Training tutor needed 23704

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
Hi, I need a seasoned tutor who is available near Portsmouth, VA in the coming weeks to provide me some basic training to drive a 40' Marine Trader sundeck. Please PM me your contact.

I want to add this is not for insurance requirement, so the tutor does not need to be a USCG licensed captain.

Is yours single or twin screw? We have a single engine 40' TT that I'll be bringing back home from the boatyard in a week or 2 and I'd be happy to have you tag along and show you some of the quirks of docking, handling, etc if you want. I would involve about an hour between the boatyard & our dock. We're up the bay from Portsmouth 1 1/2-2 hours by car so I don't know if it would work out for you. Just a thought.
Depending on the sea conditions, you might be able to pick up a few obscenities you've never heard before... they sometimes come in handy, especially when single handling a single screw boat!

Thanks for your reply.
I live over 300 miles from Portsmouth, so it works best to line up a 2 to 3 day training schedule ahead of time.

You may want to consider one of the trawler charter companies. I understand they routinely do a day or two of training to qualify a novice renter prior to charter. You might be able to develop an instruction-only curriculum.

I know it would be expensive, but your instructor should be very experienced in teaching - not many boat drivers are. And they would have a methodology to introduce concepts and build upon them in a digestible manner. Much better than finding a guy with a boat who, despite being well intentioned and capable, may not be very good at figuring out how to get their experience into your brain.

Best success in whatever you decide.

Peter

I use Captain Alan Alexander for training on our Selene 53 in Norfolk. Used him for our delivery from Stuart, FL. Great trip and learned a lot. He's been awesome to deal with. He also keeps an eye on the boat, since we are not local. And he used to operate fishing charters out of Gloucester, so we usually catch a fair amount of fish when we're out. [emoji4]

https://www.facebook.com/ChesYachtSvcs?mibextid=ZbWKwL

MVWeebles makes a great statement above.
Knowledge is one part of the equation, being able to pass it into your brain is the other. It is too bad you are in VA. I almost have the exact same boat in my 41' President sundeck with twin FL120's. I perform a lot of training through my career as a Welding Engineer.
I am in southern Connecticut.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom