To the Teak Deck Naysayers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just took all the screws out of my decks. Like over 3000 of them. Filled the holes with epoxy. End of potential problem.

Did you re-screw the deck down?

Nope, no reason to. Lots and lots of adhesive was put down by the factory. If at some point a board starts to move it will be a very easy matter to drill out a plug and insert a screw. And the new screw would be into solid epoxy, not core.

I previously owned a 1939 Alden trawler. Wood hull and everything was teak. Teak deck, teak ladder Teak trim, teak everywhere. Of course it also had some mahogany. Not a soft spot or rot to be found. I love teak and when it is maintained properly will last forever.

I've been a member of this forum for a pretty long time. I've read scores of threads about teak decks and have endured all the comments about how all teak deck boats are bad, they all leak, they are a disaster.
It bothered me because I have teak decks, and I knew some day I would be selling my boat and most of you all have been telling potential buyers to stay away from teak.

Anyway, yesterday was the survey. The surveyor tapped darn near every inch of the teak decks. He used a moisture meter after that. Including the flybridge deck.
100% solid and dry. And he was amazed that there were no plugs missing! :thumb:

I rest my case.

I'm a bit late to the party but this topic has been brewing in me too for a while now. As you can see from my pic to the left I have the same boat as Jay but that is not the reason I am coming out in support of teak decks. I have a 1982 Albin 40 with tons of teak. First of all, there is nothing wrong with not wanting teak decks, or teak trim, or a wooden hull, or an outdated diesel, or any of the thousand other things that create work for a boat owner. However, you have to ask yourself why there are so many people who love wooden hull boats even though most of you think they were built by Satin himself, and why there are thousands of boat owners (like me) who love all the teak on their boats, whether it is decks or brightwork.
I'm not sure when teak started to become eschewed by the masses, but the fear and concerns are mostly unfounded. Yes, things like teak decks and trim may require more time to maintain but they all have clear benefits which should be obvious to any experienced boater. Do you know how to conquer the fear of maintaining teak? Get good at it! I actually find that maintaining decks and trim a lot more satisfying than just about any other job on my boat. And I have news for you guys who don't already know this but if you own a boat of any size then you are always going to be working on something. Why do I care if it's scraping the hull, cleaning the bilge or caulking a deck seam. Personally, I get more satisfaction from the latter.
I fully agree, if you are buying a boat with teak anywhere, it does create one more thing to investigate and also consider if it fits with your skills and interests but no one should walk away from a sale just by virtue of the fact that teak exists on the boat. It's comfortable on your feet on hot days, it maintains its non-slip properties when wet or dry and it looks great when reasonably maintained. I would never buy a sail boat because I am not interested in the expense and effort associated with all that rigging and the sails etc but I totally understand those who love that. Teak is the same – it’s not an anathema, just a choice and for many boaters like me, the right one.

i'm a bit late to the party but this topic has been brewing in me too for a while now. As you can see from my pic to the left i have the same boat as jay but that is not the reason i am coming out in support of teak decks. I have a 1982 albin 40 with tons of teak. First of all, there is nothing wrong with not wanting teak decks, or teak trim, or a wooden hull, or an outdated diesel, or any of the thousand other things that create work for a boat owner. However, you have to ask yourself why there are so many people who love wooden hull boats even though most of you think they were built by satin himself, and why there are thousands of boat owners (like me) who love all the teak on their boats, whether it is decks or brightwork.
I'm not sure when teak started to become eschewed by the masses, but the fear and concerns are mostly unfounded. Yes, things like teak decks and trim may require more time to maintain but they all have clear benefits which should be obvious to any experienced boater. Do you know how to conquer the fear of maintaining teak? Get good at it! I actually find that maintaining decks and trim a lot more satisfying than just about any other job on my boat. And i have news for you guys who don't already know this but if you own a boat of any size then you are always going to be working on something. Why do i care if it's scraping the hull, cleaning the bilge or caulking a deck seam. Personally, i get more satisfaction from the latter.
I fully agree, if you are buying a boat with teak anywhere, it does create one more thing to investigate and also consider if it fits with your skills and interests but no one should walk away from a sale just by virtue of the fact that teak exists on the boat. It's comfortable on your feet on hot days, it maintains its non-slip properties when wet or dry and it looks great when reasonably maintained. I would never buy a sail boat because i am not interested in the expense and effort associated with all that rigging and the sails etc but i totally understand those who love that. Teak is the same – it’s not an anathema, just a choice and for many boaters like me, the right one.

??

Wow, has this thread gone unrealistic.

Comparing guys who love working on boats to ones who rather use them, wooden boat teak decks to thin, poorly laid teak ones over glass, not wanting something equating to not loving something, buying a boat and choosing to or not to put in a new teak deck that costs a lot in time and money because the previous owner didn't care for it properly, thinking people who dislike working on teak dont understand how to care for it.......

I love teak deck, but realistic comparisons even more.

Last edited:
Sorry to steal your thread.

This is my favorite thread as my teak flooring worries me the most. Survey is Wednesday, 1987 Ponderosa

Can you tell by photos alone how ones teak and decks are? Is there wood or fiberglass under mine?

I have no idea if "you" have the ability to zoom in on photos on this forum, (I don't on my cell phone). If yes, what do they look like?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200613-220607_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-220607_Gmail.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20200613-220505_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-220505_Gmail.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20200613-220310_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-220310_Gmail.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20200613-220218_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200613-220218_Gmail.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Hard to say from those pics, some close ups might help....probably best to start a new thread as it will probably run off in different directions with lots if questions back at ya.

30 year old 32 Island Gypsy teak decks still going strong,, I do keep up with the bungs and seams. Occasional wash down with a deck brush and oxyclean. All and all its not that much of a chore and the payback is great looking decks that are nice to walk on.

I have '91 Grand Banks 46 with teak decks. That's going on 30 years.

Natural grey with black caulked seems and teak bunged screws.

No leaks.

I've owned the boat since December 2016, and last summer repaired any bungs that were worn through and not fully covering the screw hole. About 50-60?

Removed bung and screw, drilled down a bit with countersink drill, installed new screw and bung with flexible caulk. I don't believe in installing bungs with epoxy or anything permanent-like.

I wash the decks with a solution of vinegar and water, using a very soft brush on a pole, or even just a mop. 1-3 times a season, depending on the weather and how they look. Cleans and preserves, and kills any mold etc. growth that may appear. Wash - not scrub.

The teak decks are an excellent non skid surface and look great.

Another one out of a 1000 teak decks that doesn't leak? I don't think so.

And... there are plenty of fiberglass boat decks that leak.

teak decks

I've been a member of this forum for a pretty long time. I've read scores of threads about teak decks and have endured all the comments about how all teak deck boats are bad, they all leak, they are a disaster.
It bothered me because I have teak decks, and I knew some day I would be selling my boat and most of you all have been telling potential buyers to stay away from teak.

Anyway, yesterday was the survey. The surveyor tapped darn near every inch of the teak decks. He used a moisture meter after that. Including the flybridge deck.
100% solid and dry. And he was amazed that there were no plugs missing! :thumb:

I rest my case.

Congratulations! I think everyone agrees that well maintained teak decks are a beautiful addition to any yacht. For the amount of work that is required to maintain them (or the cost if you have it done) and the issues that "most" teak decks have, they just aren't for me. One of several criteria I had when searching for my boat was that it had to have had the teak decks already properly removed before I'd even look. That's just me, my lifestyle and how I want to spend my time on my boat.
For the people that say it's only 3 to 4 hrs per year to maintain, I say "if you say so". My prior experience differs from that.
The fact is, that for every 1 teak decked boat that has no problems there are countless others that suffer the tortures of the damned in dealing with them.
They can be beautiful, no argument, but my advice to first time buyers is still "avoid teak decks". Just my opinion, and you know what they say about those.
But that's what a forum is for.

Teak Decks

Count me in the same camp; loved our teak decks; wash 'em with clean salt water and a soft brush, let them turn silver. I don't know how long ours had been on the boat, but I know it was at least 20 years from pics from various PO's. It's the only Hatteras I have ever seen with them, though an old hand who worked at Hatteras for many years says that it was an option. I never did much to them in my 7 years of ownership until it came time to sell the boat so I had them all spiffed up. Just as with J Leonard, they passed a very picky surveyor, both the teak and the cored deck below it.

aof_U4_SgFLpKiO2qkrH8dcGBUG3EY6nbv-u5dpKiJT5K8xFbVWweRUYp1mXRrDBVSXlJasw0NZJ51kYQbybJmm41SFAZ4EeHlo44AWf7nc7Pe8UqEQgpMRCYiLUeQVNMBSLLHMVKAkiyrmeY2Tu6_v-VQxsymX4KpRKxMtcpXSSKrMWVXJseufc8Yvu7eMb1bBK9A8cFLa_RNtU7lWzwC3m66iAhrdom4qaES1SnKOw38EDEmaM1Bbss2NTJfg4Y0oH6ErkUiPxjj2a45LzCJ4DzjQ3D3fNOyyZJ_jShmOQoTF7MHDZDnlDm453JCJw578wKP5Uewqx4nlaisnXg9LNu_KPFsxkhRFwBELtFTlNsaFEtd37af7fLBrA_vJw0Kzn_D1xDChQCEnqSVOxO-c08gpTACj0FsxbNCJsbgCq6j6XhyKJsGwCAd07a-TeKArJDugvYayJdl35wspeLdZ80dD8PfsIuoDL1q5Fcr1ZXcthx_tzINtSVyqMiQx7OWWYvNFBA4XpBOJtVAhJ_o20_Cj9g7dZk1xn9KrEofJb46YvAR1BN4FQoH1rJI11gDwpfcw0lX_GoZ7rs4xi8ZYpF7ROUtfNtDWTTIlVqqjFJ4g_kykk89p-3hG-2jDPj1k-Trd8LkEucU4kWxq2rtZE-VO__PHbxul2en5ky_gjmwqTc7JzWRZJ9vqG=w1304-h872-no

The Navy sure didn't seem to think they were such a bad idea.

EK_4h5J_PF0aYIuinwqd4fM403lBVVjO0p3m0LzIN2YJEDD09h78_4EndsSQh7KcaLV_t4-HoTKnEa2PZGvZzys_fs7tp1hljnd4P5e1pGVSP0aZrCr2QrwZngZplX26tYReGSeTy_dgVacnT6Xy3fUKv2lwAmhcVxW4wXQYpXfhbK90KsP8guFWC2fT2Zmyg-P2ItUhubu3CfqSYXBzjIaSwX3O2XNB3RVaW87Hf4oGsX5w1ddPgdIZy2Ik19j5fk8WAIE6LPBnXU0ABKTXG9HWBIt8gDISehQBD84mHJNRX5t4Sn7SLLr3ZY23Ebc-30Aj4Av7GPdKBup8CEXBvFiBHdncuRPJsogtNjIvhNrLHLn3xjZZzF5aHxU2_90-1as4Zd7B18zUsnBKChOgpUmD86fqNCrEdI67R9TXbtCKszUP0bh71OvhmJ1MkOH-0Xb9caI0-5JKU8ZVK-rFFgxFcWHAA1TMSVishZxvusEzvadgnftzU63mmjW1FQ_85LuoGJ41EhlEeZAUv5QJpGUC3dSaIsiMvb0KNvYX_AQRLIDtzj41gXTcJGq0BCtvE3kl6aexYZWDeudBWRV6rwvlOuaGzqKiaRVnUMMSiBQIHbWu2B6toAPBDMk8vqs5u6GwYH94hrJh6oH3YkzMo7O0_2BmIPMuO--q1Y0azLAdwLG9YxeuRmIDbK1y=w1000-h750-no

I assume that's the North Carolina. Beautiful ship. If I had 2000 sailors to maintain my teak decks, I'd have them as well.

And several inches thick plus the budget to keep them up.

This is my favorite thread as my teak flooring worries me the most. Survey is Wednesday, 1987 Ponderosa

Can you tell by photos alone how ones teak and decks are? Is there wood or fiberglass under mine?

I have no idea if "you" have the ability to zoom in on photos on this forum, (I don't on my cell phone). If yes, what do they look like?

One of the clues to deck health is water. If after a rain, there are parts of your teak deck that stay dark (wet) longer than the rest of the deck, there is water that continues to keep that part wet. That moisture is wicking up, rather than down, but there is some down that should be corrected.
If your deck dries right up, chances are very good that it is problem free.

'lo All! Our Albin 43 trawler (now deceased due to Hurricane Michael) had teak decks that never leaked. While installing a security system, I had to get under the teak decks in several areas to attach the pressure sensors. I found the construction of the decks to be unique to all other boats I have worked on. The molds were made with transverse (to the direction of teak decking) teak strips molded in. The teak strips were cut into a trapezoidal shape and installed with the short side next to the fiberglass, then glassed in, tucking fiberglass under the edges of the teak strips. The teak deck screws were only screwed into the transverse strips, hence, no leaks, as the fiberglass decks were not penetrated by the screws. The transverse strip locations were apparent by looking at the line of screw bungs every 18" or so (as I recall).

That was a picture of the Wisconsin in Norfolk actually. Though I have to say the North Carolina is by far the best battleship to visit after having been to many, it filled in all the blanks. I sincerely doubt ( OK, I know) the Navy put those on there for pure luxury or to give sailors fighting a nasty war "something to do".

My opinion is that many on here are discussing old Taiwan Trawlers of often questionable original build and material quality, and often questionable prior owners. Sometimes people can only buy an inexpensive boat, and that same budget may give basic maintenance short shrift. I've certainly seen a bunch of those first hand in our travels, and you can throw a bunch of old inexpensive sailboats while you're at it.

So casting aspersions, or praise, alike on teak decks in general is a flawed proposition.

The concept of teak decks is fine, but there are many out there that weren't installed well and if not given adequate attention, problems ensued.

Teak decks are lovely, but instead of placing teak on my steel boat's decks, chose to use the money for a loud and lovely-sounding air horn. Besides, not fond of making access difficult to structural members.

They look better than I`d expect for age. The most likely "real deck" underneath is wood of some kind, teak block offcuts, or ply, or...with a layer of fiberglass top and bottom, thus the term "sandwich".
You should be able to get a look at what`s underneath side on. Like at a hatch. A surveyor will work it out, especially if asked to determine it.

Teak decks on naval vessels was not for cosmetics or to make work for the sailors. Teak on old naval vessels was for insulation when operating in tropical areas.

There have been occasions when they riped it off the decks and through it in the sea to fit a given curcumstance.

Teak decks on naval vessels was not for cosmetics or to make work for the sailors. Teak on old naval vessels was for insulation when operating in tropical areas.

There have been occasions when they riped it off the decks and through it in the sea to fit a given curcumstance.

In addition to insulation, the teak on the decks of US Navy heavy cruisers and battleships served to mitigate the effects of shrapnel bouncing around and injuring topside personnel by capturing the flying bits as they stuck into the wood.

This thread is well worn already but...
I appreciate my teak fest on Klee Wyck and feel it is appropriate for the 'girl boat'.
Now there is none of that on the 'boy boat' (Libra) and that seems fitting too and works for me.
(plus, I just wanted to throw in a picture of the manly deck gear and substantial ship's bell on Libra.)

And, since someone will ask, this deck is not slippery when wet but is when frosted or snow covered. And yes, I bet it would be too hot for feet in Florida but it was built in the Netherlands and lives in the PNW where hot is not a problem.

Attachments

• Boy Boat Deck Gear.jpg
    Boy Boat Deck Gear.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 28
This thread is well worn already but...
I appreciate my teak fest on Klee Wyck and feel it is appropriate for the 'girl boat'.
Now there is none of that on the 'boy boat' (Libra) and that seems fitting too and works for me.
(plus, I just wanted to throw in a picture of the manly deck gear and substantial ship's bell on Libra.)

And, since someone will ask, this deck is not slippery when wet but is when frosted or snow covered. And yes, I bet it would be too hot for feet in Florida but it was built in the Netherlands and lives in the PNW where hot is not a problem.

By the power vested in me by the state of Pennsyltucky, I declare that you shall always feel free to post pictures of your cool boats, wherever you damn well please. You may now kiss the capstan.

By the power vested in me by the state of Pennsyltucky, I declare that you shall always feel free to post pictures of your cool boats, wherever you damn well please. You may now kiss the capstan.

*snurt*

Well, you will never hear me say that a well maintained teak deck isn't beautiful, because they are.

And, that's all I have to say. :D

Thank You. :)

Attachments

• 3CB1DEDB-6A26-46BA-A6F2-9B9431881046.jpg
    3CB1DEDB-6A26-46BA-A6F2-9B9431881046.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 20
Why would anyone want to stain or oil these decks? :confused:

Attachments

• Teak Cockpit deck.jpg
    Teak Cockpit deck.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 21
Back