Tropics are getting Active

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OBXSkipper

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Adagio
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 32
Well here we go the Tropics are beginning to ramp up, have a system headed towards the Lesser Antilles right now. Does anyone have a fixed plan in place for The Season ? In other words this is what I do 5 days out then 3 days out that sort of thing. I live on The Outer Banks of NC and have seen many many Hurricanes, they start hauling large Charter Boats pretty early on around here, and by the time you think you need to get on the list it's already too late. Good Luck to all the coastal owners. Hurricane center had said it may be a slow season but as we all know it's always a bumpy ride for somebody . Do You have a plan ?

Preparing for a storm

Be sure your car with the blown transmission is insured. Then have it towed. To the beach.......

Well here we go the Tropics are beginning to ramp up, have a system headed towards the Lesser Antilles right now. Does anyone have a fixed plan in place for The Season ? In other words this is what I do 5 days out then 3 days out that sort of thing. I live on The Outer Banks of NC and have seen many many Hurricanes, they start hauling large Charter Boats pretty early on around here, and by the time you think you need to get on the list it's already too late. Good Luck to all the coastal owners. Hurricane center had said it may be a slow season but as we all know it's always a bumpy ride for somebody . Do You have a plan ?

Between my charter boat and the trawler, I've dodged a few in the OBX area. My rule of thumb was to seek a sheltered area, but not at the end of a waterway, river or sound. I've hidden in the back river behind Oriental, NC, above Elizabeth city, NC, and the Dismal Swamp canal.

Ted

In the Florida Keys I checked the water temperature 2 days ago it was 92°

In the Florida Keys I checked the water temperature 2 days ago it was 92°

To experience an adrenaline rush, take a look at the NOAA's Sea Surface Temperature (SST) imagery for the Atlantic, Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico:

https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/contour/usatlant.cf.gif

The map image is updated daily. The version I just viewed is for June 18, less than three weeks into hurricane season. It's bright orange (indicating 28 degrees Celsius or warmer) nearly everywhere south of 30 degrees latitude. To a tropical cyclone, SSTs warmer than 28 degrees Celsius (82.4 degrees Fahrenheit) are like a pool of gasoline waiting to have a flaming match dropped in it. Right now, that describes nearly the entire Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico.

It takes more than warm water to grow a hurricane, but the fuel is there in quantity.

We are watching thew sea surface temperatures in the Sea of Cortez as well.

Right now we are at 28C, but once we get on the pacific side the temperature drops quickly.

We leave La Paz in a week or so bound for a summer in Ensenada.

There are alotta folks still left over in The Bahamas right now and there are very few real places to hide there, if ya leave the Bahamas too late it can be a very uncomfortable ride, if not dangerous ride back to the states, then what ?? We are fortunate to have so many hiding spots here in NC. One year I remember seeing what had to be 25 or more Sport Fishing boats in Elizabeth city. We usually experience soundside flooding where I am, I've had 4 ft of water in my back yard and I have seen all boats on the bottom or teetering at pilings and docks all in the same storm. 3 days out, when the circle is getting closer to us I set out all my storm lines and chafe gear and I either wait another day or go ahead and do the drill. This time I will raise my 22' Cuddy Cabin all the way up on the boatlift and secure it to the lift and secure the lift to the pilings. Sailboat and Trawler get secured parallel to the canal, never perpendicular to the wind and waterflow. After I'm secure I start helping neighbors and friends. I'm Lucky that my boats are in my backyard. I would be very leery of any Marina these days, way to many boats in Ft Myers and Naples weren't even secured by their owners...Go Figure

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom