window tinting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can anyone identify how much tinting will affect night visibility?

Any tinting will affect night visibility.

3M has a tint that supposedly blocks heat but preserves 95% of visibility. You cannot buy it, you have to have it installed by a shop that deals with 3M. It is not cheap.

If you run the boat from inside I wouldn’t use any tint on the windows but rather use something like Pfifertex on the outside for sun control. Then remove it for running.

Any tinting will affect night visibility.

3M has a tint that supposedly blocks heat but preserves 95% of visibility. You cannot buy it, you have to have it installed by a shop that deals with 3M. It is not cheap.

Which 3M product? Ours is Prestige, and I can't say as it impacts visibility all that much.

We don't pilot from where those windows are, though, so dunno what they'd be like for movements at night.

-Chris

I have the 3M solar tint on 2 different vehicle windshields. Both were applied at the same shop. 2019 Chevy 2500 and 2018 chevy equinox. They were applied at different times about a year apart. Truck applied first soon after purchase. Equinox was 2 years old when purchased and tint was applied soon after purchase. Truck windshield has good clarity but not crystal clear. Car windshield has hazing issues to the point of halos of oncoming headlights. Will need to be replaced. Both have dark tint on side and back windows that are very clear. Both vehicles stay outside not garaged.

I have 3M Crystalline CR90 installed on my car's windshield which allows 90% of light through with no distortion and being non-metalized does not interfere with cell or GPS signals. All the other windows in the car are CR40 film. Just a thought.

And I believe for most films you do not want to clean with anything like Windex which contains ammonia.

Last edited:
My boat has heavily tinted windows all around, including the front windows in the PH. I think the tinting was done when new.

I had concerns about night time visibility. My experience is that the biggest negative impact is in low light around dusk or dawn. At night it hasn't bothered me too much. Having lived with it for a couple of years I like it, on balance. IMG_20220930_093349550_HDR~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom