Winter Storage Position

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wojo5901

Hello everyone,
I purchased a 2002 Albin 32+2 about 2 months ago from Florida. I am boating on the Chesapeake Bay. Winter is coming and I need to put it on the hard for a few months. My question is, I seem to remember someone saying that the Albin needs to be Bow up, and not level, when on the hard. If I am incorrect, please let me know. I'm sure the yard knows, but I want to make sure the boat is positioned correctly for the winter.
Thanks All........

Personally I try to make sure any boat is blocked so it's level to its resting waterline with a reasonable load condition. On many hulls (mine included) that means you do need taller blocking as you go forward as the bottom of the keel isn't parallel to the waterline. My boat sits noticeably bow down if blocked level to the keel, for example.

I would always go bow up on any boat. Unless there is some good reason not too. I have never heard of one, but you never know?

Bow up can be problematic for drainage. All boats are different, but I'd want a compelling reason to not do as rslifkin suggests.

I work in a yard that hauls and cradles about 700 boats every fall. Level waterline is the standard procedure.

Bow up can be problematic for drainage. All boats are different, but I'd want a compelling reason to not do as rslifkin suggests.
Yup. Bow up is often better than bow down for drainage, but I figure the safest assumption is that if everything drains fine and water goes where it should at a normal trim angle in the water, that's a safe option on land too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom