Water Purification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmreim

Vessel Name
Boundless
Vessel Make
2013 North Pacific 43'
Tired of constantly trying to keep our water smell-free, especially in the heat of the summer or when the boat sits idle for a period. Unfiltered water from the tanks (for washing dishes, bathing, etc.) can get pretty stale smelling so we're considering just filtering everything. Since we have a Seagull filter w/ a separate spigot at the galley sink for drinking, I suppose we don't require drinking quality water for washing/bathing. I know there are systems with multiple filters, UV lights, etc. - anyone have a system they love at a reasonable cost?
Thx -
Jim

If you are just trying to get rid of the smell then a charcoal filter would probably be all you need.

If you are just trying to get rid of the smell then a charcoal filter would probably be all you need.

Agreed. A whole-house cartridge filter is pretty easy to install (famous last words on a boat), and covers everything. Use a charcoal filter cartridge in it and it will get rid of most smells. Change the filter every 6 months to a year.

I like the pentair big blue 10” housing with a carbon filter cartridge mentioned above. I use the 20” for the house.

I make all my own water, including for laundry, dishwasher, etc. My tanks always have some water. I use a undetectable amount of chlorine added before making water. And for over kill, a 3 filter group under the sink. I have great water, no tank problems and near endless water available.

Additionally, RO water seems to clean clothes & dishes better.

We use a 'Seagull IV X-2B' for the entire boat but have just put a 1micron cartridge filter ahead of it due to short life of the filters ($$) due to sediment. So far am happy, no taste, we shock with chlorine at every fill of the tanks.

I went for a 3 filter setup on my boat. The filters are for the whole water system, so they're plumbed in right after the pressure tank. It's 3 of the 4.5x10 blue housings. First one is a 1 micron sediment filter, second is a granular carbon and KDF cartridge, and the third is a 0.5 micron carbon block. I filter water for sediment before it goes into the tank and make sure there's at least a little bit of chlorine in the tank. Water comes out post-filters tasting great.

I went for a 3 filter setup on my boat. The filters are for the whole water system, so they're plumbed in right after the pressure tank. It's 3 of the 4.5x10 blue housings. First one is a 1 micron sediment filter, second is a granular carbon and KDF cartridge, and the third is a 0.5 micron carbon block. I filter water for sediment before it goes into the tank and make sure there's at least a little bit of chlorine in the tank. Water comes out post-filters tasting great.

Are most or all the cartridges pressure rated? I couldn't find anything on the 10" ones I have. They look capable and maybe that's standard. Just wanted to make sure before I added one.

Are most or all the cartridges pressure rated? I couldn't find anything on the 10" ones I have. They look capable and maybe that's standard. Just wanted to make sure before I added one.

I've never seen a pressure limit on a cartridge, only for the housings (100 psi for the 10" big blue housings). The cartridges only see the differential pressure based on the flow rate going through them, not the full system pressure (as it's pressurized all around the cartridge).

In case anyone is wondering, the 3 cartridges I'm using are the Pentek DGD2501, Pentek DBC-10EX2, and Pentek FloPlus-10BB.

I like the pentair big blue 10” housing with a carbon filter cartridge mentioned above. I use the 20” for the house.

I installed a Pentair housing on my boat that takes the 20" x 4" cartridges. Everything on the boat gets filtered water. At that size, you easily get enough flow through a carbon block filter to handle multiple outlets at the same time. While I never reach the gallon capacity rating of the filter, it gets changed annually. While it won't do anything for water hardness, it definitely removes taste including chlorine.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom