Vesper Cortex V1 VHF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amxr39

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Allegro
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38E Hull #61
I've been hearing mixed comments on the VHF, which is now owned by Garmin. Please comment on your experiences with this radio.
I'm considering installing a tethered and a wireless VI on my new boat.
Thank you.

Just installed ours. No issues. Handset display works well.
No actual cruising experience yet.

You may also consider:
An external speaker
A hailer.
Connection to your NMEA2000 network

FYI: tethered handset is wireless as well. Only gets it's power from the cord.

Good friend has had many issues with his Cortex VHF radio. Transmit button has gone bad twice and replaced with rebuilt units. He has also suffered multiple dropped wireless connections (on a 50' sloop). I would never rely on a wireless connection for a critical safety component. Hand set does not have the solid build feel of a typical ICOM. It does offer some very nice unique features, and I'd consider it as a back up radio, but not as my primary VHF. My boats have always had redundant VHF radios, one with a dedicated 12V battery placed high above water line. It's nice to monitor 2 radios without using the scan function and have a little piece of mind. Nice concept, but many early model teething problems.

We installed in 2023 Spring, and used it all summer, and on a recent trip this year. The majority of software issues seen on forums were resolved before we installed, and they are still improving it (had some updates this season when we prepped the boat). A few thought and things I like:

1. We have a handheld ICOM as backup, handy for Dinghy and 'just in case', but have never needed it, had no dropouts,.

2. Love the Anchor Drag feature built in. It's really good! I have two helms, but I installed the wired handset at the main helm and a second wireless in our Berth that I can carry up to the Fly if needed. Then I can monitor the anchor drag while in bed.

3. Also Love the auto squelch now - only problem is that I almost think the VHF is off it's so silent most of the time, but then crystal clear when a relevant call comes in.

4. We use the Cortex on the boat network, so it shares heading, speed, and AIS with my iPad, iPhone in Navionics and Aquamaps. I like that a lot. Our older chart plotters don;t share that over wifi...

5. Remote monitoring is available, but extra cost. If you wire up sensors (bilge pump) you can see if things are running etc, battery voltage - whatever. We haven't done that (we have a Victron system and use VRM) but it's something to consider investigating if it's interesting to you.

6. Another great feature is the ability to auto-record so you can playback a call on 16 if you didn't quite make it (no need to ask someone to repeat) and it can also scan and record multiple channels at once - so at it's simplest you can listen to 16 but also haver it watch 78 and record anything to the buffer so you can play that back. I believe it can scan all channels, but I've never done that.

7. I agree it doesn't feel as rugged as our previous Raymarine VHF, but the benefits for me outweigh that. I haven't had any damage, repairs etc yet, but it's also all under cover, or below decks. Dogs haven't chewed on it yet either, but no promises there.

I would get it again in a new boat if it didn't have it. I love the functionality, and I haven't even leveraged everything it can do yet. I would get it for the anchor watch alone imho.

cheers!

Chris

Really good summary. Did they add loudspeaker and intercomm features yet? They were on the 'to release in the future' list last I looked. The Cortex unique features are really an interesting standout. The color screen with MFD like display is very cool. My preference would still be to have a hard-wired radio like my ICOM M605 or M510 as my primary and count of the Cortex for its extensive features.

Back
Top Bottom