Which low power cabin fan do you suggest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilPB

Guru
Vessel Name
Sun Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
I need to replace an older Hella 3 speed fan. I have 4 of them currently and the one in the head is screaming (literally, and not from stink) and needs a replacement.
I've heard the newer Hella fans are no longer as good as the old ones, and since they are >$100 /each, hence my post. I like the ones I have and would love replacements that are just as good.

I would also like to add a couple more within the cabin space so they need to be quiet and move a good amount of air.

I don’t use marine 12 volt fans anymore. They are always too loud and don’t move much air. And run the house battery down. We have Ridgid 18 volt/120 volt fans. They are dead quiet on low speed with a considerable amount of air movement and I get 48+ hours on a 4 amp battery. Or you can plug them in. We carry 2 of them on the boat. Wife has hers and I have mine. We can move them around to wherever we need them. And Ridgid gives a lifetime warranty if you register them online within 90 days of purchase. Awesome.

In my head, I use one of these...
BN-LINK Indoor Countdown Timer... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3QEK4E?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And one of these...
BESKAR USB Small Desk Fan, Portable Fans with 3 Speeds Strong Airflow, Quiet Operation and 360°Rotate, Personal Table Fan for Home,Office, Bedroom - 3.9 ft Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087D6LR8D?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_EZ7DJS9YEBSEF922HDD2

And, one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H5421TJ

Been much happier than I was with 12v "boat" and "RV" fans.

(Also, of course, the outlet is GFCI)

Last edited:
Most of those fans use sleeve bearings, Oilite bushings, meaning it is a bronze porous bushing that the fan shaft runs on. They are oil saturated but eventually the oil dries out and fails to do its job.

The much better sleeved bearing fans may also have a felt reservoir and an oiling hole but most don't . I used to see the felts in my work, not at the house and they were no where near as picky about the oil.

I have had many of them and reoiled them but it often did not last. Oil was to thick.

I finally gave a light weight synthetic oil a try. Royal Purple 5/20 & 15/40.
I plug the sleeve bearings so the oil fills the bearing, fill with the oil and then let it sit overnight.
Voila, it works. I have had good success with many fans now.

Of course I have thrown many fans or small motors away before I finally woke up..
Sure it takes some time but these motors/fans are often not cheap so worthwhile to try it particularily when I could see there was no damage to either the shaft or the Oilite sleeve.

Last edited:
We have a bunch of those USB fans, too. They sell them at Walmart; used to be about $10 each but of course this year it'll be more due to inflation. Since I have USB outlets all over the boat, we're never too far from one. They move a surprising amount of air for a very small amount of power (USB is only 5V and usually under 3A.)

Moving up the price scale quite a bit, we have three mounted, 12V fans:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UU1U84

These also move a lot of air for their size.

I bought one of these 12 inch vent fans and mounted it to a peice of quarter inch plywood with 4 of these spring release latches at the ends.

The assembly installs easily in the stateroom hatch by holding up with one hand and releasing the latches with the other. Then open the portholes and it pulls air in from all directions and out the top hatch.

I decided to buy Caframo 12v 3 speed. Looks like the Hella fans I currently have. If we like them I will replace afew more

the problem here is - low power fans = low air flow fans

I have 6 Caframo 12V 3-speed fans. On low they hardly use any power and are quiet. But they also donot move much air and you need to be close to them. Second speed is better, but not a iot. On/high it of course moves more air, uses more power and is loud since it is mounted close to you so you can use on the low speed.

If I had to start over I would pay more attention to the air flow and sound rating than the power use. If you want/need the fai air flow you will find the power.

the problem here is - low power fans = low air flow fans

I have 6 Caframo 12V 3-speed fans. On low they hardly use any power and are quiet. But they also donot move much air and you need to be close to them. Second speed is better, but not a iot. On/high it of course moves more air, uses more power and is loud since it is mounted close to you so you can use on the low speed.

If I had to start over I would pay more attention to the air flow and sound rating than the power use. If you want/need the fai air flow you will find the power.

Not too concerned about noise for this application. It's going in the head area.

Not too concerned about noise for this application. It's going in the head area.

In that case get the noisiest fan you can get to mask the sounds of the other noisemaker …

Here's my cabin hatch fan mounted to the plywood with the push button latches.

52817908661_b1695d5103_z.jpg

Very easy to pop in the deck hatch and ever easier to remove.

Canada Tire fan

I bought a $24 portable car fan from Canada tire. I’m using it as a defrost fan by my front window in font of my helm. It has a suction cup and cigarette lighter plug in.

I need to replace an older Hella 3 speed fan. I have 4 of them currently and the one in the head is screaming (literally, and not from stink) and needs a replacement.
I've heard the newer Hella fans are no longer as good as the old ones, and since they are >$100 /each, hence my post. I like the ones I have and would love replacements that are just as good.

I would also like to add a couple more within the cabin space so they need to be quiet and move a good amount of air.
https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?category=10011|10429&product=73891498&code=062503701013
Best 12 volt fan on the market hardly draws any power and has timer and blows a lot of breeze. Highly recommend. Price is CDN Dollars

Fan

I have been replacing my Hella fans with Caflano. More expensive but much quieter and better swich.

Caframo Sirroco II; had them for 3 years. Quiet, and do a good job on our Californian 34 as far as moving air.

So far I have replaced my 4 fans with the Caframo 3 speed fans. Very happy with them.

What model did you install? I’m looking to add some breeze to the lower helm seat area /salon with minimum power requirements and modified wiring. Any photos of where you installed the fans? There is no such thing as too many fans for my wife Patty!

What model did you install? I’m looking to add some breeze to the lower helm seat area /salon with minimum power requirements and modified wiring. Any photos of where you installed the fans? There is no such thing as too many fans for my wife Patty!

I used the Bora model. 1 in head on starboard forward bulkhead pointing towards shower. 1 in galley top aft-port side cabinet, 2 in v-berth mounted on hanging lockers pointing forward. May mount one more in v-berth facing aft. They work great and found if I place rubber gasket under mounting plate there is no discernable vibration noise.

These are the ones we went with also. Very happy with them, and the have built in timers you can set.:thumb:

I'll second that. We replaced our old very noisy TMC fans with the Sirocco II, great units. Pricey but worth it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom