial sewing machine and do the work myself.

Also canvas shops are bad too. We had a brand new center console. The canvas shop had newly laid asphalt paving. So I took several throw rugs and put them in the cockpit of the boat. When I went back there were black asphalt footprints all over the boat including where they stood on the seat backs of the white helm seats. I asked them why they didn’t use the throw rugs, they said because I didn’t tell them to use them... Last time I ever used a canvas shop. I bought a commercial sewing machine and do the work myself.

I think just like everything else, there are good and bad. I have had some very good canvas work done.

Back
Top Bottom