Where should I live???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. RR. Thanks for the response on budget ($$). I was NOT attempting to be judgemental in any way, for those that may have questioned my request.

A person with a $30K budget will have different answers to the same questions as someone with a $300K budget. Prices for both boats AND slips vary considerably across North America.

$60K seems like an amount that should buy a boat, do some initial repairs and allow some level of cruising.

Mr. RR. Have you considered the Caribbean?

I'd head for South Florida in the fall. Get a boat over the winter and head north in the spring.

Relax

The fact that he has avoided that question multiple times, and other responses, kind of feels like talking to a wall. Hoping I'm wrong, just my opinion.

I don’t think he avoided anything. You don’t know the timing of his schedule against the posts.

It’s his business what his budget is. If he wants budget advice he will ask. He doesn’t need people to ask for him.

Hey Art and RT,

My budget to purchase the vessel is around $65K-$80K. As luck would have it, I don't have a tremendous nut to meet each month, so my income just keeps adding up with nowhere but investment to go. This doesn't mean I'm rich at all...nope! It does mean that, once I make the initial purchase, every penny I make moving forward is available to replace systems, etc. My annual total budget is around $60K.

Thanks! Sounds like you have the general wherewithal.

Living on a trawler is great!

Hi Ross-
My Roughwater 41 is super comfortable (mine is in fabulous condition), and I stay on it when I'm doing my work assignments in Southern California. Scooting over to Catalina is so satisfying as well.
I am also in the PNW and looking for a trawler to stay on--there are great marinas for that--just pick your area. Close to Seattle is a challenge--I was at Shilshole for a few years but it has a 2 to 3 year wait list for liveaboards now. My nephew successfully finds liveaboard slips on Lake Union for his 35 ft. sloop somehow.
Further from Seattle is easier. I like Bellingham, Blaine, Port Ludlow, Hansville, and of course the southern Puget Sound. Slips are less $$ in the PNW than in SoCal.--2/3. Right now it is better to find your boat further south and then take it north to the PNW. You want one that is very worthy if you are going to do cruising in WA and B.C., Canada and up to S.E. Alaska. I have cruised all of those waters--gorgeous! So much to see.
Good plan you have! (I have cruised the East Coast and I just can't do the hot humid thing there. I've sailed to and across the South Pacific but it usually is more windy and the humidity is more doable.
Good Luck!
C Lady

I have a 80 ft tender that is docked as a live aboard for 100/mo.. But I have to pay for electric-50 amp.... lol

Just paid my yearly fee of 1200 two days ago.... Gotta be happy with that!

I vote for PNW largely because of the wealth of inland cruising possibilities. As for the difficulty of finding a slip, people say it's hard, but I have literally never struggled over 20+years of boat ownership, including a recently as 1 year ago, slip sizes ranging from 30 to 55 feet over that time. Granted, I'm not a live aboard, but I have had the live aboard option in 80 percent of the marinas I have occupied. Part of the process of finding slips is getting off the internet, making phone calls and seeking resources of people who are connected to the marina business. I have gotten great info from my boat insurance broker, again and again. He inspired marinas too. Anyway, if the only reason to discount the PNW is marina availability, don't. You will never find better cruising grounds than in WA and BC waters.

I vote for PNW largely because of the wealth of inland cruising possibilities. ...... You will never find better cruising grounds than in WA and BC waters.

Wifey B: Have you ever cruised the ICW? More protected than PNW cruising and thousands of miles? And yes, PNW has nice islands. Not nearly as many as the Bahamas of course. :lol:

I think the PNW is a fine area for cruising and likely ideal for someone use to cold and rain. One from Colorado might well not like warmth and sunshine of South Florida.

I loved my cruising in the PNW but be careful stating it's superiority over areas you've never cruised. New England has some incredible cruising with the Cape and Islands. Then there's the Chesapeake. So incredible, so much to see and do. Norfolk to Baltimore about the same as Tacoma to Vancouver in distance but then far more to explore beyond in the Chesapeake area.

And you mentioned inland. There's this thing called.....oh what is it.....some group of lakes and they're called something like ....is it Big? :nonono: Huge? :nonono: Nice? :nonono: oh it's The Great Lakes. Five lakes of unlimited cruising, all inland. :ermm:

Really haven't found any bad cruising areas although some I prefer over others and that's where we are, personal preference. I'd say variable one to address is climate. Love Alaska for a summer cruise, but this girl ain't livin' there year round. Same with Great Lakes. Same with Boston, although had a silly girl on this site once who was determined she could. One winter and she loaded up mommy and the five kids and headed to Southern California. :rofl:

Others here say they couldn't to the East Coast or FL and just like Easterners forget how much things vary from southern to northern California, they tend to overlook the variability on the East Coast and even in Florida. Only thing Pensacola and Key West Have in Common is they're both on the water. :eek:

There's a lot of talk about moving between summer and winter and can be done on the east coast. More challenging on the west coast, although possible but without the ICW takes more boat. Plus, where does all that fit in a budget? Multi short term dockages are going to add costs plus cost of travel.

I remain firm in my recommendation of where. I have none. But I recommend OP do a lot more research and exploration to determine if it's even the right thing for him and then where. Every area has it's pros and cons and people here touting one, won't tout the other. I'll say why South Florida isn't it in all likelihood. Costs. Dockage for a 50' boat likely to run $18000 - $24000 a year in Fort Lauderdale. I live here and it's paradise but wouldn't work for OP to dock at a marina here year round. However, just cross the South Florida border into the Treasure Coast and move on up to St Lucie County and Stuart and to Ft. Pierce and far more affordable and still incredible, although also hotter at times. :)

Keep exploring and find your paradise. :D

Europe too far?

I have a trawler I could part with in Med coast Spain, around £49k Sterling
https://jerrytremain.wixsite.com/innisfree

I have to agree with RTF that budget has a great deal to do with the what the responses should be. So let's level set for a minute. $60K to buy a boat big enough to live aboard is going to be an old one. The OP apparently has zero boating experience, let alone liveaboard and cruising experience, and unknown mechanical, electrical, woodworking, navigational, etc. skills. Yet with all the experience on TF, nobody seems to think it's bad advice to encourage him to cruise up and down the East or West coast or even tackle the Great Loop. Some make it sound like these are trivial trips that anyone should be able to handle with ease. Sorry to be Debbie Downer here, but does anyone else here think that these aspirations are a tad aggressive for a new boater in an old boat with a limited budget? Not meaning to be negative, but this could go very wrong in a lot of ways.

Last edited:
I have to agree with RTF that budget has a great deal to do with the what the responses should be. So let's level set for a minute. $60K to buy a boat big enough to live aboard is going to be an old one.

OP also mentioned East Coast down to Panama and thence to PNW (or reverse). So I agree with you that in order for responses to be meaningful, budget (and sailing goals) are very relevant.

With that sort of program and a ~$60k budget I would say a "smaller" sailboat (say 30-36'). If the budget were $600k I'd have completely different suggestions.

For ICW/Inland Rivers different yet again.

I have a more nomadic spirit and can easily see me traversing the Gulf, hitting the Panama Canal and heading north up the Pacific Coast to Alaska or BC (or vice versa, as I hear going north from Panama up to San Francisco is all against the wind and tides).

Edited to add: I don't see asking for more specifics as being discouraging. I think it's better for everyone. OP gets better advice; posters don't spin wheels making long, thoughtful posts that turn out to be irrelevant in relation to OP's situation.

In short, I think it's a balance of effort where OPs (in any thread) give info in order to help posters who would like to be helpful and share theirs.

The opposite of that is the classic bare-bones "What's the best boat?" where there's just nothing to go on.

Last edited:
Actually, I might just go fly a kite today because its sunny, warm and a nice sea breeze here in Florida, the rain in the northwest would make it too heavy to fly..... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

IMO, boating aside, living in MI or FL is not much different. Weather sucks and you are inside 6 mos of the year. Just a matter if you prefer being in A/C or heat. The rest of the year is great.

Anyone else fighting an urge here?

Wifey B: I'm not fighting. It's just too obvious. But he better be glad his wife didn't just boot him to the ground and take off in the truck and leave him with his head up his.....oh I can't type that. :lol: :censored::censored:

He wants to trash talk. I just got home and I'm a trash talker from the basketball court and hold my ground there. :dance::dance::dance:

Since this has turned into a climate discussion, which is somewhat relevant, in the Northeast this weekend we are looking forward to clear weather with highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's. Perfect for a few nights away. Water is still pretty chilly for swimming anyway, so temps in the 70's will make for some nice boating and beach days. Our weather is far from ideal year-round, but these kinds of days are perfect for me.

I agree, but the gauntlet was thrown with the go fly a kite ending.... :)

Agreed, but there are worse things to say than go fly a kite and I think your response was appropriate as well as being a little funny.

For many weeks before the recent cold snap there I couldn't help but notice that the weather in Boston was warmer than in my valley in Nevada.

I have lived mid Atlantic, Southeast, South Florida, Gulf Coast and Alaska.

I havent't driven every road in America, but around much of it. Driving versus years of living in a place is the difference. I doubt that needs much explanation.

There is good and bad in every place...you can either adapt or regret. I have enjoyed every place every place I have lived/was stationed....except Wash. DC..... while climate related....not the weather climate.

In the end attitude trumps all in just about everything. I liked so much of the US....I am trying to visit as much by boat and RV as I can....thus no permanent residence....cuts into exploring too much.

I have lived mid Atlantic, Southeast, South Florida, Gulf Coast and Alaska.

I havent't driven every road in America, but around much of it. Driving versus years of living in a place is the difference. I doubt that needs much explanation.

There is good and bad in every place...you can either adapt or regret. I have enjoyed every place every place I have lived/was stationed....except Wash. DC..... while climate related....not the weather climate.

In the end attitude trumps all in just about everything. I liked so much of the US....I am trying to visit as much by boat and RV as I can....thus no permanent residence....cuts into exploring too much.

Wifey B: I have seen most of coastal and waterway US by boat and loved aspects of all of it. The reasons I would not choose to live in certain places are not relevant to many other people. Doesn't mean they aren't great places to live. You're right about adapting and making the most of things. Only in 2012 did I have a complete choice with nothing interfering. :)

I say the same about the Bahamas and Caribbean and the rest of North America and Central America, so many great places. I haven't cruised anywhere I didn't enjoy. Now cruising some in Europe and loving it all so far. Croatia was the most incredibly pleasant surprise. Who thought this southern girl would be singing the praises of Croatia, but they've done so many things well in rebuilding. :D

We had no idea we'd end up in Fort Lauderdale until falling in love with it on our first FL vacation. Great kite flying weather today. May take Aurora to the beach later and do so. A lot of loopers have no home defined and in the course of looping just find a place and stay. I ran across a couple in Columbus, MS that did so and one in Demopolis. Many in Marathon. It's like where old boaters come to rest. You and OC Diver have come down and found areas in FL you like to spend time. :ermm:

Every place I've visited I want to spend more time. Much more. I want another Alaskan summer but don't want to live there. Bring my home temps to the Chesapeake and might consider it but not willing to just boat half the year. We have visitors right now from the Virgin Islands (US and B) and they make island life sound incredible. And wonderful people everywhere. :dance:

120 replies on a very personal decision. Move where you like the weather. Remember, boats move unlike dirt houses.

I’ve been reading this blog if that’s what you call it I’m still not up to snuff on the Termanology anyways for years and never felt the need to Chime in . don’t ask me why I started probably In need of some Serious help . Y’all are so serious to use a southern term again I remember being on a Boat and the propeller shaft seal was gushing water and I mentioned it to him and he says well I don’t have to worry about it getting hot I guess and I said your bilge pump is running to and he said yeah I guess it’s working all the discussions on this site about what kind of paint to use how Apply it when Rustoleum oil base works great you are so serious no kidding around with you guys

I loved the father-in-law comment you get two points for that one why not jump in enjoy the fun

If someone here wants to be rude and childish, it's best not to engage with them. It just fuels their bad behavior. Kind of fits in with this thread topic, meaning there are good and bad people everywhere you go, even on TF.

Wifey B: I'd agree but some things just can't be tolerated and finding humor in terms like "retard" and in "mental illness" fall into that group. I have reported now rather than responding further. As to Junior High, in our Middle School he'd be chastised by other students and sent home by administrators. Guess he's getting the attention he wants but it won't last long. :)

Wifey B: I'd agree but some things just can't be tolerated and finding humor in terms like "retard" and in "mental illness" fall into that group. I have reported now rather than responding further. As to Junior High, in our Middle School he'd be chastised by other students and sent home by administrators. Guess he's getting the attention he wants but it won't last long. :)

I hear you, but if someone finds enjoyment in talking like that to get to people, I figure it's wasted effort. To quote Mark Twain: “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

I hear you, but if someone finds enjoyment in talking like that to get to people, I figure it's wasted effort. To quote Mark Twain: “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Wifey B: A lot of truth in that but some things can't be condoned or ignored. You can't let them go unchallenged. You know if you point them out the offending party is highly unlikely to change but by ignoring then, they feel their words are being accepted and fit within the acceptable norms of the group. There's a line crossed from just being an annoying jerk into entirely unacceptable language. Fortunately moderation has taken care of the worst. In schools, we face the reality in that kids will go home and parents will condone the language they're using, but we will continue to teach and disallow at school. We've found that eventually most kids will see the wrong and they'll accept their parents as they are and understand them but not accept the language as being ok. :)

As an educated man you probably would understand the definition of stuffed shirt I agree this is getting a little too juvenile for even me which is saying something Your opinion of me has no affect on me whatsoever however I am getting bored with it so I’ll give y’all a break and MoveOn

Wifey B: Educated woman, not man. As to you moving on, reminds me of a musical. :)

One last thing if you like Mark Twain if you hold a cat by the tail you’re a learn things you cannot learn any other way I have learned a few things about you all

If you are leaving (at least the thread), I give you high marks for this comment and a thumbs up as the way out. :thumb:

Speaking of songs, this one comes to mind

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom