What Age Do You Think You Will Hang It Up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In some sense it is not really for us to say. Depends largely on individual health and retirement income. During my working years we spent a few winters on jackstands alongside a beautiful steel sailboat the owner was building. I had a Mainship 400 then, but we occasionally found boating things to talk about. One day another boater asked me if I'd heard the sailboat builder/owner had suddenly passed away (probably early 60's in age). That beautiful and unique boat never got to sail for the man whose dream it was to enjoy it. On the other hand, we have a boating club friend well into his 80's who still single hands his sailboat. Don't give up the dream and keep doing it if you can, but seeking guarantees of future success could possibly just be wasted time and effort.

I'm 76, 77 in August. Just bought a new Silverton 352 MY. My wife and I got tired of trailing a 26 ft. Sea Ray and similar boats over the past 25 years, to the Hudson River, Atlantic City, Chesapeake Bay and assorted rivers withing 250 miles of Phila. Now berthed near Annapolis we plan many weeks and weekends exploring the middle C'Peake Bay with grandchildren. Not too old for that. But, we are mindful of our ages and won't be taking chances like when we were younger.

Last edited:
I’ve had boats continually since 1972 and just turned 75. We’ve been full time cruisers for the last 7 years but have swallowed the anchor and bought a house near Knoxville at the junction of the Tennessee and Little Tennessee rivers. We’ve seen a lot on those 7 years but some of the daily grind of traveling caught up with us. We expect to put our Krogen 42 on the market in the next few weeks but will get something smaller for river cruising.

Can't imagine when from here.
We kept our noses pretty firmly to the grindstone for 30+ years and that has worked out well enough to do this for a good long time. We are pretty committed to staying in boating shape for the long run, Good Lord willing.
Right now, thinking of scenes as pictured below paddling the dog back to Klee Wyck from shore duty at sunset a few nights ago, I think the anchor will have to eat me for it to end.
I suppose we will wake up one day and know better.

Attachments

• Back to Klee Wyck at sunset.jpg
    Back to Klee Wyck at sunset.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 45
I am planning my "Ghost Rider" tour for Aug on the east coast, but only if the covid breaks. I will be gone a month...maybe.... Then when I get back, another tour on the west coast. Probably Most of September. Its going to take a lot of healing as I am going down hill fast the last two days. Taking her 2008 Sky Roadster two pairs of underwear and some socks. Not room for anything else in that car...LOL. Got a back pack packed in the right seat.
My apologies to the person that started this thread for hijacking it, but you did ask.

Wifey B: Don't dare apologize. Yours is one of the reasons we quit. I can't say what is right for you or anyone else but many will face similar to what you have. I can't imagine anything more depressing than seeing the face and body of my lifelong love but she or he not being there in mind.

To me, Alzheimer's and other forms of Dementia are the scariest of all diseases and we're making so little progress in treatment. We can provide decent care but it doesn't come easy or cheap.

I think we overlook how much of living is memory. We go our for a nice meal. It's only an hour of pleasure if we can't remember it after. Our family visited yesterday and normally we'd have the happiness of that for days or weeks, but when you remember nothing of it an hour after they leave, you don't have much. It's why dementia patients need nearly constant activity and stimulation and their caregivers need incredible patience. For any who haven't encountered it, imagine sitting with your loved one and in one hour you cover the same thing 6 or 8 times, same topic, same question.

You just need to keep working on finding ways to remember how she was and how life was before dementia took her from you. You mention two very bad days and I'd still encourage you to find a counselor, perhaps even telecounseling on webcam who understands what it's like to deal with dementia and loss of loved one. Dementia often takes two lives. I honestly believe it's worse on the caregiver than the patient as in some ways it protects the patient from themselves and they're not aware of how bad things are, at least that's what I hope is that it's easier for them than their loved ones. I have seen that to be the case with some but then others are angry.

Just take care of yourself, do what is right for you, even if it might not make sense to others, and know the pain won't go away but little by little you'll learn to manage it better. :)

Wifey B: Don't dare apologize. Yours is one of the reasons we quit.
I'm confused...what did you quit? My wife has had mental problems for over a year and has yet to be diagnosed correctly. (MHO) She forgets some things (short term) but not all things. We have been to the so called medical experts for about a year and a half. had numerous MRI & MRA scans, Catscans, blood workups, PT, BP & arithma medicines, etc but to no avail. We also have a boat that we both love but she refuses to go out on it now as she has a balance problem & is on a constant edge of feeling nausea.

Reason for my question...."What did you quit? Boating?

I'm confused...what did you quit? My wife has had mental problems for over a year and has yet to be diagnosed correctly. (MHO) She forgets some things (short term) but not all things. We have been to the so called medical experts for about a year and a half. had numerous MRI & MRA scans, Catscans, blood workups, PT, BP & arithma medicines, etc but to no avail. We also have a boat that we both love but she refuses to go out on it now as she has a balance problem & is on a constant edge of feeling nausea.

Reason for my question...."What did you quit? Boating?

Wifey B: We didn't quit. It was the collective "we." I was just saying that his post was very relevant. Sorry for misleading. No, we haven't quit boating, but one day we may for the very reasons others of you are facing. No, we haven't quit boating or anything else. In fact had a wonderful day on the water with two almost first graders who really needed it, but then I needed them. :)

Great question and wonderful responses! Forum is at it’s best on this topic. Thank you all for the heartfelt stories and humor.

We’re 70/68, married 18 months ago - engaged while on a spring shakedown cruise with the Power Squadron. No, I didn’t threaten her with walking the plank if she said “no”. She was new to boating, and when she saw the beauty of litely developed and undeveloped Pamlico, Neuse, and Pungo rivers, and Colonial towns like Bath and New Bern, she cheerfully accepted the Admiral’s posting.

The Camano is a great size for now and the years ahead, and my original plan was to shoot for 80/78. But, my luck is that the Admiral is a nutrition and fitness enthusiast, and her encouragement has me in better shape than I was 15 years ago. Grocery shopping, exercise, even dinners out are focused on adding more years to our happy lives. Plus, I have grandchildren in need on sea training, and that’s a huge motivation for me. So, we have a vision of healthy choices improving our outlook for cruising, volunteering and more. There will be a time for gracefully surrendering the things of our new-found youth, but right now, we’re training for a longer horizon. The biggest challenge is that Boatwright is 4 1/2 hours away, and the drive is a challenge as we grow older.

Speaking of health, look up vitamin D and cancer/COVID-19/respiratory disease/etc. Amazing benefits...I’ve been researching since prostate cancer in 2012, can’t believe public health officials aren’t pushing it harder. University Research Hospital presentations on YouTube are worth watching..... Fight for good health every day!

After seeing all the posts about downsizing I am thinking I should just stay with the Camano as long as possible. Got rid of the house. At $620 a month for slip and utilities, I don't think I will find anything on land cheaper anyways. I will probably die falling in the water when pumping out on that narrow side deck! :)

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my thoughts/question. We have decided to take a course through SouthWest Fl Yacht company. Two three day back to back sessions, planning to do in August. The course is actually onboard a 400 Mainship, the boat we're actually interested in. So Feedback very welcomed.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my thoughts/question. We have decided to take a course through SouthWest Fl Yacht company. Two three day back to back sessions, planning to do in August. The course is actually onboard a 400 Mainship, the boat we're actually interested in. So Feedback very welcomed.

Lavmaul,

That's not a bad plan. The MS400 is a fairly easy to own/operate and maintain coastal cruiser.

I'm shooting for well into the 80s or older before I hang it up.

We rented the Salty Peanut Mainship 400 for a week through SWF Yachts two years ago. It was VERY helpful for helping us learn what we did and didn't like/need as we were just beginning our search for a looper/cruising boat. Well worth it!

Mavmaul

Don if you are looking for a 40 Mainship A boating friend just listed his on Huntsville, Al Craig list. I know the boat and it is in excellent condition. It has done the loop and He has owned it for several years, Kept under cover fresh water on the Tenn. river.
Ray Whitney

The "right time" to start or finish is different for everyone.

You should never have a hobby you cannot afford. Financial situations can change, so be flexible.

You should never have a hobby that does not give you great pleasure. So if it's not fun..stop. Every person has different attention spans..and will get "burned out" or bored sooner or later.

Health can create disability or reduced physical ability. If you have the money, you can hire people instead of doing tasks yourself.

Age affects people's health very differently.

The "right time" to start or finish is different for everyone.

You should never have a hobby you cannot afford. Financial situations can change, so be flexible.

You should never have a hobby that does not give you great pleasure. So if it's not fun..stop. Every person has different attention spans..and will get "burned out" or bored sooner or later.

Health can create disability or reduced physical ability. If you have the money, you can hire people instead of doing tasks yourself.

Age affects people's health very differently.

Wifey B: I watch athletes struggle with the decision to retire. Many won't until they're just pushed out. Last year was a final year for Dirk Nowitzki. 21 seasons for the same team. He would have gone for 22, but his last season was one of pain. He had impingement in his ankle due to bone spurs and it never recovered. Getting ready for each game was a struggle. He hid the amount of pain but decided along the way it would be his final year. He loved the game and everything about it but his celebratory final year wasn't at all pleasurable behind the scenes.

People think athletes continue for the money, but by their final year, they have plenty of money. They just simply don't know life without their sport. It's all they've ever done and doesn't prepare them for what comes after. No one cheers you in normal life.

Well, I think most of us have become very dependent on boating. We have a hard time imagining life after. I actually applaud those who have mixed in some RV. I applaud any who find non-boating pleasure to ease toward. Don't put yourselves in a position in which when the time comes to walk away you can't because you have nothing to walk into. We need to remind ourselves that lives centered around and dependent on one activity can be too narrow in scope. I had an older friend whose husband golfed every day after retirement. She talked about his deep depression when the Orthopedist made it clear to him that he must stop completely. He knew his back was in constant pain and some days he couldn't get out of bed, but he had to be told harshly to stop. He was 75 years old and had no other hobby.

We all must consider the possibility and not live in denial if we wish to be prepared for the day we can cruise no more. :)

Reactions: Art
Your comments about athletes are very real outside of that area as well.
When my wife died, I lost my audience. It is still very difficult to live without an audience. I am reminded of Burt Reynolds answer when Sally Fields asked, "What do you do?" The first time I heard it I laughed in my heart, "I show off". It was so honest and real. Many men "show off" for their mate. I have lost my audience of 65 years and showing off just isnt as much fun anymore without her approving look. I am glad I am not that dependent on boating. But boating WAS part of my showing off so when she became afraid of the boat, it lost its power over me. I wont do it alone. My flying also filled that need. Luckily, right up to the end I was her pilot hero so I still enjoy it. BUT, and this is an important note. Flying becomes difficult when no one will sell you insurance (over 69 seems to be the limit) Of course there is no law in most states that you must have insurance to fly but you do risk your estate without it.
I brag now that the airplane I want to insure is a Cessna 337 "O2" and most insurance companies dont like to insure them and I am 83 and no one will insure me so we are a match made in heaven.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom