Transmisson and Throttle cables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BuoyOBuoy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Wooly Bully
Vessel Make
Albin 33
This has become a big problem for me.
Last year before I launched my new to me 1979 Albin 30 but did not hook up the cables from the flybridge. Then I spent the summer doing numerous projects and was able to go on short runs from the lower helm. Everything worked swimmingly !
This year it was time to finally time to attach the cables to the flybridge controls. Pleased with myself after attaching them, I tried both levers. Stiff as a poker. Go to the lower helm and they have become frozen as well. Unhook the lower cables and then flybridge controls work fine. Unhook the upper cables and the lower work as before.
Had my buddy watch the connections move at the engine throttle and the transmission shifter so I know that the cables aren't seized.
They work fine independently. All four cables (two to throttle and two to transmission lever) are not coupled in any way.
This has become a head scratcher.
Has anyone had this problem or know where I might try to get an answer?

You may want to try the "series" connection where the short run goes to the engine/transmission and the other goes to the control and not the engine/transmission.

On my boat the saloon helm is the master and the fly bridge helm connects to the saloon helm.

Either one of your controls has been moved over center or there are two attachment points and you have hooked to the wrong point.

Not sure what you've got going on, but leaving a control cable disconnected for a year is not good practice. These cables like to be used, and when they get older can freeze up just by looking at them

:socool:

Also make sure the neutral detents are extremely light.
So light that you can barely feel them.
That might be hanging up your travel.

Thanks for the tips.
The previous owner had the flybridge removed for trucking but never marked the points where the cables were attached.
Now I'm thinking it will be "by gosh and by golly" to find which of the holes where the upper cable fits into the levers.
There does not appear to be any way to attach the upper cable to the bottom as they don't close in on each others path until the engine room.
Again, they work OK independently, so we know they are not seized.
It looks like there will be some experiments adjusting the flybridge cables to get the best fit.
Thanks again.

Look carefully at the flybridge controls and see if there is wear on a particular connection point. That would be my first choice. I would note the connection point that did not work.

Based on the symptoms described, the cables are OK when there is no load in them.

Note that the force to move an injector pump lever (or transmission shift lever) is almost nothing, but the force required for a cable to move (backdrive) a bridge control lever is substantial. The Morse cables slide easily when there is little load, but tend to bind up under heavier loads - perhaps this is the problem? Need to ensure that the hand controls are free to move easily and you may have to install new cables (new cables have less friction under load).

Possibly, there is a problem at the connection of the two cables at the injector pump lever (or transmission shift lever). Is it cocking (twisting) ? Are the cables nicely lined up at the injector pump lever (or transmission shift lever) ?

Interesting that the problem is the same for both throttle and gear - once again, this suggests that new cables may be the answer.

The hand controls may also have a choice of attachment holes for the Morse cable which give different amounts of cable travel. Choosing a hole further from the pivot would cause the cable travel to move the hand lever a smaller amount which would require less force in the cable.

Last edited:
I need to check my connection points. My upper and lowers are connected together, but coming into my slip last I had a hard time getting out of reverse from the upper. Lower seemed fine. I can easily move the lever on the transmission by hand with the cable disconnected at the transmission.

Right. I thought at first it might be that the cables were cocking (twisting) but they both are impossible to move when connected so they can't twist.
This weekend, I will first check to ensure that the cables are nicely lined up at both the levers at the pump and transmission.
Then I will adjust the locations on the upper levers.
It has to be one or the other right? It may be a simple fix if the cables were in a more accessible place.
Thank you again for your interest and advice. When I get it working I will let you know ! ?

it's also possible to bind the cable if you tighten the clamps too tight. my single station morse control will do that.

Hey ! Good to know. I will give that a try first as it very well might be the case.
Thanks.

it's also possible to bind the cable if you tighten the clamps too tight. my single station morse control will do that.

This is a really interesting point, thanks for mentioning! I just re-assembled my FB controls after a paint job, and things are a lot crustier-feeling than I remember from before. The control levers were completely rehab’d by Panish so I was expecting everything to be butter smooth and was disappointed with my results. I did notice their new-supply cable clamps looked “better” but different than my originals and I just cranked everything good and tight. Maybe too much of a good thing.

Yes, the clamps need to be snug enough to keep the cable from slipping, but not too tight so they cause friction.
I found that when my shift cable worked loose leaving the marina. I had just enough reverse shifts to get me outside. Then I had to bob around and figure out what happened. There was a small note in the Morse manual about the clamp tightness. We all have to guess what is tight enough as they don’t list a torque value.

Back
Top Bottom