Wiring a new UP/DOWN switch.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seighlor

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Stardust
Vessel Make
Wilbur 34
The up/down switch for my 120v dinghy hoist is assumed to be original equipment -- vintage 1988. Recently it began sticking occasionally while in the UP position. Not good.

Afraid to try one of the ten-dollar switches available on Ebay, I ordered a new Square-D switch. Wrongly thought it would be an easy replacement.

The cable connecting the switch to the hoist has four leads plus a ground wire. The original switch provides eight terminal attachment points and was prewired with four jumper cables. The new switch has four terminal attachment points and is prewired with a single jumper strip.

I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. Many thanks in advance for any guidance in my dilemma.

940FB4E3-2021-4568-B3FB-52938A7D54E3_1_105_c.jpeg

DEE65D23-8496-47B8-8018-9EE90DB4E64E_1_105_c.jpeg

28C05A89-4B66-44F7-BB73-338073BA76CA_1_105_c.jpeg

ED73F4AF-BFC4-492C-9629-409EB91B0925_1_105_c.jpeg

FBDD920F-7F19-4174-B808-B35CEE90E3F4_1_105_c.jpeg

Your old switch was 2 dual pole push button switches breaking both black and white on each switch and reversing the output connections between orange and pink on the other switch? Please verify this with a meter.
The new switch is single pole intended to alternate black (lugs 2&3) between 1 & 4 assuming common connection inside motor.
Simple solution is to exchange new single pole switch for a unit with 2 dual pole switches.

Lugs on the new switch are labeled 3 & 4 on both sides. Does this change your thinking?
FBDD920F-7F19-4174-B808-B35CEE90E3F4_1_105_c.jpeg

BC6331C8-A1AD-4F7C-9009-C80EF760ACB2_1_105_c.jpeg

Like Turtle Blues suggests, the correct replacement switches are dual pole.
If for some reason you must use the one you bought, a relay will be needed.

Your old switch had a built-in flaw in that it would have been possible to push
both switches at once and likely blow a breaker. The new one may prevent that.

Last edited:
No, I just made a false assumption the other side of the switch would have different numbers. Premise is the same. They are single pole and you need dual pole.

Typing it is easy. Actually finding it is the problem. Just did a quick search and most are for the 3 wire setup. Will try some industrial suppliers....

Typing it is easy. Actually finding it is the problem. Just did a quick search and most are for the 3 wire setup. Will try some industrial suppliers....
The original is an assembly of two momentary dual pole switches in a housing.
A new version may have to be put together the same way, just thinking...

Agree with KnotYet.
Going down the rabbit hole trying to find something affordable isn't working.
Is there any manufacturer numbers on the individual push buttons? It may be on the bottom.

That square d pendant comes in a lot of different configurations. The one you have should have a mechanical interlock to keep you from hitting both buttons at the same time. I know I’ve seen them with complimentary contact switches too, in case of other requirements.
The old one may have used normally closed contacts to achieve the same safety. Can’t go up if it’s going down.
Don’t make any assumptions though, get a wiring schematic and verify.

Here’s a link to the catalog for them. You can see all the different configurations.
I definitely recommend using a decent quality pendant. I had a customer that wanted to use one of the cheap orange ones from Amazon/eBay, but they didn’t last in a wet environment.

The SD 9001 (and various relabels) is only a single pole switch. OP needs a DP to use existing motor wires. I didn't seem to see one in their listings.

Back
Top Bottom