Trim tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypsymagic

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1996 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Any comments on the use or need of trim tabs on a GB 42C?

Trying to decide if I should remove mine as they have not worked since I bought the boat. I’m a single Cat 3208 375 hp and even at WO I can achieve not more the 12 knots.

On my 46 w/ twins, the tabs work just fine, but that doesn't mean they are effective. At WOT, trimming bow down may gain an additional 1/4 - 1/2 knot, but going from 3gph / side at normal cruise to 16+gph/side means they are almost always left in a neutral position (as normal cruise vs. WOT is all of about a 2 knot difference). I've absolutely considered removing them so I have one less system to have to maintain. IMHO, you don't need TT's on a semi-displacement boat like the GB (unless you have twin 475 beasts).

I have removed mine. Only rarely used them. They were hard for me to keep clean, guess I never got the primer right to keep the paint on. Only once reached 14 knots. Light on fuel, water, and stores, not the way I like it. Happy to cruise- 7 to 8 knots, no need to plane. At 14 the fuel use use beyond me and the noise level was not what I wanted. If someone wants a faster trawler this boat in not the one. Keel is long and deep and the hull is heavy. Probably the same with GB boats.

Back
Top Bottom