Thoughts on a Seapiper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lead time of 8 months for that kind of manufacturer isn't a very full order book. Yes it is a niche boat. Niches fill quickly.

So this one filled quickly enough for production capacity to increase and wait times to increase when the boat just came on the market? You seem to be making contradictory points.

And, it isn't a matter of getting a few drops on you going forward. I'm guessing you haven't been out in much weather. If you are driving that thing into a seaway and rain, just opening the pilothouse door is going to soak the pilothouse sole. The forward companionway has scuttle hatch that has to be raised so everything in the forward cabin will be soaked too. That is a fair weather arrangement - even with the Bimini.

I'll wear a fur coat and carry an umbrella. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal and the design opens up so many possibilities that only your imagination is the limit. I prefer to think open minded.

For backinblue.

No kayaks now but paddle boards. Kayaks, web straps, and foamies are on my truck currently. PXL_20210715_010312752.jpg

Thanks Spy. For anyone seriously considering a Seapiper, I contacted the company to see if they had one on display somewhere local or at a boat show. They do not. But they will try to put you in contact with a nearby owner if possible, which led me to this website. Lots of info about good and bad about the boat and how the owner improved it.

https://mvkiwi.com/

I through bolted tie-down eye straps on top of a 1/4" thick rectangular teak pad; four for each kayak. The through bolts (actually 10-24 machine screws) have 1" fender washers on the backside and the holes are all properly potted with epoxy. The teak pads are varnished and bedded to the deck with Boatlife polysulfide ( I like their teak color) to keep it all waterproof.

I use foam kayak blocks and 1" webbing straps as you would use on a car roof rack. Strips off easy and can barely see when all is removed.

https://sea-dog.com/groups/2269-tie-down-eye-strap

Over-zoomed cropped photo attached, but you'll get the idea.

Kayaks on pilothouse pic here: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/members/2548-albums30-picture2244.html

Initially I used the handrails. But I prefer using the handrails for hands and the straps were tough on the varnish.

Since my handrails on the roof are stainless steel I think I'll try using them first. I think they could still serve as handrails too. Putting holes through my roof are not easy because there is a headliner on the inside to deal with.

Several people on this thread have said that the SeaPiper will fit in a container. I don't believe that is correct - am I wrong? It will probably go on a flat rack, but to fit in a container it would need to be about 7.5' beam.

Also, several people have mentioned that if it were bigger (wider, longer) it would have more room in the accommodation. That isn't really the point of this boat, plenty to choose from if you want bigger. Its biggest drawback is the unusual deck plan, not suitable for many uses.

SeaPiper's are shipped on flat rack. Not container.
Pretty much of the full beam is utilize inside. Cabin is not a walk around so all that walk around deck space is used inside. Because of this SeaPiper has more interior space the my 10' beam I had. Being 6'2" I have no issues with head room other then the engine space.

We’re going to try another angle. My first hurdle is to find out if my girlfriend, a non boater, so far! - will buy into this. Got to thinking, she doesn’t care diesel, range, any of that at this point. So, we’re going to start looking at some of the boats you guys have suggested and see what feedback I get. If I wait to find a Sea Piper to check out I may never find out! Got my eye on a couple Ranger tugs right now.

I'm not saying that layout isn't useful for some people. But useless for others. There is a reason that almost no other trawler sold looks like that. All of those things you mention will be pretty cold and miserable in the PNW for example. I don't want to have to put on foul weather gear just to go to the head.

The draft plus air draft is 11' 2", so you are going to have to run over it with that Cat before it will fit. However if you had the trailer you can ship it RoRo, and that would be even cheaper than a container. Downside is the possibility of theft or damage is greater.

There is one in PNW. Hull 6 or 7 don't remember which. Sailboats run PNW all the time with just a Dodger and open cockpit. Think of the center cockpit as a extension of the cabins. Do it up with a Bimini top, side covers and Dodger.
I for one don't have any issues going forward to use the head. Been on plenty of boats including my own that climbing down from a fly bridge and making your way to the cabin and then to the head is more of a task then crossing the center cockpit of the SeaPiper.

They need more beam. A 9.5 ft. beam would make a huge difference in the internal spaces. The difficulty in trailering 9.5 ft versus 8.5 ft is negligible, particularly with a vessel that's 35 ft. long.
I’m enjoying this thread . The reason I am chiming is I hauled oversize freight coast to coast for 12 years. I spent a year and a half of that time hauling 40 foot plus Boats from Washington state up and down the East Coast. Mostly brand new meridians from the factory and Nordic tug’s all over 40’13 feet plus beam Some of them 16 feet tall loaded.Anything under 10 feet wide 14 tall was like a vacation to me. Throw on a set of signs and flags the corners and go anywhere you want no pilots needed over 10 feet would require one pilot mostly on the East Coast 12 feet wide on the west coast not a big deal if you don’t mind paying a buck and a half to two dollars a mile for the pilot. And you are given a route to follow.Over 14 feet or 15 feet on the West Coast you’ll need a pole car that’s another two bucks a mile.Another thing you have to consider is weight. Over 20,000 pounds you’re getting into semi truck category my Nordic loaded to include the trailer weight is around 16 17,000 a 1 ton Dooley pulls it just fine but it has hydraulic disc brakes And three axles I’m pretty sure the trailer I have for my Nordic 26 would haul this Boat I don’t know if that helped or not I do know about shipping . a lot of the meridians I hauled went to the port of Houston and we’re placed on flat racks and sent overseas . A boat able to fit in a standard shipping container would probably be cheaper

Another thing I should’ve mentioned if this is a private recreational boat you’re not subject to all the trucking rules . you still have to get permits but you don’t have to stop at scales or have a commercial driver‘s license as long as it’s not used for business in anyway you can go out and buy a semi truck and trailer and haul a Very large boat without stopping at scales being subject to all the commercial regs

AS we get older a boat that just fit inside a 40 ft container would be grand.

A couple of thousand to send it most anywhere and it would arrive unmolested, all gear intact , ready to go.

A set of lifting eyes , same as the carry box has could get it launched as soon as the delivery ship left.

Could be able to sleep 4 or 6 in a pinch but cruise two . The long skinny shape should allow good speed with low fuel burn , probably an aluminum hull , box keel and keel cooled dry stack would require almost no maint.

Been dreaming about it for years!
you can pick anything . Apart not a bad idea however, what’s your definition of a few thousand dollars I checked what it cost to put my 26 Nordic on a ferry to Alaska I think it was 4500 and then about $2500 to get it back cheaper going home everything else I like

If you are having a single engine boat constructed, having a bow and stern thruster installed are a no brainer. There were plenty of times I was glad to have both, especially while single handing, including docking with a handheld remote at unfamiliar places.

Trim, keep us posted on your new build progress. Look forward to seeing you out there in SD.

Bow thrusters can be handy I had one on my last boat however and please don’t argue with this . it Can’t be reasonably disputed. Every single engine boat with a decent size Rudder , already has a stern thruster it is called a propeller and a rudder, with a little bit of throttle you can put the Stern anywhere you want it . They are competitions out east doing exactly that . I forget what they’re called lobster boat rodeo something like that . you can look it up on YouTube , exactly what I’m talking about a little bit on the radical side though , backing a single screw boats in a slips at around 30 seconds it’s a competition with prize money . I know some people like to have things they don’t really need just cause they can . but remember you got to maintain it

So buy a SeaPiper and rework the center cockpit. Move everything fwd including the helm, plus a steering station all the way aft, outside.
Bigger galley, extra head, extra stateroom etc and presto, you have a canal boat. SMILE
Or you can purchase the following boat:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2012/wide-beam-narrowboat-reeves-58--3725236/
Get a yacht wireless remote and you can steer etc from the fwd cockpit.

Punch in 2 or 3 roof top ACs and you are almost done. Just have to convert the 220vt to 120vt or a dock side transformer and presto, you are finished.
All for the starting price of a shade over $220K

Last edited:
I don't quite get all the negative attitude towards the Seapiper. C'mon guys. If there was truly a perfect boat, we would all be sailing the same boat.

The Seapiper doesn't meet my current needs but then I'm on my third boat over 36'. Most of you have have also had more than one boat. Why didn't you all but the perfect boat the first time eh?

I don't quite get all the negative attitude towards the Seapiper. C'mon guys. If there was truly a perfect boat, we would all be sailing the same boat.

The Seapiper doesn't meet my current needs but then I'm on my third boat over 36'. Most of you have have also had more than one boat. Why didn't you all but the perfect boat the first time eh?

Ah yes, my first boat, 1989 Nordhavn46. Was a great boat until they allowed it to fall off the jacks, driving the port stabilizer wing into the owners stateroom.
Constructive loss.

Per the SeaPiper, I agree with you analysis ..... Great boat, just not for me.
I wish them great success.
Driving the same boat and married to the same woman. Gotta have a little spice and variety in one's life.

My current and last boat is an American Tug34. Meets my needs.

I for one couldn’t agree more I see nothing but positive when I look at this boat . that’s quite a long list so I won’t bore you with all of them. As for the center cockpit yes it might collection water however there’s a door and six scuppers on both sides port and starboard I don’t think any water would stay very long and I would have a nice view of my wife sitting in the sun while I was cruising along I see that to be quite a nice positive. 85 hp beta is a good engine , Kubota Builds the best small commercial engines. The stern cockpit small yes, large enough for two people to fish and did you see the double transom door what’s not to like , wow !!! oh and I forgot the built on swim step. Yes tight quarters in the salon however if you’re not female and friendly you’re not gonna be on my boat. I pretty much narrowed it down to women who don’t mind fat old guys, I guess that pretty much narrows it down to me and my wife maybe my dog . I don’t mind bumping into her . There’s one on yacht world for sale for 175,000 essentially a brand new boat with 40 hours on it I’ll keep an eye on it if nobody buys it and the price comes down to 120 I’ll take my Nordic off The trailer and go get it . so I hope everybody else hates it so I can afford to buy it

There’s one on yacht world for sale for 175,000 essentially a brand new boat with 40 hours on it I’ll keep an eye on it if nobody buys it and the price comes down to 120 I’ll take my Nordic off The trailer and go get it . so I hope everybody else hates it so I can afford to buy it

"Hannah" was sold for full price about three days after it was posted on YachtWorld.

Bow thrusters can be handy I had one on my last boat however and please don’t argue with this . it Can’t be reasonably disputed. Every single engine boat with a decent size Rudder , already has a stern thruster it is called a propeller and a rudder, with a little bit of throttle you can put the Stern anywhere you want it . They are competitions out east doing exactly that . I forget what they’re called lobster boat rodeo something like that . you can look it up on YouTube , exactly what I’m talking about a little bit on the radical side though , backing a single screw boats in a slips at around 30 seconds it’s a competition with prize money . I know some people like to have things they don’t really need just cause they can . but remember you got to maintain it

Yes, and good boat handling dictates lots of practice and being able to dock your boat without thrusters. I am not sure how much time away from the dock you spend In your Ranger Tug. I am in and out of strange marinas on a continual basis, and I as I stated in my post you quoted, often operating single handed. There are times where the bow and stern thruster were very helpful. I use all of the tools available to me. If someone is having a boat constructed new, and want them, the cost of a thruster are a non issue. Btw, I have been around boats for awhile as well.

Last edited:
"Hannah" was sold for full price about three days after it was posted on YachtWorld.

That was a bargain. Hannah has the largest fuel capacity of any SeaPiper built. About 320 gallons. The spec sheet on Yacht World was a little off.
I also understand La Joy has a possible contract on it.

Hannah is #3 and La Joy is #4. I don't know how many have been delivered to date.

Yes, and good boat handling dictates lots of practice and being able to dock your boat without thrusters. I am not sure how much time away from the dock you spend In your Ranger Tug. I am in and out of strange marinas on a continual basis, and I as I stated in my post you quoted, often operating single handed. There are times where the bow and stern thruster were very helpful. I use all of the tools available to me. If someone is having a boat constructed new, and want them, the cost of a thruster are a non issue. Btw, I have been around boats for awhile as well. Whatever works for you works for you. Do you know what Forrest Gump said

I thought you guys hated that boat, personally I love it. I’m in the process of refitting my Nordic I hope that it works out like I envision

Hannah is #3 and La Joy is #4. I don't know how many have been delivered to date.

7 have been delivered to date. #6 and #7 were delivered August 2020.
One went to PNW and the other to Oxnard, CA.
#8 and #9 (mine) will be next. As with everything COVID has caused a few hiccups along the way.

That was a bargain. Hannah has the largest fuel capacity of any SeaPiper built. About 320 gallons. The spec sheet on Yacht World was a little off.
I also understand La Joy has a possible contract on it.

Whoa, 320 gallons? Anyone know if new Seapiper builds can be outfitted with this much fuel?

Whoa, 320 gallons? Anyone know if new Seapiper builds can be outfitted with this much fuel?

Sticky, not quit as much. Hannah had two 135 gallon tanks installed with two 25 gallon saddle tanks that were an option for either fuel or fresh water.
The latest SeaPiper design uses two 100 gallon approx. tanks with optional fuel tank. I don't remember how much that tank holds.

Sticky, not quit as much. Hannah had two 135 gallon tanks installed with two 25 gallon saddle tanks that were an option for either fuel or fresh water.
The latest SeaPiper design uses two 100 gallon approx. tanks with optional fuel tank. I don't remember how much that tank holds.

200 gal standard with optional 55 gal fuel or water. Generally I am more worried about running out of water than fuel. Depends on your style of boating.

I can make water - fuel is a bit tougher! :^)

Like I said, depends on how and where you boat. I can't make water and I burn very little fuel so if I am out for more then a few days, water tends to be the bigger concern. The Seapiper should be pretty efficient on fuel so with full fuel and water tanks, I still think I'd run out of water first so probably opt for more water capacity if I had to choose.

Last edited:
Other than your choice of electronics, the SeaPiper standard boat is very well equipped boat.
Of course for another $50K+ you will have customized it to its full potential.
Add in a yacht wireless controller and you can control the boat from where ever you wish.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom