Thinking of down sizing to a Sundowner 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

man7sell

Vessel Name
BONGO
Vessel Make
Sundowner 30
After several years with my Nauticat 40, I am thinking of downsizing to a Sundowner 30. It seams over the past 3 years I have spent most of my time upgrading and repairing my boat instead of using her. Now I realize that I'm getting a little older as is the wife, so single handing the NC40 is getting a little much. Tried to buy a Lord Nelson 37 (2 times) each time just a little late.

We had great plans of taking the grand kids out sailing but now they are teens, way too busy.

I think the Sundowner would be the perfect little boat for the PNW San Juan Islands etc.

I think the Sundowner would be the perfect little boat for the PNW San Juan Islands etc.

Me too! I haven't been aboard one, but have admired them from the outside.

Good luck with the switch. I don't think you'll regret it.

They are a good solid boat.
If you haven’t looked at the 32, do so here and note two things; the wider side decks, upgraded windows and helm doors. You will appreciate both.
https://youtu.be/eg5Veb09Es0

Too bad Murray is no longer here, her was/is a proud owner.

After several years with my Nauticat 40, I am thinking of downsizing to a Sundowner 30. It seams over the past 3 years I have spent most of my time upgrading and repairing my boat instead of using her. Now I realize that I'm getting a little older as is the wife, so single handing the NC40 is getting a little much. Tried to buy a Lord Nelson 37 (2 times) each time just a little late.

We had great plans of taking the grand kids out sailing but now they are teens, way too busy.

I agree with the last line bolded but as an owner of several boats cannot believe that a different boat will be turnkey and not cry for personal upgrades. So keep in mind switching boats does not guarantee less work.

Made the plunge

I agree with the last line bolded but as an owner of several boats cannot believe that a different boat will be turnkey and not cry for personal upgrades. So keep in mind switching boats does not guarantee less work.

Agreed. This boat has new fuel tanks, new engine 360 hours. Is beautifully maintained (That mean upkeep for the teak in my future or maybe the wife's future). Updated electronics. Survey is next.

Thanks and looked at that one.

Other than a cramped ER, what was the downside?

Maybe I missed it but, I sure would want a dry head.

If you have always wanted a LN, this a boat to give serious consideration.

I am 73, I have had my 36 foot Albin for about 13 years. Your plans match mine exactly, I need something smaller and trailerable, a cuddy cabin will do.

pete

I have a Sundowner 32 and just completed the Great Loop solo. The extra room the 32 gives matters. They are solid and well thought out.

Had a friend that lived on his Sundowner 30 in Friday Harbor for many years. He loved his boat.

Survey coming up

Well we are on our way now. Survey is mid July Then closing after that. I really need to sell my Nauticat 40 soon :rofl: Had a lot of interest as they are sort after world cruisers. Looking forward to this next chapter.

I had a 30 Sundowner and took it from Anacortes to Juneau and back. I singlehanded about 75% of the way. Very efficient. It ended up in Bellingham. The new owner repowered it. I wonder if i could be the same boat.

Sales pic

Like the fact that it has new fuel tanks and new engine with only 360 ish hours

Attachments

• Walrus001sm.jpg
    Walrus001sm.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 55
I had a 30 Sundowner and took it from Anacortes to Juneau and back. I singlehanded about 75% of the way. Very efficient. It ended up in Bellingham. The new owner repowered it. I wonder if i could be the same boat.

What was the name of your Sundowner?

Survey and sea trial

Survey went well, just a couple of write ups.

Attachments

• haulout.jpg
    haulout.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 37
I have a 1982 SD-30 and love it. very easy to take out by yourself and it has all the room in the world for two. The only down side is the bed and getting into the lav. with the center piece in you have to get into the bed to use the restroom.
i'll I can say is you will love it.
William

I have a 1982 SD-30 and love it. very easy to take out by yourself and it has all the room in the world for two. The only down side is the bed and getting into the lav. with the center piece in you have to get into the bed to use the restroom.
i'll I can say is you will love it.
William

Yes I can see how the bed enter exit can be a problem, going from this to this

Attachments

• Aftcabin01.jpg
    Aftcabin01.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Walrus012.jpg
    Walrus012.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back