Trawler Stability - 2nd Opinion Wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aurelia-Lang

We completed a survey on a trawler we are looking at purchasing and our surveyor felt that the boat had a slow roll response during the sea trial and is thinking we should do a stability analysis. We have explored the stability analysis option, but we're running into many roadblocks. We felt comfortable with how the boat moved and we are thinking instead of doing the stability analysis, to have a captain who is very familiar with trawlers provide a 2nd opinion on the boats stability during another sea trial. We've realized that if the surveyor we used didn't have negative thoughts about this, then we'd be purchasing the boat right now. Does anyone happen to have any leads that could help us find this captain??? Hoping for the sea trial tomorrow (10/11) or Sunday (10/12) in Bellingham, WA.
Thanks!!!

What make you think some off the shelf captain has any better opinion than the surveyor?

A bunch of varied opinions may help, or a really highly rated captain or second surveyor...even better a naval architect ...but by tomorrow? Good luck.

A slow roll might be a couple of things...the worst is that the boat with a slow roll has a stability that isn't very good if there is any "hang time" when the boat is at the most heeled point. The boat.... even with a slow roll should reach it's maximum roll, but start back upright immediately.

What trawler?

My own view is that displacement trawlers roll a lot, but slowly and easily managed. Semidisplacement trawlers roll less at first but in heavier seas they sort of snap back and forth.

Beyond those two generalities, there are no bad trawlers or good trawlers in terms of rolling. Almost anll are semidisplacent hulls, btw.

David

Unless they were grossly modified by the previous owner(s)...then any stock trawler could be light years better or light years more dangerous.

A hanging roll is a well known telltale of stability in question.

What is a stability analysis? Why did the surveyor recommend one?

I'm with Psneeld (#4) - finding a "captain" to render an opinion is useless. I used to do buy-side boat purchase consulting and I have no idea what this means.

I realize many buyers approach forums like TF with caution about divulging the details but frankly without details on the boat, location, and intended use, answers are useless. Asking for a timeline of one or two days is insane. You're the buyer - in this market, buyers are harder to find than sellers. Don't be pushed around by a manufactured sense of urgency.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom