Will it start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I see youtube videos with this title depicting some old rusted and/or forgotten piece of machinery that people with a bit of luck actually get up and running. I am encountering a somewhat less extreme case of this with a neighbor's long neglected twin-engine (Ford Lehman 4-cylinder engines) Taiwan trawler. He was a very intelligent electrical engineer in his day but has been challenged for a few years now with dimentia, and his family members have come to the realization that the boat must go. Lacking in even fundamental boat knowledge, they have asked me to lend a hand. Having sold my own twin-engine trawler years ago to avoid the ongoing issues of an old boat, I was a bit reluctant to get involved, but the calls for assistance kept coming. Today, at my encouragement they got the bottom scrubbed clean of four or more years' worth of biofouling, and the stepson and I and the now-dimented owner climbed around the boat, long disconnected from shore power, checking to see what would be required for getting it running so it can be listed for sale. A couple of decades ago I assisted this man in replacing the leaking fuel tanks. We lifted out each engine one at a time and placed them on balks over the other engine before cutting away the old tank and installing the new ones. He then designed an excellent fuel delivery system out of mostly stainless components. Today as we looked around the boat hunting for why we could get no power to the battery chargers once we plugged it into shore power. With the owner trying to help but unable to form words he needed to describe why he had done some rather inexplicable things to the system, assuming he even knew, it was like trying to assemble a jigsaw puzzle from the back side - he had been left to his own devices on the boat for too long. The start batteries are so dead they will have to be renewed, and the stepson is on that one. He knows little about boats, but is willing to help where he can. Then we will have to sort out the various disconnected starter battery cables to the mains and the near-new generator. The house bank of four 6-Volt batteries is finally on charge, but I have little hope for them. The only reason this boat was not full of water and on the bottom is that it does not leak anywhere and lives in a covered slip. The engine fluids all look ok, and we had good water flow when we opened the sea strainers; so we are hopeful of engine start tomorrow. Then the decision they have to make is whether to take it to the yard for a bottom job or try to sell it as is in its very sad cosmetic condition. Tomorrw we will also check steering. Luckily, the owner of the hull cleaning company came by while I was crawling around, and he turned out to be the broker through whom I bought my current boat nine years ago. Maybe we can get the ball rolling toward a quick sale..... I always tell my wife she has six months to sell from the time I cannot tend to the boat anymore, for what ever reason. I think she is taking notes on this one.

If it's been four years, I would consider barring the motors over versus just pressing the starters. It would be helpful to know approximately how long it's been since they were last running. If it's truly been 4 or more years, it might be worth pulling the injectors and spraying some penetratng oil to in the cylinders before trying to bar the engine over. Easier to dispose of a boat with running engines as opposed to ones needing a rebuild.

Ted

The stepson woke me up this morning with the news that the house batts are sitting at 13.5. He will be buying a couple of start batts later today when I will go over there to help get them in. Barring the engines over was on my mind last night as we all ate dinner together, and we will definitely be doing that this morning. I suggested that he shup off the battery charger for the house batts for a half hour to see how far they sag. From what we can make of the owners communications, we think the start batt charger may be tango uniform. The wife sits in awe of our ability to devine his intentions - "man talk" she calls it, and he smiles.

The stepson woke me up this morning with the news that the house batts are sitting at 13.5. He will be buying a couple of start batts later today when I will go over there to help get them in. Barring the engines over was on my mind last night as we all ate dinner together, and we will definitely be doing that this morning. I suggested that he shup off the battery charger for the house batts for a half hour to see how far they sag.

Better yet, purchase an inexpensive battery load tester and test the batteries. It eliminates the guess work!

$19.99 at Harbor Freight:

Or virtually the same one at NAPA for $84.69

This is all quick and dirty trying to get the boat into the hands of a broker ASAP. If the batts don't self-discharge under no load and no charge overnight, that will be good enough for gumint work.

You might want to post the boat details here on the forum before you rush to put it with a broker. If the price is right, chances are someone here on the forum may snap it up.

Also, if the price is low, you may have a difficult time getting a broker to take it on, as the perceived $$ realized to the broker for a low sale price will probably be reflected in the amount of effort said broker will expend to try and advertise/show/sell the boat.

So the suspense is killing us, what type of boat is it?!?

It's not my boat, and I just advise the family on what I think are their best options and provide some mechanical help. The wife has been so overwhelmed with the situation concerning his health and other matters over there for some years that time just seemed to slip away IRT the boat. Over time, I mentioned its deteriorating condition to her as diplomatically as possible. A couple of weeks ago, she suddenly came to the realization that it needs to go and is charging full steam ahead. I'm not so far from age 80 myself and although I can crawl around bilges tracing wiring with the best of them, I suffer for it the next day and am in need of backing away from this beast once it becomes mobile. She had asked me to sell it for them, but I demurred because I don't want the hassel. Besides, the broker I hope to get her to go with is a good guy and he does it for a living. I know only a few major details about the boat. I THINK it is a 37-foot Euro-Banker, a brand not seen here in the US much. Galley down. Two heads. Vee berth and master cabins. It has a "bustle" hull extension under where the now rotted off swimstep used to be. Twin 4-cylinder FL engines and a some sort of generator bought at a boat show in around 2000 and never really used, although he installed one of those exhaust water separator gadgets in the hull for it. Electronics? Dunno, but probably at least 30 years old. I don't know the year on manufacture of this boat but it lived on Lake Erie until he brought it here about 1999 or so. If I were to take it into my personal care, I figure around 2-4 years of my life would be involved in daily work before I would be proud enough of it to own up to the fact that I owned it. But if we can get the machinery going, it would make a nice project boat for somebody interested in that kind of hell.

Sadly. Taking this to a pro to fix for you would be way too expensive, but for the determined DIYer,,,,,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom