Waste Water Tank Size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I just looked at Florida on that link you provided..just as an example because that's where I live.... not really many places. I'm suprised. Seems like a treatment device would be nice to have in a boat then!
Does that also include inland waters where the anchorages are?

If by "inland waters" you're referring to rivers that feed into coastal waters, it does in some places, it doesn't in others. All "closed" inland lakes (completely intrastate, no access to ocean) are NDZs. And there are a few well meaning but misguided marinas (marinas are considered private property and can make their own rules as long as they don't violate US laws) who think they're doing the "right thing" by forbidding the use of treatment devices in the marina even though it's on treatment-legal waters.

I suppose I should put down my newly received copy of Voyaging Under Power & finish your book that I bought a few weeks ago!

Maybe not. My book is a reference guide that you prob'ly won't have much use for till you decide you're ready to voyage on water instead of on land. That's when you'll need to know the differences in marine sanitation systems and RV systems. And my offer to help you sort 'em out will always remain open.

--Peggie

The water use in a marine head will depend on the style of head and the diameter and length of pipe that needs to be cleared from head to holding tank.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/construction/pipe-volume

Steepness of vertical drop in the hose will matter as well. Steeper drop should require less water to clear, as it will self-drain to the tank better (so it just needs a rinse, rather than stuff displaced).

40 gallons gives me two weeks between pump outs for two people full time on the boat. I use vacuflush toilets. No grey water.
My OA also had a 40 gal holding tank & 150 gals of fresh water. The 2 vacuuflush toilets resulted in a 2 weeks to pumpout.

If I’ve replaced my toilet hoses with the new non-permeable type, is it necessary to clear the hose when flushing? Or can we just clear the bowl? That would cut down on the amount of water going into the tank.

Our main black water tank is 100 gallons, and takes about a week to fill when there are 6 or seven people on board. If just my wife and I are on board, we generally empty the holding tank every 2 weeks, when it is typically a bit over half full. If we wait 3 weeks, it will be pushing the red zone. Our experience is consistent with the assumptions that two adults flush 5 times per day each, and that each flush is 1/2 gallon.

Our grey water tank holds about 50 gallons, and has a float switch to automatically pump anytime new water is introduced. If we are anchored in a secluded cove, we will often turn the pump off, at least at slack tide. Without pumping, it takes 2-3 days for the two of us to fill the grey water tank. By the way, the kitchen, cockpit and flybridge sinks drain directly overboard, as does the washing machine.

If I’ve replaced my toilet hoses with the new non-permeable type, is it necessary to clear the hose when flushing? Or can we just clear the bowl? That would cut down on the amount of water going into the tank.

Flushing just long enough to clear the bowl is the best way I know of to create a blocked toilet discharge line. Even if gravity can get the flush the rest of the way to the tank, urine crystals along with bits of TP and solid waste will build up on the hose walls, gradually reducing its diameter. If the toilet uses sea water, sea water mineral buildup will reduce the diameter even faster. If holding tank capacity is the issue, at the very least flush run a full bowl of clean water all the way to the tank once a day, and always last thing before you leave the boat if you're not a live-aboard.

MYTraveler...Your sinks and washer drain directly overboard...that leaves only the shower and maybe a dishwasher. Why are you holding any gray water? It isn't required in any US coastal waters or navigable rivers.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Hi Peggie, I just want to say that I flush to clear the bowl only while on a cruise. At the end I give it a thorough flush. If my one inch 5 foot line shows sign of blockage I will replace it. Since installing the marine elegance and 1" line the holding tank last 2-3 times longer doing it this way. With the old 1 1/2 line I was always concerned that a bowl full could remain in the line between use and extra flushed.

So I just looked at Florida on that link you provided..just as an example because that's where I live.... not really many places. I'm suprised. Seems like a treatment device would be nice to have in a boat then!
Does that also include inland waters where the anchorages are?

If by "inland waters" you're referring to rivers that feed into coastal waters, it does in some places, it doesn't in others. All "closed" inland lakes (completely intrastate, no access to ocean) are NDZs. And there are a few well meaning but misguided marinas (marinas are considered private property and can make their own rules as long as they don't violate US laws) who think they're doing the "right thing" by forbidding the use of treatment devices in the marina even though it's on treatment-legal waters.

I suppose I should put down my newly received copy of Voyaging Under Power & finish your book that I bought a few weeks ago!

Maybe not. My book is a reference guide that you prob'ly won't have much use for till you decide you're ready to voyage on water instead of on land. That's when you'll need to know the differences in marine sanitation systems and RV systems. And my offer to help you sort 'em out will always remain open.

--Peggie

When I wrote inland waters... I was thinking places such as the ICW, rivers, channels, and bays near inlets where one might anchor, or just as an example that's close to my home, the anchorages and moorings around Saint Augustine FL where I see lots of cruisers coming through....

Our main black water tank is 100 gallons, and takes about a week to fill when there are 6 or seven people on board. If just my wife and I are on board, we generally empty the holding tank every 2 weeks, when it is typically a bit over half full. If we wait 3 weeks, it will be pushing the red zone. Our experience is consistent with the assumptions that two adults flush 5 times per day each, and that each flush is 1/2 gallon.

Our grey water tank holds about 50 gallons, and has a float switch to automatically pump anytime new water is introduced. If we are anchored in a secluded cove, we will often turn the pump off, at least at slack tide. Without pumping, it takes 2-3 days for the two of us to fill the grey water tank. By the way, the kitchen, cockpit and flybridge sinks drain directly overboard, as does the washing machine.

this "5x per day at 1/2 gallon" set me to thinking
based on the reports of tank sizes and length between pumpouts reported in this thread
and adjusting for 2 people when more were stated
and assuming two people when no headcount was stated
and realizing that most of these are presented as off the cuff crude ballpark estimations from memory
and doing this off the cuff from my recliner, so I might make some big errors....

I've got
70 gallons/7 to 10 days = say 10 gallons per day = 2.5 gallons per person per day
40 gal/14 days = 2.9 gallons/day = 1.4 gallons per person per day
65g/14 days = 4g/d = 2 gallons per person per day
35G/7 to 10 days = say 4 G/d = 2 gallons per person per day
75/7 = 10.7g/d = 5.4 gallons per person per day
40/7 = 5.7 G/day = 2.9 gallons per person per day
40/14 = 2.9 g/day = 1.5 gallons per person per day
33/7 = 4.7 g/day = 2.4 gallons per person per day

so 2-1/2 gallons per person per day is probably a pretty good rule of thumb number....
for two people, 35 gallon is a 'one week tank'

with a treatment device it comes down to how long might you want to anchor out our transit through these no discharge zones...but perhaps the 35ish gallon tank might be ok in my thinking except maybe for doing the great loop where you'd be in the great lakes for some time

but without such a treatment device, I'm thinking 70ish gallon might be a minimum tank if you don't want to hit a marina every week.

Keep in mind, unless you're planning on carrying jugs by dinghy or have a water maker, you'll need water at some point. Not usually a big deal to find somewhere that can take care of water and a pump out in one stop.

When I wrote inland waters... I was thinking places such as the ICW, rivers, channels, and bays near inlets where one might anchor, or just as an example that's close to my home, the anchorages and moorings around Saint Augustine FL where I see lots of cruisers coming through....

The discharge of TREATED waste is legal in most of those waters and the same types of waters everywhere...the operative word being MOST. An increasing number of rivers that feed waters like the Chesapeake Bay (which it may surprise you to learn is NOT an NDZ) are being designated NDZ, which just means you need to keep an eye on published moves to do it and the EPA list of new ones.

Reading yr post re needed tank size... With treatment device installed, you shouldn't need more than a 50 gal tank, if that big..

--Peggie

Last edited:
I agree that 50 gallons for a black water tank is too small. We have 45 and I would love to have twice that but there isn’t room.

Don't we all want bigger fresh and black water tanks?

The discharge of TREATED waste is legal in most of those waters and the same types of waters everywhere...the operative word being MOST. An increasing number of rivers that feed waters like the Chesapeake Bay (which it may surprise you to learn is NOT an NDZ) are being designated NDZ, which just means you need to keep an eye on published moves to do it and the EPA list of new ones.

Reading yr post re needed tank size... With treatment device installed, you shouldn't need more than a 50 gal tank, if that big..

--Peggie

I have seen almost no waters I've been in that are NOT a NDZ. How do you define "treated" waste. On a bit of a tangent, I live near the coast in New England and many coastal towns have storm drains that feed into the sewer systems owned by the town. In times of heavy rain storms, the systems get over-loaded and untreated sewage (could be in the millions of gallons) gets released into the ocean. Makes me shake my head that that's acceptable but that all boats must have holding tanks.

The standard Jabsco hand pump toilet, one crap/day, I dump #1 overboard to save capacity and reduce odors, and try to use minimal water. One gallon/person/day. +50-70% for females.

I have seen almost no waters I've been in that are NOT a NDZ. How do you define "treated" waste. On a bit of a tangent, I live near the coast in New England and many coastal towns have storm drains that feed into the sewer systems owned by the town. In times of heavy rain storms, the systems get over-loaded and untreated sewage (could be in the millions of gallons) gets released into the ocean. Makes me shake my head that that's acceptable but that all boats must have holding tanks.

When you know the town's sewer system is overloaded and dumping untreated sewage, go pump and flush your black water tank. If they can identify your poo from everyone else's then you are in trouble. I doubt if can tell.
Disclaimer: I did not type those last 3 sentences, nope, not me.

When you know the town's sewer system is overloaded and dumping untreated sewage, go pump and flush your black water tank. If they can identify your poo from everyone else's then you are in trouble. I doubt if can tell.
Disclaimer: I did not type those last 3 sentences, nope, not me.

LOL. It's not about wanting to empty my tank, it's more about the hypocrisy of the whole situation. One good storm probably puts more sewage into the water than a season's worth of boaters could if they they tried.

LOL. It's not about wanting to empty my tank, it's more about the hypocrisy of the whole situation. One good storm probably puts more sewage into the water than a season's worth of boaters could if they they tried.

Go talk to the farmers in the Chesapeake area. They are driven crazy by having to create and file fertilizer plans because that's supposed to Save The Bay. Meanwhile, a typical spill out of Baltimore dumps more into the Bay than all farms together in a year, and that's OK.

NO ONE values clean waters more than boaters and fishermen. It would just be nice if things were actually sensible.

go talk to the farmers in the chesapeake area. They are driven crazy by having to create and file fertilizer plans because that's supposed to save the bay. Meanwhile, a typical spill out of baltimore dumps more into the bay than all farms together in a year, and that's ok.

No one values clean waters more than boaters and fishermen. It would just be nice if things were actually sensible.

amen!

The pee gets dumped over the side, many put it down their head sink so as not to enrage others.

Technically not legal to dump the pee jug overboard, but most everyone with a composter probably does that. Most using them in RV's too. No worse than peeing over the side, just safer. Apparently that's legal as long as it doesn't go into a container first.

I have seen almost no waters I've been in that are NOT a NDZ.

That's because almost all waters north of the Chesapeake Bay are NDZs. However, with the exception of North Carolina, the discharge of treated waste from a USCG Certified device (ElectroScan, PuraSan Groco ThermoPure2 and a couple of others) is legal in at least 95% of coastal waters between LIS and the FL Keys, all the navigable interstate rivers you'd travel doing a great loop, and--with the exception of Richardson Bay, a small harbor off SF Bay--all the waters on the west coast between between Santa Barbara and Puget Sound.

You'll find the complete list of NDZs by state here EPA NDZ list by state

--Peggie

Technically not legal to dump the pee jug overboard, but most everyone with a composter probably does that. Most using them in RV's too. No worse than peeing over the side, just safer. Apparently that's legal as long as it doesn't go into a container first.

Much like swimmers at the beach. Makes no sense. Much like a story I heard a few years ago where a man was caught peeing into a reservoir and they drained the reservoir. Never mind all the animals that poop and pee in it every day and the dead animals rotting in it.

I"ve always considered it the ultimate irony that the very DAY Rhode Island's statewide NDZ went into effect, a massive sewage treatment plant spill Providence closed all the shellfish beds and beaches at that end of Narragansett Bay for a week!

There are a few placed where NDZ makes sense...but 90% of 'em, while represented by the enviro-zealots as "necessary to save the planet" are actually nothing but power grabs to control people's lives.

--Peggie

Same problem in Atlanta. Cheaper for the city to pay the federal fine than to fix the problem. Hey, another example of 'the tax payers will pay. Just raise their taxes.'

Much like swimmers at the beach. Makes no sense. Much like a story I heard a few years ago where a man was caught peeing into a reservoir and they drained the reservoir. Never mind all the animals that poop and pee in it every day and the dead animals rotting in it.

Some years ago along the Chesapeake, some poor farmer was in a world of trouble. Some waterway adjacent to his farm was tested to find there was a high level of nitrogen, and of course he was to blame from his fertilizer. The legal issues escalated until further testing showed the source was not his farm, but in fact it was from the wild geese that favored that spot. And that was OK of course.

Some years ago along the Chesapeake, some poor farmer was in a world of trouble. Some waterway adjacent to his farm was tested to find there was a high level of nitrogen, and of course he was to blame from his fertilizer. The legal issues escalated until further testing showed the source was not his farm, but in fact it was from the wild geese that favored that spot. And that was OK of course.

Along the same lines, there is no concern about everybody fertilizing their nice green lawns. Much of that nitrogen ends up in storm drains that makes its way to the rivers and oceans causing algae blooms and low oxygen levels in the water killing other sea life. But god forbid a boater adds 8oz of pee to the water.

Along the same lines, there is no concern about everybody fertilizing their nice green lawns. Much of that nitrogen ends up in storm drains that makes its way to the rivers and oceans causing algae blooms and low oxygen levels in the water killing other sea life. But god forbid a boater adds 8oz of pee to the water.

Interestingly, NY does have some restrictions on fertilizing lawns. Not on nitrogen, I think, but unless you're seeding a new lawn, you can't use a fertilizer with phosphorus.

Interestingly, NY does have some restrictions on fertilizing lawns. Not on nitrogen, I think, but unless you're seeding a new lawn, you can't use a fertilizer with phosphorus.

Thanks. I live in CT and not aware of any restrictions on fertilizer. Normal lawn fertilizer is high in nitrogen. It's a pretty serious problem in Long Island Sound.

Thanks. I live in CT and not aware of any restrictions on fertilizer. Normal lawn fertilizer is high in nitrogen. It's a pretty serious problem in Long Island Sound.

Golf courses are the greatest offenders when it comes to fertilizing.

Live in NY and never heard that.
Restricted in laundry detergent but not fertilizer AFAIK

Back
Top Bottom