twin engine monk 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KPM

Does anybody have any info on a twin engine model 36 monk? I have never seen one, and am interested in the quality.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Can't help you specifically with your question but twins in a 36' boat will make for a cramped ER unless they happen to be 4 cylinders. MY opinion only .

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Can't help you specifically with your question but twins in a 36' boat will make for a cramped ER unless they happen to be 4 cylinders. MY opinion only .

It certainly can, but other factors have a big effect. If the fuel tanks are outboard of the engines then it's guaranteed to be cramped. If they're elsewhere in the boat and there's more space outboard of the engines then it may not be so bad.

Thank you. It does have 4 cyl Cummins. Haven’t gone to look at it yet, but interested. I appreciate your response.

With one exception, I would never want twins in a boat less than 40’ on deck length. The exception is the Mainship 34T which has an unusually wide hull- 14’, for its length.

Maybe said another way, I would never want twins in a boat with a beam less than 14’.

David

Last edited:
I had a boat with 13' beam, twin V8. Roomy engine room because the tanks were elsewhere, not outboard of the engines.
It certainly can, but other factors have a big effect. If the fuel tanks are outboard of the engines then it's guaranteed to be cramped. If they're elsewhere in the boat and there's more space outboard of the engines then it may not be so bad.

With one exception, I would never want twins in a boat less than 40’ on deck length. The exception is the Mainship 34T which has an unusually wide hull- 14’, for its length.

Maybe said another way, I would never want twins in a boat with a beam less than 14’.

David

In the single engine Monk 36 the fuel tanks ARE outboard of the engine, so I doubt they changed the tank position. It's a pretty good size engine room, so there is room for two 4 cylinders, but it will be tight.

I sure like having 24 inches of space all the way around the engine on my 37 ft by 13 Monk Trawler.

Monk 36

Does anybody have any info on a twin engine model 36 monk? I have never seen one, and am interested in the quality.

I own hull #75 which is a 1985 Monk 36 with twin Perkins 6-354 naturals. The fuel tanks are outboard. The space between the engines was originally occupied by 2 8d batteries and cases. That has been revamped - two G 31 starting batteries recessed between the stringers at the aft wall and 4 6 V in series/parallel outboard and forward of the starboard saddle tank. There is about 12” outboard at the narrowest point on the port engine, a hair more on starboard. Working on the outboard side is a challenge, I.e. to change the impeller on the port engine raw water pump with needle nose you have to access it from the aft end lying across the transmission and reaching forward. It makes the cost of an impeller puller neglible to be able to avoid that.

Genset is mounted at the forward engine space wall.

While the space is tight, it’s doable to maintain the engines well. Each has around 3800 hours and neither smoke except on cold start.

My understanding is that better speed was intended but the weight of the extra engine is a major obstacle. But, you don’t have to push anything to cruise at 7.5 to 8knt and I average around 2.25 nm/gal.( 1750rpm)

I believe there are one or two others with the same setup from that time period.
J

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom