Unicorn Boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Might sound crazy but a beautiful fresh water Hatteras 53 checks all those boxes with a large enclosed aft deck (if you get the right one) 3 full cabins with 3 full heads, a real galley with dinette. Separate dining on enclosed aft deck.

Slow down and she'll comfortably get 2MPG + with Detroit 8-71's with walk-in engine rooms. Simple engines you can get repaired anywhere. Dishwasher, washer and dryers were standard.

Not new, but you won't find a better built boat for the money they're going for now. Many are meticulously maintained and completely updated inside.

Plus you're driving a Classic.

We really like the layout of these boats and for what they sell for you could do a complete refit and still come out ahead on acquisition cost. What I’d have to figure out is how much of the refit cost you’d be lighting on fire vs the early year depreciation hit of a new boat. For example, if you put $750k into refitting a $250k Hatteras from the 1970s, what would the result be worth? Not anything close to the million you have in it I’d think. But if we bought a new North Pacific for $1.8mm, we’d probably be out $300k in depreciation the day we “drove it off the lot.”

Any thoughts on the math of refit vs new?

I have come to believe that huge fuel capacity is over rated unless you want to cross oceans.

Probably right if you have close and easy fuel docks
Here they are generally not

I buy fuel when it's cheap and fill her up.
I also buy it where it's easy to get a boat into or as we have done for the last few years, the boat comes to me.

There are very few fuel docks on the east coast of QLD that are easy access for a vessel our size, single screw, no thrusters, limited visibility and a crew of one.

From where we fill to the next fuel dock that I consider easy is 700nm
In Northern Australia it could be further again
In South East Asia quality and availability of fuel can be the issue - it can be 1000nm or more between reliable and easily accessible fuel sources there.

Although a limited quantity since no longer made, DeFevers might tick all your boxes, especially the tri-cabins or pilothouse Alaskans. They are offshore-longrange, well-equipped cruisers with spacious, bright saloon, 3 cabins, 2 full heads, lots of storage, comfortable U-shaped up galley, usually a dining settee with easy chairs or 2nd settee, walk-around decks with spacious cockpit and roomy bridge. Tour some when you can. Good luck with your search!

Another good suggestion. Definitely on my radar.

check out the 50' Fleming Pilothouse trawler on YachtWorld

Two sleeping cabins. My understanding is you have to go 55 which is closer to 60 LOA to get three. My wife also doesn’t like the Flemings, thinks they feel dark and cramped. I don’t really understand the price premium for them.

A Selene 54, which is actually 60 ft LOA, might check all of your boxes except for length. If you can find one.

Two sleeping cabins. My understanding is you have to go 55 which is closer to 60 LOA to get three. My wife also doesn’t like the Flemings, thinks they feel dark and cramped. I don’t really understand the price premium for them.

Dark and cramped? Seems like she doesn’t like separate pilot houses as they remove the pilot house windows from contributing to the feel of the salon. Not unique to Fleming. You can definitely get more interior volume than a Fleming for the same LOA, with trade offs like higher decks, boarding, looks, sea handling, maybe walk around decks. I can definitely see prioritizing other attributes depending on the situation.

Last edited:
Dark and cramped? Seems like she doesn’t like separate pilot houses as they remove the pilot house windows from contributing to the feel of the salon. Not unique to Fleming. You can definitely get more interior volume than a Fleming for the same LOA, with trade offs like higher decks, boarding, looks, sea handling, maybe walk around decks. I can definitely see prioritizing other attributes depending on the situation.

I think it’s a combination of the fully separated pilot house and the full walk around decks cramping the salon. Those are both salty features that I like, but am willing to compromise on to make her happy. She feels the same way about the Selenes.

We really like the layout of these boats and for what they sell for you could do a complete refit and still come out ahead on acquisition cost. What I’d have to figure out is how much of the refit cost you’d be lighting on fire vs the early year depreciation hit of a new boat. For example, if you put $750k into refitting a $250k Hatteras from the 1970s, what would the result be worth? Not anything close to the million you have in it I’d think. But if we bought a new North Pacific for $1.8mm, we’d probably be out $300k in depreciation the day we “drove it off the lot.”

Any thoughts on the math of refit vs new?

To some extent, the math has to account for which one gets you closer to your perfect boat. If it's the refit, it may be worth some extra "burned money" that you won't get back when selling. Of course, if you're keeping the boat for a while, it's hard to say just what any boat will be worth when you're done with it.

Face it. You are going to end up with a Euro boat with Ikea styling.

Figure out the biggest boat show over there, book tickets, and go sort out those brands. If you get lucky you might find something with straight shafts (not pods) that checks her boxes.

At the very least you will enjoy a trip to Europe.

Figure out the biggest boat show over there, book tickets, and go sort out those brands. If you get lucky you might find something with straight shafts (not pods) that checks her boxes.

Good point and I agree that is the style they are heading towards. Not my personal preference, but that's just my opinion.

Good point and I agree that is the style they are heading towards. Not my personal preference, but that's just my opinion.

A craftsman can glue up paneling pretty much wherever you desire.

You may wish to attend Boots, the largest boat show in the world. Düsseldorf. When I was over there it was January if I recall. All European styling. Little was America nor any trawlers

You will know it when you see it. 50' is a lot of boat. Maybe think smaller. I have a 43 Ocean Alexander tricabin. Very comfortable.

You will know it when you see it. 50' is a lot of boat. Maybe think smaller. I have a 43 Ocean Alexander tricabin. Very comfortable.

There is little reason for us to move from our totally dialed-in NT 37 to another boat with two sleeping cabins. Unfortunately ~50 ft seems to be the minimum length for that feature.

The Dutch boats seem to strike a nice balance with modern interior styling and quality craftsmanship. Linssen, Aquanaut, and Elling are all on the radar. We may look at a Linssen that is currently for sale in Athens when we are there for a Moorings charter in June. We saw a smaller model at Boats Afloat and were really impressed.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2000-linssen-grand-sturdy-500-ac-variotop-8530420/

The Dutch boats seem to strike a nice balance with modern interior styling and quality craftsmanship. Linssen, Aquanaut, and Elling are all on the radar. We may look at a Linssen that is currently for sale in Athens when we are there for a Moorings charter in June. We saw a smaller model at Boats Afloat and were really impressed.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2000-linssen-grand-sturdy-500-ac-variotop-8530420/

Viewpoints obviously differ, but that one aesthetically seems quite unattractive to my tastes. I could never get over that.

I am confused though thinking you wanted three staterooms.

Last edited:
Fountaine Pajot power cat. The 44 is huge. The 40 is just large. 3 or 4 cabins, can go fast or slow, 1k mi at 7 kts. Possibly more if you run only one engine at a time. Yes, cats do this all the time on passage.

Fountaine Pajot power cat. The 44 is huge. The 40 is just large. 3 or 4 cabins, can go fast or slow, 1k mi at 7 kts. Possibly more if you run only one engine at a time. Yes, cats do this all the time on passage.

We’ve enjoyed bareboating power cats, but they are even harder to find moorage for than a longer monohull.

I always found it challenging to find dock space for my 65 footer, at least in southern Cali. I think 50 feet would be a more reasonable length from what I’ve seen.

So would you say that finding “cat” space is even more difficult than the big 65’ mono?

I always found it challenging to find dock space for my 65 footer, at least in southern Cali. I think 50 feet would be a more reasonable length from what I’ve seen.

So would you say that finding “cat” space is even more difficult than the big 65’ mono?

Because of the width. You either need two slips or an end tie in any marina I’m familiar with.

We do like the Aspen “Cats” which are really proas and fit in a standard slip. The C120 technically checks all our boxes but is a little tighter inside than either of us would like. They supposedly have a size up in the works that might be an option for us if we don’t move on something else first.

https://aspenpowercatamarans.com/aspen-c120/

And here was us thinking we couldn't go any smaller
And would gladly go bigger.

IMO, the problem with cats is finding slip.

Why not just go with the Grand Banks 49?

I wasn’t aware they were available with three sleeping cabins but I see now that some are. Good suggestion, thanks!

GB46s tend to have 3 staterooms as does the GB42 Motoryacht model.

GB46s tend to have 3 staterooms as does the GB42 Motoryacht model.

So they do. Pity they don’t seem to have built either one for many years. Everything currently listed is 80s and 90s, mostly East Coast and high engine hours. But they go on the list.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom