To box or not to box? That is the battery question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or call for a one time exclusion.

Insurance companies actually can be reasonable if you are.

That was mentioned over in the insurance thread.

Be honest and they may let you do it no sweat or might say OK with a higher deductible for the one time trip. A quick phone call or email should be no big deal with no downside other than a little time.

I have convinced them some pretty big requirements on my old boat were not realistic and they removed them from the to do list.

Last edited:
psneeld
Gets my vote. But I also think you are in compliance with trays and straps if the straps are tight.
My '08 Mainship 34HT has 3 8Ds in trays similar to yours.
Your plan to switch to AGM is a good one IMO but I am done with 8D battys and there are better options. I would try to explain to the insurance co that the batty banks are a project to be completed when at home port but will require more extensive work.
If the surveyor cited battys as "not being secured" I'd buy and install a bright colored strap and secure them in the tray. If they move horizontally the add some small wood blocks around the batteries so they can't move.
If the surveyor stated that boxes are required I'd ask him/her to cite the ABYC section that requires it. Better yet copy the section quoted in prior post and provide it along with photos of current trays with new straps securing the battys. The fact that this was / is Mainship factory install and not a PO DIY project should carry some weight.

I recently developed a different opinion on 8Ds. My boat has 2x8D for house as well and I was dreading replacement. It was not nearly as bad as I thought. Get one helper, tie ropes to the handles, and lift from a standing position above them. It's not so bad.

I'd do the delivery, then get a helper, and put them in boxes when you get home Keep them as long as they're still good. Put new AGMs in their place when needed.

The battery setup on trays is what I had on my 390, which I had purchased new from Mainship in 2002. Mine were AGM's, strapped to the trays, which were mounted. My current Mainship Pilot43 came with Gel Batteries, mounted on a shelf with straps (no tray). I do not know, but assume as mentioned that it may have to do with the type of battery.

Pulling 8D's doesn't have to be that hard. I pulled two by myself and I'm 67 and never was a Marine. I used a chain hoist hooked to an articulating step ladder (Mighty Mini Mite, or whatever they call those things) set up over the open engine hatch and lifted them out. Replaced the hatch and lowered the battery to the floor and dragged out to the door. Then set the ladder up over the steps to the door (it's a Sundeck design with steps leading down from the back deck to the salon) and lifted them to the sun deck. Then moved the chain hoist to the hard top and lowered them into my truck. (Boat was on the hard at the time.) No strained back, hernia, or even bad words. Had a couple witnesses who seemed impressed.

When I had 8Ds on the N46, I had no trouble changing them.
The deal with the battery company was, 'I but them, you deliver and install them.'
The company had no trouble. Not too sure if the two young men had and trouble, I just watched.

When it comes to permanently mounting batteries I prefer putting the batteries in boxes with lids. This is not an ABYC requirement however it is my preference. The boxes contain any spillage and they do a great job of keeping debris out. I usually screw the boxes in place and then I strap the lid down.

Even if the surveyor said to add boxes I would simply state to my Insurance provider “batteries issue addressed, now conforms to ABYC standards”. I would not bother to mention how I addressed the issue. Nor would I waste time arguing with a surveyor.

Back
Top Bottom