Transmission pressure gauge / Twin Disc MG5011SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wdeertz

Vessel Name
Bagus
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 52-01
I have a Twin Disc MG5011SC transmission and am trying to add an oil pressure gauge. The manual says that the transmission is outfitted from the factory with a pressure gauge port (no diagram in the manual) but I've looked everywhere and am unable to find a suitable port to install the pressure sensor. The sensor has a 1/8" NPT thread. I've looked at the Twin Disc website and searched exhaustively and am out of solutions. If anyone know of a suitable port to plug an oil sensor on this transmission please let me know.

A bit more pain, but I'm thinking I'll need to tee off of the fluid line going to the heat exchanger. As best I can measure I think the fittings coming off these hoses are 3/4". I'm trying to search for a M 3/4" x F 3/4 x 1/8" NPT F tee but not sure if this is available. Anyone with experience with the appropriate fittings I'd appreciate whatever guidance you can provide. I've attached photos of the heat exchanger and back of the transmission.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 76
Try giving Lauderdale Speedometer and Compass call. 954-522-4885. They know boat gauges. Or how about Twin Disc themselves? I'd recommend a mechanical gauge if possible.

Put a tee fitting into the cooler lines, where ever it fits best. Put sender there.

Why bother?

Do you really want another gauge on your dash, or two?

pete

Why bother?

Do you really want another gauge on your dash, or two?

pete

Thanks really helpful. By that logic why have any gauges? Just shut her down when smoke billows out of the engine room.

Put a tee fitting into the cooler lines, where ever it fits best. Put sender there.

Thanks, my thought but trying to locate the hardware.

I'd suggest giving TD a call. They have drawings of the various transmissions that show all the ports. Not all appear to be on line. I've got them for my MG5114DC, and I expect they are available for your 5011.

I'd appreciate whatever guidance you can provide. .
I can't advise as to where you connect a gauge but I can sure agree with your wanting it! Mine is right next to the volt gauge.
One for each engine.

Attachments

• xmission.jpg
    xmission.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 50
  • tranny pressure 2.jpg
    tranny pressure 2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
U'mm? Isn't that the port they say is there? Front and centre in your second picture. The Allen head socket plug.

twin disc drawing.

Here's a drawing. Pressure gauge is shown center picture top read writing to the south east.

Attachments

• Twin disc 1025674.pdf
    892.1 KB · Views: 98
Thanks for all the inputs. I was able to confirm with a local,twin disc dealer that this unit does not have a port on itself for a gauge and I will need to tee into the hose going to the heat exchanger. See attached photo.

Attachments

• doc01319320200611104717.pdf
    62.8 KB · Views: 76
When I repowered, I had gauges put on my TD 5050a gears, installed at the gear where there was 1/4" port with pipe threads. I told the shop doing the work that any brand of gauge was fine with me - I dont recall the brand I used. A couple years later during one of my hourly ER checks while traveling, I noticed oily liquid in the bilge, flowing down from a limber hole. The stbd gauge had failed and that gear had nearly bled out into the bilge. It was only blind luck that I caught it in time. I shut things down, removed the gauge and capped the port with a pipe plug. At our stop for the night, I removed the port-side gauge and plugged it as well. Moral of the story....get quality gauges, preferably the ones sold or recommended by TD. Ski might have a suggestion on what brand to get.

Ken, thanks and good advice. The gauge I am installing is analog but will be tied into my NMEA 2000 network so will set an alarm to notify if the pressure drops below a preset level.

We have Murphy switchgear gauges on our TD
Looks to be original, so 30+ years old.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom