TOSHIBA Countertop Combination Microwave Oven, Air Fryer Combo, Convection Oven, Broil, ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portager

Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
Nimble Wanderer
I've been thinking a combination microwave convection oven might solve the lack of an oven on board, but I found the reviews uninspiring. However, the reviews on the Toshiba microwave, air fryer, convection oven, broiler, and defroster, with toast and yogurt-making functions, seemed too good to pass up (and maybe too good to be true). After making careful measurements, I opted to do a 30-day Amazon test drive. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C1MZ8FWB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

First, I tested at home to ensure it was worth taking to the boat.
The microwave works as expected for a 1,000-watt model. It is also the quietest microwave I've ever seen. The controls are unconventional but only take a minute to master.
I used the broiler to do a couple of stakes and was impressed. With a bit of experience, I think it could produce great results. It would be a good alternative in foul weather. I even think it could replace the Magma propane grill (which I don't have a good storage space for).
The air fryer is very impressive. It performs at least as well as my Ninja air fryer at home. The only negative is that the pan is smaller than my home air fryer, but as a positive, it is much easier to clean.
The defroster is amazing. I skeptically read the marketing description, but the performance matched their claims and exceeded my expectations.
I haven't gotten a chance to test the convection oven yet, but since the broiler works well, I believe it will, too. I'll update this post after I do more testing.
The toast function isn't documented anywhere that I could find. I think using the convection-broiler mode would work, but I'll have to experiment with cooking time. Based on how well it broiled steaks, it will toast pretty quickly.
I don't know how the yogurt-making function works, and I don't expect to use it.

The onboard testing has been limited because I'm still remodeling the interior, but I put it in place for fit checks and ran it off my 3KW pure-sine Inverter. The microwave and convection broiler worked flawlessly on the inverter. I don't have a generator, so I can only run it from shore power or the inverter. I'll make some power draw measurements soon. The only issue I saw was that when the microwave is in standby mode, the power draw is so low (<5W), that the Inverter goes into "Search" mode (stops providing AC power), causing the microwave to shut down (unless another AC load >5W is on). Then, the Inverter detects the microwave trying to restart and resumes providing AC power, and the microwave restarts with a beep. Then, the cycle repeats. I should note that my old microwave did the same thing. In the past, I would turn the AC outlet breaker off, but in the future, I'm going to plug the microwave in through a high-current switch, and I'll turn it on when I'm using the microwave and switch it off afterward. This prevents the annoying beeping but defeats the clock function.

I'll be keeping the Toshiba microwave and getting it permanently installed.

Greetings,
Mr. p. Unfamiliar with the unit but if it does all that to your satisfaction, it belongs on board IMO. Now about the yogurt....

1721783158440.jpeg

My wife likes microwave/convection ovens. We do have a propane oven but she says convection is better for pastry/cakes . Everything else goes in the gas oven.

She wanted the Breville convection/microwave/airfryer. I installed one and she does a tremendous amount of cooking with it.

I can’t see why the unit you have chosen can’t replace a standard oven. The broiler function is going to require a shorter cleaning cycle but you will have one less appliance to clean than me.

My wife likes microwave/convection ovens. We do have a propane oven but she says convection is better for pastry/cakes . Everything else goes in the gas oven.

She wanted the Breville convection/microwave/airfryer. I installed one and she does a tremendous amount of cooking with it.

I can’t see why the unit you have chosen can’t replace a standard oven. The broiler function is going to require a shorter cleaning cycle but you will have one less appliance to clean than me.
I should have mentioned the clean-up is relatively easy. The inside is all stainless steel, and most of the mess is confined to the glass platter.

I have a cuisinart convection/microwave. When we use the convection function the exterior of it gets really hot. Like burn your hands hot. It’s semi built-in, and it gets so hot that it will shut down. As a result, we only use the microwave function.
I’d love to replace it with one we could use the broil function. Does this unit get hot on the exterior too?

I have a cuisinart convection/microwave. When we use the convection function the exterior of it gets really hot. Like burn your hands hot. It’s semi built-in, and it gets so hot that it will shut down. As a result, we only use the microwave function.
I’d love to replace it with one we could use the broil function. Does this unit get hot on the exterior too?
The exterior of the Toshiba got "hot" when I used the convection/broil function for 15 minutes. It was too hot to hold your hand on it for > a few seconds but not hot enough to cause an immediate burn. It never did a thermal shutdown. I'll measure the temperature with my infrared thermometer (maybe next week). FYI, the mounting guidelines in the owner's manual are 3 inches on top and each side and 1 inch in the back (Amazon incorrectly says 3 inches in the back, which I can't meet).

The Breville had similar requirements. I mounted it in a cabinet with required clearance. I then mounted a computer fan with a temperature sensor to circulate air in the cabinet. This has worked well.

Thanks for the real world review! I've been thinking about getting something just like this and now I know it will be exactly like this ☺️

I had the same experience with a microwave/convection oven in a cabinet in our previous boat. It got frighteningly hot so we only used the microwave function. An air fryer belts out even more heat. The Toshiba multifunction machine sounds awesome and I'd love to have one but I don't have counterspace with enough clearance around it to handle the heat it would throw off in some of its functions. And then there's the problem of generating heat inside on an already hot summer day,

We have a Sharp "Grill 2 Convection" microwave/convection oven combo. It works great for us and the exterior does not get hot to the touch. We took out our old Princess and installed a glass cooktop.

For the heat issue, there are a handful of microwave / convection oven combos intended for built in mounting. Many are not though and are likely to have heat issues in a confined space.

We put a microwave/convection oven in a previous boat. I was concerned about the heat so I put a 110 volt bilge blower in to suck out the hot air in the cabinet. To turn the blower on I used a load sensing switch. You plug the microwave into the switch and when the microwave turns on the blower comes on. I ran a duct to the air intake in the hull side to send the hot out of the boat. This isn’t the switch I used but it is similar. Found it on Amazon.

Automatic Vacuum Switch Allow Power Tool/Table Saw to Turn Vac Cleaner/Accessory On and Off Automatically, Load Sensing, On Delay Prevent Circuit Overload, Shop Dust Collector Off Delay​

The 37 year old Galley Maid electric range oven aboard Jackaroo has given up the ghost and I have been looking at replacement alternatives which might suit real cooking better than replacement marine units. This review was helpful, thanks.

I've also been looking at the Anova Precision counter-top Combi Oven.
Combi ovens are convection/steam units found commonly in commercial and high-end gourmet kitchens. I love to cook and am pretty picky about it, so this immediately appealed to me. But I haven't yet seen one in action on a boat.

For the cooktop, I'm thinking about going to an induction plate. We need to stay electric, since I don't really have the infrastructure for propane cooking on board beyond the Magma grill. Any recommendations on those?

or the cooktop, I'm thinking about going to an induction plate. We need to stay electric, since I don't really have the infrastructure for propane cooking on board beyond the Magma grill. Any recommendations on those?

Kenyon, maybe? (No experience with their induction cooktops.)

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom