The New Helmsman 46

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could you speak to gelcoat for color Vs painting? Was this a choice for you?
The Awlgrip was offered instead of gelcoat at no cost. There was little color difference compared to the gelcoat Kingston grey. Awlgrip is superior in terms of stain-resistantance, and has better longevity. Gelcoat is easier to repair and has better water resistance. In the final analysis, I went for Awlgrip.

Do you have your boat yet?
Very soon.
Space on a container vessel leaving Shanghai of 27th of this month has been confirmed. Destination is Seattle WA, in three weeks. I will witness the offload and then be on board for the short trip to Helmsman's docks in Lake Union. Photos will follow. It's been tough to wait but a few more weeks won't matter now.

Very soon.
Space on a container vessel leaving Shanghai of 27th of this month has been confirmed. Destination is Seattle WA, in three weeks. I will witness the offload and then be on board for the short trip to Helmsman's docks in Lake Union. Photos will follow. It's been tough to wait but a few more weeks won't matter now.
Awesome - so exciting - nice to have a date certain for departure. 😎

Propane Elimination

Congratulations, what a great boat!

We eliminated our propane system and removed the range about 2 years ago. They were replaced with 2 induction cooktops and a Breville Smart Oven. Both the induction cooktops and the smart oven have meet our requirements and been enjoyable to use. My wife is a baker, and elimination of heat and moisture in the boat is dramatic. I think you will be pleased with your decision - we would not switch back to propane.

Enjoy the build experience!
What is a (Breville) smart oven, please? Electric of some sort, I'm guessing? Not sure I'd ever go for induction, but maybe. But what's the reason to do that, other than get rid of propane? I like gas/propane for cook tops, but electric for my ovens at home.

What is a (Breville) smart oven, please? Electric of some sort, I'm guessing? Not sure I'd ever go for induction, but maybe. But what's the reason to do that, other than get rid of propane? I like gas/propane for cook tops, but electric for my ovens at home.
It`s an Air Fryer type oven. Though I think even conventional fan ovens, are of the nature of an air fryer.

We have a Breville smart oven in the house. I barely use my regular over at all after getting it. We absolutely love it and would highly recommend.

Last edited:
Considered a Breville for the H46 but wanted a clear counterspace. We decided on a built-in Samsung convection microwave and a Kenyon induction cooktop instead of propane. Not having the double propane cylinders up top opened up some more useable storage up there.

Considered a Breville for the H46 but wanted a clear counterspace. We decided on a built-in Samsung convection microwave and a Kenyon induction cooktop instead of propane. Not having the double propane cylinders up top opened up some more useable storage up there.
Off topic, please forgive me. Do you think propane on a boat is a risk? I know many have been doing it for a long time. I love gas for cooking, but was thinking, since we'll be getting a decent sized genny for the HVAC anyway, probably best to avoid the risk and hassle of having to refill. Heck, if we got an electric dingy motor, we'd only have to deal with diesel. Did any of this factor into your decision?

Off topic, please forgive me. Do you think propane on a boat is a risk? I know many have been doing it for a long time. I love gas for cooking, but was thinking, since we'll be getting a decent sized genny for the HVAC anyway, probably best to avoid the risk and hassle of having to refill. Heck, if we got an electric dingy motor, we'd only have to deal with diesel. Did any of this factor into your decision?
Actually, no. We don't think propane on board is a substantial risk as safeguards are required on modern recreational vessels. The decision was made more on the availability of propane refills on extended cruises in less populated places up north in the PNW. The 46 comes standard with a 9kw genset, so no real worry about using the appliances when on the hook. Thanks for asking.

I think the “what is it” has been answered…

What is the reason…several. The propane range was not ideal for baking, the heat was uneven, leading us to explore replacement. Propane combustion leaves a significant amount of moisture in the boat, something not needed in the US PNW and BC. Propane burners leave a significant amount of heat in the boat, also unwanted on most days. Removing another fuel source that needed filling in exotic locations was appealing with our long-range cruising plans at the time. Removing the propane cylinder afforded us another locker of premium space. Finally, removing another fire hazzard, no matter how safe and proven, was appealing. The induction cooktop has very little heat loss, and the Breville oven bakes very well.

It has been a few years now and we remain very pleased with the performance of the changed equipment.

I think the “what is it” has been answered…

What is the reason…several. The propane range was not ideal for baking, the heat was uneven, leading us to explore replacement. Propane combustion leaves a significant amount of moisture in the boat, something not needed in the US PNW and BC. Propane burners leave a significant amount of heat in the boat, also unwanted on most days. Removing another fuel source that needed filling in exotic locations was appealing with our long-range cruising plans at the time. Removing the propane cylinder afforded us another locker of premium space. Finally, removing another fire hazzard, no matter how safe and proven, was appealing. The induction cooktop has very little heat loss, and the Breville oven bakes very well.

It has been a few years now and we remain very pleased with the performance of the changed equipment.
Hi Jeff - would you replace a microwave with the Breville? Microwaves take up a lot of room - we use ours for coffee reheating and warming oatmeal...

Hi Jeff - would you replace a microwave with the Breville? Microwaves take up a lot of room - we use ours for coffee reheating and warming oatmeal...
Can't speak for Jeff, but we use ours for a bunch of things, although heating liquids isn't one of them. It does replace a lot of different gadgets in the kitchen, including the oven. Here's a screen shot of ours, it'll show you all the things it does.

Attachments

• 20240913_125354.jpg
    20240913_125354.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 13
Can't speak for Jeff, but we use ours for a bunch of things, although heating liquids isn't one of them. It does replace a lot of different gadgets in the kitchen, including the oven. Here's a screen shot of ours, it'll show you all the things it does.
Thanks - helpful!

Back
Top Bottom