Tug Yacht Project, Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blissboat

Guru
For those with an appetite for projects, how about a 1946 ex-U.S. Navy harbor tug? It's up for auction on the federal government's GSA website, with no reserve. (I have no affiliation). Located in the water at the USDOT facility in Benicia, CA. As of this morning, there are two bidders with the current high bid standing at $1361.00.

https://gsaauctions.gov/auctions/preview/291824

Specs: 100' by 28', with a draft of 9'7", and displacement of 260 long tons. The main engine is an MDG 26, produced by Enterprise Engine and Foundry Co. (I'm guessing parts for Volvo marine diesels might be easier to source)! The photos appear to show some kind of Detroit diesel as the generator engine.

The current bidders are likely planning to drag it off to scrap, but as a project boat, it would certainly keep someone off the streets and out of trouble for a while. Thankfully it's on the other coast, else I'd have to at least go look at it. Old tugs speak to me in my boat dreams.

Greetings,
Mr. B. I'm guessing just the sandblasting and painting alone would run north of $1/2 mil.!

Love those old boats and their beautifully crafted machinery. I've worked on quite a few antiques. The last antique I ran was Westward. A woodie built in 1924 with her original Atlas power plant. I barely survived an attempt to purchase Pelican. Her current owner beat me to the punch by half a day. Fortunate for me. A shipwright / friend said to me when I told him I was going to look at her to stay away, it would only destroy me.

Not only do you need the skills, tooling and place to do the work. You need to be extremely resourceful in finding parts or very likely having them made. I know of more than one owner who scours all sorts of markets for gear that fits. Running or not, mostly not. As a source of parts. Think of the warehouse that requires.

Love 'em but I'll leave the ownership to someone else. You need deep pockets even if you can do the majority of work.

Is that Enterprise a slow speed direct reversing engine?

Is that Enterprise a slow speed direct reversing engine?
Actually, it most likely is. They list it as a mdg26, but it’s more likely a dmg 26. The larger dmg 38 was also used in military tugs and was direct reversing.
Enterprise foundry information is online, and I think all the manuals have been uploaded.

I was going to buy it until I noticed the lead paint warning. Seriously I don't know why this would even sell for scrap. The permits to move it and then scrap it in CA might take years.

Back
Top Bottom