Transmission oil sample

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teriann

I’m looking to purchase an ‘08 trawler. It has twin Yanmar 6LPA-STP 315 hp engines. Oil samples from both motors, and starboard transmission came back normal. The oil for the port transmission came back abnormal with iron at 104 ppm. Owner states that when the oil is changed the port oil comes out darker than starboard. I’m thinking that if the oil is darker that it’s probably clutches starting to slip and will need a rebuild. How concerned should I be going forward with the purchase? The boat performed great during the seatrial, with no transmission symptoms.

This might not be your favored response but with my 33 year old boat, something is always going bad. Fixing stuff is just an ongoing adventure. If you love that boat, figure a transmission rebuild into the offer price and go for it. Perfection is so hard to find because things are constantly deteriorating. 2008 should be good but you can buy a 2020 and be facing many items needing to be fixed. Good boat hunting and good luck with your decision.

I’m looking to purchase an ‘08 trawler. It has twin Yanmar 6LPA-STP 315 hp engines. Oil samples from both motors, and starboard transmission came back normal. The oil for the port transmission came back abnormal with iron at 104 ppm. Owner states that when the oil is changed the port oil comes out darker than starboard. I’m thinking that if the oil is darker that it’s probably clutches starting to slip and will need a rebuild. How concerned should I be going forward with the purchase? The boat performed great during the seatrial, with no transmission symptoms.
Before you rely on thinking it’s just a transmission problem, get a full engine survey by a well respected diesel mechanic. Not one the dealer recommends. We had to walk away from a Grand Banks 42 that had a slight issue in the oils sample but no obvious signs during the sea trial. The separate engine survey from the hull survey turned up a bigger total rebuild problem that would have cost over $25,000. Owner was unwilling to repair or negotiate. Later when he realized he wasn’t going to sell the boat “as is”, he did do the rebuild. Too late for us.

Back
Top Bottom