What boat to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maravida,

I agree, don't buy a project boat.
My advice, don't buy a "project boat" unless your enjoyment comes from "working on boats" or you have "bags of money" to spend on it.

Good luck with your search

You can buy the perfect boat and then, you spend lots of money to make the boat "yours".
Of course, we all hope the next owner appreciate our updates. Smile

Last edited:
You can buy the perfect boat and then, you spend money to make the boat "yours".
Of course, we all hope the next owner appreciate our updates. Smile
Tell me about it Dan!!!:banghead: Spent a small fortune so far doing upgrades, catching up on servicing and additions. Haven't really touched the electronics yet!
Oh well, it's only money :D

Tell me about it Dan!!!:banghead: Spent a small fortune so far doing upgrades, catching up on servicing and additions. Haven't really touched the electronics yet!
Oh well, it's only money :D

Yea, I too have not touched the electronics. If we 'touch' the elections today, tomorrow, they will be outdated.
My recommendation is, if you are comfortable with your current electronics, live them and let the next owner make that update.

Last edited:
If your going to spend that much time on the boat, get at least a 34 foot boat. Diesel is the only way to go. Twin screw is recommended as having owned a 26 Tolly they handle terribly. Large water capicity is a plus as u can't always get water in the golf Islands. Make sure u have a dinghy or u will spend a lot of money at Marina's. Enjoy your adventure.

Dan,
I will take your recommendation on that. Everything is working now. I did buy a new laptop (old one ran XP) and installed Coastal Explorer. Also added Vesper AIS (see what I mean about the money). Very happy with all that and leaving the rest alone.

If your going to spend that much time on the boat, get at least a 34 foot boat. Diesel is the only way to go. Twin screw is recommended as having owned a 26 Tolly they handle terribly. Large water capicity is a plus as u can't always get water in the golf Islands. Make sure u have a dinghy or u will spend a lot of money at Marina's. Enjoy your adventure.
Just a different viewpoint.
Personally I would not want twins in a boat that small. Why, first, the extra expense of operation but more so maintenance and repair. Basically double. Secondly, the cramped engine rooms with twins making access for maintenance difficult. This could result in bleeding knuckles or if paying labour a higher cost due to extra time being needed. Third, with a single, generally the running gear is better protected from debris strikes and here in the NW that is a real issue (lots of logs, etc.).
Twins do have their advantages, but I feel that the downside (especially in smaller ER's) outweighs them.
JMHO and to each his own:D

Seems to me single screw tugs handle plenty well - especially with help from thrusters.

I also third the notion of an enclosed cockpit area, and for me that means soft walls that can roll down and be secured. This way I can be in relative comfort at anchor or at the dock while it pours out.

I also agree with diesel heating but I will be using kerosene instead of diesel. After finishing just weeks ago, the install of my new Merc stern drive engine and leg and knowing I could have bought a decent BMW with the price, I also say you might be better with a single engine if your boat is 34 feet or smaller. But a single with bow thruster for sure, and maybe a stern thruster as well, but definitely a bow thruster. You don't need a thruster often but when you do its so nice to have.

Forget a boat with an outboard, you need the swim grid for your dinghy with something like Seawise davits. Seawise is great for old farts like me who don't want to wrestle with my Merc 9.9 short shaft. Dinghies in the PNW, BC and AK are more of a requirement than other parts of the continent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom