Westerbeke help(??)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SIBERNUT

Guru
I sent them an email asking where the generator exhaust should be in relation to the waterline. They kindly sent me the installation guide (which i have and read) . There is absolutely NOTHING in there about this, and I replied saying if there was I wouldn't have emailed you, please answer the question. (Yeah, right....)
SO- Those of you with diesel generators, does it make a difference where it is? Lift muffler, gen above waterline, looped, yadda yadda. Does it seem to help with sound to have it close to the water? Higher? Out the side? ( Dry stack up the mast?)
Whatcha got? Trying to splash this week and want to install the the thru hull before I do, gen will come later if I can get it running

Although mine may not need a waterlift it has one and the water exits 3-4 inches above the waterline from a pipe that has a small amount of down angle and out the back , maybe a 6ft run , how high above the water is your exhaust outlet ?

Onan 8kw on centerline above stuffing box. Exhaust goes to muffler which about on the same plane as generator. Exhaust exits muffler with large upward arc, maybe 12"-18" above waterline, then down to thruhull about 6" above waterline. Exits port side. Some have large clamshell facing aft and slightly down to keep water from ingressing.

Westerbeke installation manuals have excellent instruction and diagrams for exhaust installation.

I just looked up a bunch of random ones and they were on the Westerbeke site.

I believe Northern Lights does the same.

Here is just one of the random Westerbeke diagrams.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Exjaust

Keehof - How high is it? That's the question. I want to install before launch & need to know where to put it. Serious replies only pls............

Last edited:
Serious replies?

Just because someone reports their boats setup has worked awhile...that is no sure bet.

My boat was a mess but functioned for 20+ years without a problem..... doesn't mean it wasn't an accident waiting to happen.

I did research and based on several manufacturer recommendations, I felt like I modified my exhausts to standards rather than who know what someone installed.

Last edited:
Mine is just like the picture , it may not have the anti siphon valve , I am not sure , but will add one if it does not , westebeke 8btd

I had a Westerbeke 4.4 and it was setup like the diagram but no anti- siphon loop.

See attached with heights from Northern Lights. Goes for main engines as well as generators, but somehow generators seem more prone to faulty exhauat installs. Presumably the folks with no siphon break have engine manifolds well above waterline (#1 on picture) but you should check. If it's close (#2), add a siphon break. As Psneeld said, just because something worked for a while doesn't mean it's correct or will continue to work. Many a diesel has been destroyed when the boat got fully loaded for a long cruise and sunk a few inches deeper drowning the engine.

PeterScreenshot_20230824_062035_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
See attached with heights from Northern Lights. Goes for main engines as well as generators, but somehow generators seem more prone to faulty exhaust installs. Presumably the folks with no siphon break have engine manifolds well above waterline (#1 on picture) but you should check. If it's close (#2), add a siphon break. PeterView attachment 141704

My Westerbeke 12.5 Kw gen was installed very close to the 12" minimum height. After I got a little sea water intrusion into #1 cylinder after a fuel solenoid issue, I installed the siphon break. Even though it involves some engineering thru the sound shield, unless your install is way above the waterline, I would add the siphon break

I installed my Westerbeke 5 kw and punched a hole right through the center of the boot stripe to run the exhaust through...twenty three years ago and still running. Yes, I did install a siphon break.

Back
Top Bottom