Trawler shopping in Oregon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CruisOR

Hello! Just joined when I came across the Forum looking for more information on the Gulfstar MK 1 as we were considering purchasing one. Not sure if that's going to work out or not, so I'm here to learn and keep a lookout for the right deal on a good boat. My husband is the experienced one when it comes to boats, so pardon any flailing from me. We're in Oregon and hoping to harbor in Coos Bay.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. I like the Gulf Stars but keep in mind that if may be difficult to get insurance on older boats and some marinas may be reluctant to slip them. So check before you buy and make sure you are able to get those. Good luck!

Remember Canada. $1US = $1.36CAD

I had good luck with https://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/

They have lots of US boats and many Canadian boats were built in the US, so registering is easy.

Yep. We are definitely running into the insurance issue. Marina will slip it if we can insure it though.

Welcome aboard. I like the Gulf Stars but keep in mind that if may be difficult to get insurance on older boats and some marinas may be reluctant to slip them. So check before you buy and make sure you are able to get those. Good luck!

Any tips on which insurance companies to even try for quotes from?

I know Allstate won't insure anything over 35 years old. Hagerty will consider them.

Geico/BoatUS said no to the 1973 Gulfstar MK1

Progressive actually gave a quote but I've had bad experience with their auto division years ago, so I have avoided them since. (would consider if that's my only option, though)

Are there boat specific insurers I should be looking at?

Yeah, Boat US.

Member, maxed out the tow policy, oh by the way, try our insurance. Sorry, no deal.

I have Progressive, half mil, liability only. Boat too old for anything else.

Allstate insured our 1979 Bluewater up until we sold her this year. The new owners also insured with Allstate.

Tator

Work with a marine insurance brokerage. Lots of people on here recommend Peter at Novamar (I think I have that right) in Seattle, he’s a TF member. I’ve used Boat Insurance Agency in Seattle, and they’ve been very good.

Allstate insured our 1979 Bluewater up until we sold her this year. The new owners also insured with Allstate.

Tator

I re-verified with Allstate. They will not insure boats over 35 years old in Oregon. I have run into variations in vehicle coverage, etc. between states so perhaps that’s it? We have Allstate auto/homeowner/motorcycle/personal umbrella and Hagerty for vintage auto - we’re good, long term customers so it’s not that. Hagerty will consider it but the current condition might make them turn it down.

Work with a marine insurance brokerage. Lots of people on here recommend Peter at Novamar (I think I have that right) in Seattle, he’s a TF member. I’ve used Boat Insurance Agency in Seattle, and they’ve been very good.
D

Dumb question: Can a boat insurance broker in one state insure in another?

Our Allstate agent for the boat was in Alaska. We also have Allstate in Wa. for our personal property and a Kansas agent for rental property.
Tator

Our Allstate agent for the boat was in Alaska. We also have Allstate in Wa. for our personal property and a Kansas agent for rental property.
Tator

Thanks for clarifying... After multiple phone calls - it sounds like this is an Oregon thing. We've decided to pass on the GulfStar - too many hurdles with that particular sale. Progressive said if it wasn't insured before Jan 1st, 2024 then they wouldn't even be able to do a new liability only policy on it because it would be past their cut off. Hagerty wants a survey within 3 years plus detailed photos and a litany of of other things to even consider it for a quote. Current owners do not have a recent survey.

We will keep looking and use all the lessons learned from this experience to inform the next possible purchase process.

Insurance underwriters requiring a survey is typical. In fact many will require that the survey be done for you, not the seller. You'll want one anyway. You as well as the insurance company need to know the general state and condition of the boat and all it's systems.
Thanks for clarifying... After multiple phone calls - it sounds like this is an Oregon thing. We've decided to pass on the GulfStar - too many hurdles with that particular sale. Progressive said if it wasn't insured before Jan 1st, 2024 then they wouldn't even be able to do a new liability only policy on it because it would be past their cut off. Hagerty wants a survey within 3 years plus detailed photos and a litany of of other things to even consider it for a quote. Current owners do not have a recent survey.

We will keep looking and use all the lessons learned from this experience to inform the next possible purchase process.

insurance and surveys

I strongly anticipate a lot of pushback on my opinion of surveys but here goes. I know that insurance companies require it,,,in most cases...it makes them comfortable...Have you ever bought a house which also requires a inspection?? most are done by inexperienced people with little prqctiql knowledge. Their reports are a pile of cut and paste snippits designed to elevate them from any and all liability that they missed. I believe that the samesitultion exiwts within the marine industry.
Don't get me wrong, you need to know what you are buying but I think a person who is looking for a boat should himself be capable of recognizing deficiencies within the boat. Think about it, how hard is it to tap the whole boat down with a small hammer himself and to ue a meter that recognizes moistures within panels. Engine is another story but that two you can do yourself as you should have some knowledge. How hard is it to check your circuit breakers, adequacy of fire extintuishrs, number of pads, if you have propane do you have alarms in the tanks separate locker, etc, etc, There are books written on how to do it.
By doing it yourself you acquire a hugh amount of information that you can apply to emergency situations in the future. The payback will be continuous.

Back
Top Bottom