Upper/Lower Helm panel operational question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Intrigue
Vessel Make
1985 Tung Hwa Senator
Need some input. I am rewiring and upgrading the lower and upper helm control panels currently. I noticed after removing the upper helm panel to take home that the 2 post key switch had been bypassed. Essentially the way its wired now is that the lower helm key needs to be in the on position for the upper helm to be operational. With the lower helm key switch in the on position the upper start/stop buttons work, the upper gauges work, the upper warning horn works. 1 key for lower helm is all that's needed. Start and stop can be accomplished from either helm as long as the lower key switch is in the on position. Upper key switch is just serving as a terminal post to bypass power.

The original wiring configuration has separate helm power switches and keys for the lower and upper helm. 2 different keys, one for upper one for lower. I also noticed the upper helm tach with hour meter had different hours than the lower helm. I am supposing that was due to either one or the other helm being powered.

I am not worried about the hour meter...I can wire that so either will start the counter. Any strong opinions for one configuration or the other? I really cant see a need for one over the other. I will say I almost always start the boat from the lower helm for the obvious checks for start. I am leaning towards having the lower key switch power up both upper and lower helm stations.

Opinions? Observations?

Some are wired so that you have to enable power from the lower helm to activate the start and stop on the flybridge. That way you don’t need keys up top but can lock the cabin and not be able to start the boat from the flybridge alone.

Thanks Dave. That exactly the kind on answer I was looking for that hadn't occurred to me. I'm sure there are a few others.

Any others?

My boat is setup to only start from the lower helm. Upper helm only has a stop button, I do plan to add a start button up top. But like you I would prefer to start from the lower helm so I can check gauges listen for any abnormalities, and do a visual check of the engine room.

I plan to rewire my upper helm and replace my non working gauges and have functioning bilge pump indicator lights and run/stop switches but only the key switch on the lower helm to power the start buttons.

Grand Banks set up as follows
No ignition key at all.
Turn on the power breaker on the panel at lower helm
Gauges upper and lower all turn on
Start and stop buttons at both lower and upper helm are operational
If you push stop button at upper helm to stop engine you must go to lower helm to turn off power as warning buzzers will continue to sound.

My Albin was set so only the lower helm had the key. It was never a problem except a little less convenient when we were doing all the locks in Canada. They require engines off in the locks, so I had to climb down from the bridge, grab my stern line (wife had the bow)) then go back to the lower helm and shut down.
Then reverse the process to leave the lock.
A keyed upper helm would have been more convenient.
But I didn’t change it.

Grand Banks set up as follows
No ignition key at all.
Turn on the power breaker on the panel at lower helm
Gauges upper and lower all turn on
Start and stop buttons at both lower and upper helm are operational
If you push stop button at upper helm to stop engine you must go to lower helm to turn off power as warning buzzers will continue to sound.

That's how it's set up on our GB Eastbay 47 also.

Though I do have separate breakers for the navigation gear for upper/lower. But the Caterpillar C12 engine displays come on at both stations with the engine breakers (that are only present on the lower helm).

I have a key only at the lower helm. Not a problem as that's where I always start. I've docked from the upper helm when I have crew, but not usually. I still tend to go down to turn off. If I use the upper stop button, the low oil buzzer goes until I get down and turn the key. Not a problem, but sounds like one.

I looked online for some type of an ignition key "security cover" like are available for toggle switches. Something that would flip down over the key after turning on so that it would remind my wife (and me) to push the stop button first before turning off the key. It used to be more of a problem, but now that cars tend to have push buttons to stop, it seems more natural to push a button to stop instead of turning a key. It's like with phones. When was the last time you picked up a phone and thought "Hey, there's no dial" on this thing?

All great feedback. Thanks a bunch for that.
1) Anti theft (need lower helm key)
2) PITA factor with the upper buzzer going off when shut down and having to go to lower helm to turn key off to stop buzzer
3) Seperate breaker for some upper and lower functions.

I think I will have a lower key only. But I will put a resettable 30 AMP breaker/switch on the "main power in" to the upper panel from the lower key switch. Disabling upper gauges, start/stop, buzzer when desired. This will allow me to shut down the buzzer when shutting down from the top. It will also isolate the upper panel should there be an electrical issue at the "secondary" upper helm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom