What lubrication for the zippers for clears?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kit_L

Vessel Name
Suu Kyi
Vessel Make
Custom 40' catamaran
I am assuming some kind of dry lubricant would be best, but please tell me what you use. My clears are about three years old now, and the zips have become harder to move. TIA!

Thanks, @Comodave—ordered a tube from a local chandlery just now! Best, Kit

Chap stick just as good
I think that you would go through a lot of tubes of Chapstick before you use up a tube of the Starbrite lube.

I start using it immediately when I get or make new canvas so the zippers don’t start binding.

Last edited:
Chapstick. works great and cheap.
I used to use zippy cool

I would think that most Marine zippers have plastic teeth and a slider or operating mechanism that is made from some kind of metal, likely an alum. alloy of some kind, that more often than not has the letters YKK molded into the handle. This fine Japanese company is said to enjoy over half of the worlds zipper market.

The zipper's teeth, being plastic are, if clean, almost self lubricating, Plastics do that kind of thing although some lubrication will make things easier.

The issue that I have is that the slider (often one that is seldom used) being metal, corrodes to the point where it is frozen onto the zipper's plastic teeth or their mounting fabric. I have in the past used various acids (always neutralized soon after) to free the slider and make the zipper work again. Sometimes it's too late and the zipper's slider is lost.

The question I have is how does one lubricate the working channels of the slider as to protect it from corrosion?
It seems to me that some kind of stick or lip balm just might not be the best thing, regardless of how it smells.

Ok. Take a look at this.

This shop sells replacement sliders.
I've used them on moto gear & marine gear.
Been to their place here in Oregon.
Has saved me on zippers that otherwise would require replacement

Divers use a stick of beeswax sold specifically for dry suits. Seems to work pretty well on plastic zippers, too. One reason for the beeswax is that petroleum-based lubricants may damage rubber dive suits. I don't know if vinyl is susceptible to that, but it's something to consider.

Back
Top Bottom