What might this be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfedex

Vessel Name
Fluke
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
As we crossed Puget Sound, I got this photo. There is a white box just above the rail with a red dot on it. I am not used to seeing sensors anywhere on a ship but on the bridge. Any ideas? Pirate detector?

Could there be a WHITE box on the Stb'd side with a GREEN dot in it?

-- Edited by El Sea on Sunday 6th of March 2011 10:20:56 PM

I cannot find any better photos, but it looks like there is a white box on the starboard side.

A google search on zim djiboute-images finds lots of photos.

images

-- Edited by Larry H on Sunday 6th of March 2011 10:42:36 PM

Nav Lights???

My guess would be nav lights. This ship is 1145 ft long by 150 ft wide. The running lights are aft up on the bridge and might not be visible from the water with in a mile or so. Here is another photo. The starboard white box is visible.

Big_1715.jpg

-- Edited by Larry H on Sunday 6th of March 2011 11:04:37 PM

Larry H wrote:

My guess would be nav lights. This ship is 1145 ft long by 150 ft wide. The running lights are aft up on the bridge and might not be visible from the water with in a mile or so. Here is another photo. The starboard white box is visible.
I don't have a copy of the Nav Rules here, but my guess is that a ship of this size must have either her only set of Red/Green lights or a second set, forward of amidship. Rick?

Check your sidelights from dead ahead. You should see both red and green. However, by moving toward one side just 1-3º you should then see only one light. If you still see two lights, an approaching vessel won't be able to tell which direction your are going.

My take is that these are the sidelights. I was looking for something that showed a rule as to length and maybe an additional set of sidelights required. I didn't find it, and it's my bedtime, so I'll leave it up to the team.*
smile.gif

I would add that if the sidelights were much further aft, it would be very difficult to see both from dead ahead.

-- Edited by Carey on Monday 7th of March 2011 12:11:07 AM

Bad day for these guys.

Cause?* Poor seamanship.

-- Edited by KJ on Monday 7th of March 2011 02:00:01 AM

Attachments

• mumbai-collision-3[1].jpg
    mumbai-collision-3[1].jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 82
  • mumbai-collision-2[1].jpg
    mumbai-collision-2[1].jpg
    31 KB · Views: 71
  • mumbai-collision[1].jpg
    mumbai-collision[1].jpg
    42 KB · Views: 76
  • mumbai-collision-4[1].jpg
    mumbai-collision-4[1].jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 71
Per wrote:

is that the same MSC ship?
The MSC Chitra collided with MV Khalijia on August 7, 2010, *and has been grounded in the Arabian Sea since then off the Mumbai coast.******* KJ

Well, I wish I had reflected a bit more on the original question. must have to have a couple of sets of lights on very big boats. Thanks to all for your gentle input...

Back
Top Bottom